Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Angel Dream (She’s The One OST reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Saul Pimon, Apr 7, 2021.

1. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

Did they say anything when you grabbed the only copy before them?

2. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Runs to 6:03. Another 40 seconds or so?

onm3rcur7 likes this.
  3. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Only “where’s your wildflowers trucker’s hat? And your juju beads? Call yourself a Tom Petty fan?”

4. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

Brilliant.

ARK and windfall like this.
  5. PantherInCrime

PantherInCrime Forum Resident

Having enjoyed this record a lot since it was released, I gotta say that this feels pretty weak. I understand the estate’s plan and respect it, but this would’ve been a lot cooler as the original album with a bonus disc of the new discoveries. With that said, I now want a set of everything they did with Stan in 93 all in one place. Maybe after the long-talked about Fillmore set…?

6. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I need to spend more time with it but my instinct after one listen is that this is a poorer collection than the original STO, yes.
    I do enjoy hugely all the songs w Stan. Wake up time above all. I respect Steve Ferrone’s work but *love* Stanley’s.

7. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

Well my anxiety from not having any RSD participating stores close by has subsided. I was able to pick up a cobalt copy on Discogs for what I consider a fair price ($25 + $5S&H). There are many already listed. I can now exhale.

faceinthecrowd and windfall like this.
  8. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

@John Fell you’d like this story, mate.

So, yesterday I had to end a close friendship after five years. She loved Tom’s music, and always willing to listen to all the fun facts I knew about him (thanks to Zollo and Zanes books, but also our very own @McCool ), and was the first person in my offline life to contact me when she heard Tom died. “Walls” was our song, especially after I played it for her following a lunch I treated her to before everything in the world went sour. She had separated from her husband, but right before the worldwide lockdown, she got back together with him, and our friendship limped along for a year, and he finally made it so that she and I were fully wedged apart by him. My anxiety was out of control, I didn’t sleep at all last night.

This morning, I went to my local shop straight from my parents’ house 20 mins away. I saw a big queue, and I didn’t know how RSD worked, especially there. The shop owner said that they only had three copies, and two guys in front of me kept asking, “You want the Tom Petty?” I was wary of telling these strangers, but as the line crept along, eventually I told them as two copies walked off. When we finally got to the milk crates holding all the exclusive releases, the guy at the front pulls the stack the last copy of Angel Dream is in and says, “Cut in front of me…this is yours.” All the people behind me cheered, and I was so moved.

I went home after a few errands and put the album on. It was what I needed. “Angel Dream” is a song with another close friend who lost everything she owned in a house fire a month after Tom died. Could “Change The Locks” now be this ended friend’s song to me? But, I cried for the first time in a long time when “Walls” came on, right when Tom sang “I’m coming back someday”. When “105 Degrees” came on, the lyrics seemed to speak about everything that had happened yesterday. “Supernatural Radio” is another one that describes yesterday’s events.

I don’t really want to reveal too much until after the album sees it’s general release, but I will say that @ryan de topanga did an amazing job, and I will support any and all releases he is involved with. He’s the man!

God bless Tom Petty. He continues to give, he continues to heal my hurt, he continues to be there for me when I've got nowhere to run. He brought me to this friend, and he’s helping me get over her. She can go, but she got lucky when she found me.

9. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Look man, we've all been there.
    Good luck.

andy75, ARK, jammincrowe and 9 others like this.
  10. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

[​IMG]

11. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

He only plays drums on three songs.

PantherInCrime likes this.
  12. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

What songs?

13. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Sounds good to me. Great even. It’s an album with a laid-back vibe. I guess to some that equals “weak” but whatevs.

The mix is great, the vinyl *did* need two cleanings. But it cleaned up great and I’m happy. I was never that familiar with the original soundtrack album, so to me this is a whole new TP album!

14. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

105 Degrees, 13 Days and One of Life’s Little Mystery’s

15. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

Posted this in the RSD thread but my record is super noisy. Cleaned it prior to playing but I'm rather disappointed. The Bellman 2017 cuts are all fantastic, and the recent Wildflowers release is superb. I do wonder if the clear blue vinyl is to blame. Either way, I'm hoping that the standard LP that I have on preorder will be a lot quieter.

Porkpie and jumpinjulian like this.
  16. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I cleaned mine several times but, it has pops and skips.

