RSD 2021 6/12 (pressing/overall quality review) *first drop*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Jun 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jslcaballo

jslcaballo Oh the ritual when I lay down your crooked arm

Anyone spin the Grateful Dead set yet? Debating picking this up later

2. Bigdz68

Bigdz68 Forum Resident

Definitely looking forward to someone reviewing the Link Wray before pulling the trigger later today. Hopefully it's great as originals are not cheap!

3. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Flaming Lips - Soft Bulletin Companion. Sounds OK. Very bright and "digital". Quiet vinyl, but pretty well dish warped. Even with the disc warp, with my record clamp the LP plays fine - so I can live with the dish warp.

4. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Warren Zevon. Get it if you can. It’s a great release and reminds me of why I like the guy. It’s understated but great stuff that makes you feel like he’s a guy you could have grown up with. Maybe you did.

Dennis Metz, scribbs, uzn007 and 5 others like this.
  5. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

My Quiet Kenny had a gouge in side B track A that causes a pop every rotation for 30-40 seconds...

And now I'm REALLY hoping for a stereo regular release so it doesn't hurt quite as much

Jam757 and bjlefebvre like this.
  6. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Steely Dan - Two Against Nature
    I'm very happy with this. A definite improvement over the CD, which was lacking in low end. Really good job. Disc One had a very slight edge warp, but nothing of concern. Otherwise, no centering issues and was clean and quiet.

L7 - The Beauty Process
    The good is that it's free of surface noise and flat, and cut fairly quiet, so it's very crankable. But L7 weren't known for having particularly good sounding albums, and this one isn't much of an exception. The sound is kind of thin and flat, which is too bad given the potential here for great dynamics. I'm not getting any "3-D" experience with this one, definitely. Too bad, since L7 had some really aggressive sounds in their songs; their heavy guitar riffs and pounding drums should sound like you're being attacked and crushed by them. But, they stay at a distance. Unfortunately, there are a bunch of indie '90s bands with similar issues.

DTK, mr.dave, scribbs and 4 others like this.
  7. SongAndDanceMan

Also picked the Katanga Tone Poet which was perfect. The glossy sleeve has quite a few marks and scratches which is becoming more and more typical.

AaronW likes this.
  8. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Any time I see “Picture Disc” I move on. Almost no chance that’ll be a disc I want to play.

9. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I’m sorry to hear this. Mine is perfect. Maybe the highlight of this RSD for me given the relative scarcity. How about a mono regular release? The mono sounds like it should. Hope you get one that makes you happy.

AaronW likes this.
  10. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Mine sound like crap. Strangely flattened. Lots of surface noise. But the look cool so I guess I’m okay. I have great original copies of those two albums anyway.

DHamilton and Zumbi like this.
  11. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Wow, the Tears for Fears live set sounds great!

12. SongAndDanceMan

Yea it was a bummer but i'll try to enjoy it as much as I can. I don't think mono regular release is possible since this was advertised as "RSD Exclusive"

sonofjim likes this.
  13. bad_penny

bad_penny Forum Resident

Not as quiet as I was hoping. A bit of surface noise and a few too many pops.

ElevateMeLater likes this.
  14. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I found the Def Leppard Live In Oxford 1980.Yes it is the same audio from the boxset but I really like the music .The pressing quality is dead quiet no surface noise.I had a small scratch but it still played okay.This was a good recording too.The vinyl sounds more open and fuller than the cd. ,very crankable and heavy.It may only be to my gear and room,but overall No complaints.It amazes me that this was unreleased for 40 years. I like the simple vintage concert flyer cover too.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  15. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Out of the ears of babes.

Batman21 likes this.
  16. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Rumor is yes, but standard black vinyl.

NP: Bunnymen Live in Liverpool and it is slightly dished but doesn’t effect playback. Good SQ

17. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Dusty Groove rocks. Ordered my Sundazed 'Swan Girls' RSD CD from them this afternoon.

recstar24 and yardbuzzard like this.
  18. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

It must be pretty good because all I really paid attention to was the superb performance which the sound must have contributed to enhancing.

19. yardbuzzard

yardbuzzard Forum Resident

I ordered Sundazed’s Jim Messina & Jesters from them. Sundazed’s Link Wray was sold out so I’m looking elsewhere for it.

MrSka57 likes this.
  20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Last year COVID 19 put everything in perspective, but your situation does too. This is all just stuff (albeit very excellent stuff).

I enjoyed the live TFF with my teenage son earlier. He said “good purchase dad!”.

21. Boognish

Boognish On a never-ending quest for vinyl...

The Doors was excellent with very interesting studio banter throughout the album. Very jazzy at some points and very bluesy at other times. My only con is that it's really only multiple takes of 3 songs, but this is still an excellent release that I much prefer over the Soft Parade Stripped release I was so excited about and ended up disappointedly selling later on.

22. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Warpaint "The Fool Andrew Wheaterall Mix"

Discogs has some spectacularly poor reviews concerning surface noise. Agreed, the - great looking - double gold vinyl is not as quiet as it should be but: Mastering, artwork and the alternate mix are really nice. So it's really down to a mix of luck and what one does expect/ is willing to tolerat. I mean... it's gold vinyl not a MFSL disc. :evil:

Bottom line: My copy is not a demonstration disc but also not bad enough to return.

mr.dave and Karmageddon like this.
  23. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

I'll add to the cheers for the Quiet Kenny. Has that Kevin Gray magic. Vinyl is nice and flat, too. No noise that I've heard so far.

I listened to the first side of Toots and it was noisy - some pops here and there for me. But I almost kind of expect that as most reggae albums I own are beaters. I'll gave to give it a cleaning. It does have improved sound quality overall - some details emerging from the mud of earlier pressings for sure. Vinyl is flat. I already noticed some dirt or something on the white vinyl of side two. I'm almost hoping that's from stems and seeds or something.

24. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

I would either email Craft or the pressing plant to see if anyone could help you out. Couple years ago I was able to get a replacement copy for a bum copy of the Dylan Blood on the Tracks RSD release.

uzn007 and CBackley like this.
  25. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Normally, I agree!

I didn’t know The Kinks Percy is a picture disc, but I was astounded at how quiet it is and such great sound (for a Kinks record).

Years ago, Steve H laid out the EQ moves he would make to coax a good sound out of those Pye mixes. Somebody made notes, I think.

sonofjim, uzn007 and oldjollymon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.