Porkpie and jumpinjulian like this.
  17. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

“Walls (Circus)” is one of the greatest album openers of all time. As patchy as the rest of “She’s The One” may be, “re-imagining” it without its most definitive track is such a bizarre move - it almost defeats the purpose of this release for me (as much as I want to hear the unreleased songs).

18. Jeff Bramwell

Jeff Bramwell Forum Resident

[MODEST SPOILER ALERT]

Since absolutely no one asked, I figured I'd weigh in with some thoughts...

- My pressing seems to be very noisy, crackly and poppy. I'll clean it tomorow and hope that improves. Most importantly, that is my only complaint. Maybe it's not the greatest album cover of all time, but that doesn't diminish the quality of the music or the new mix/master one iota. I'll simply choose to remember the yellow album cover or I won't. Time will tell.
    - If we were all hearing this material for the first time, then "Walls (No. 3)" would be a show stopper. Count me among the people that favor the "Circus" version, but damn if this version doesn't sound amazing on this new release.
    - On that note, everything sounds so good with more space to breathe in the new mix. Everything @ryan de topanga touches turns to gold.
    - @windfall and I have been in lockstep in our public and private comments about the vast majority of TP-related things over the past year, but I will very respectfully disagree with his assesment of "One Of Life's Little Mysteries." To me its a perfectly solid, very Geroge Harrison-esque tune, like a precursor to "The Man Who Loves Women" and, given that it has Stan on it, an interesting indicator of the new direction Tom was taking/about to take.
    - I'm so happy that Thirteen Days is so close in style to the Gainesville '93 live performance. That is the end-all-be-all Petty version of this track in my opinion. Counting this among the "new" Wildflowers material, this is pretty high up on the list for me after Harry Green, the alternate version of Crawling Back to You and maybe a small handful of other tracks.
    - Supernatural Radio sounds *almost* like a different take rather than an extended version of the same cut. Benmont's parts seem more dissonant and jazzy...maybe he's just more up front in the mix. Anyway...it's great.

As always, many thanks to @McCool and @ryan de topanga for their involvement here. I know it got pretty pissy for a while. I hope we're all over that now, and that it didn't scare them off.

Now...after we get the digital release and some time to live with this release...what's next?!

Fillmore box with hi-res, video, 5.1, replica posters, ...hell yeah. Take the last of my money.
    De-VSO'd Long After Dark (with outtakes?!)...yes please!
    Southern Accents with Stan (or Steve) re-cutting the drums? Well...I can dream.

Okay, I hope you can all sleep better now knowing how I feel about this.

ARK, Billy_Sunday, davenav and 13 others like this.
  19. Lucas Ransom

Lucas Ransom Well-Known Member

KinkySmallFace1991, what a review. I don't like to use cliches, but "thanks for sharing." My most emotionally-charged experience buying an album the day of its release was Bob Dylan's "Love and Theft," on September 11, 2oo1.

Back to Petty Land, listening to "Hung Up and Overdue" can somehow lift me out of my misery and tear me to pieces at the same time.

Take it easy, but take it!

20. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

I cleaned mine 3 times with a spin clean and played the first two songs through a few times and there’s terrible static that won’t go away from halfway through track one into the first half of track two.
    So very disappointed. I paid $75AU.
    I have every other TP vinyl reissue and they are all flawless.
    I really enjoy the overall and sound new mix. And the new track sequence works really well.

Bakeryrec likes this.
  21. Minafer

Minafer Forum Resident

Super clean sounding copy here. I will say WB/Petty estate is cutting costs and using paper sleeves on almost everything lately. With the exception of the wildflowers and all the rest Uber box…..ANGEL DREAM, American Treasure, and even the gold finding wildflowers alt versions have all come with paper sleeves. My American treasure was so bad I returned it.
    I wonder if I got luckily with my copy today.

KinkySmallFace1991 and FJFP like this.
  22. Bakeryrec

Bakeryrec Forum Resident

My cobalt blue copy of Angel Dream that I picked up for RSD yesterday sounds great…no issues at all of any significance. The remixes are excellent, warm and present. The songs have a nice flow, like a proper album. A concise album. Well done, and I’m glad they did it. The newly added songs are cool. “…Little Mysteries” reminds me of Dylan’s last 10 years .

And…I went back and reviewed /re-listened to the last vinyl release of the original She’s The One soundtrack. I like that too.

(yes, I “remastered” the album cover colors a bit ;) )

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    ARK, FJFP and Groovy like this.
  23. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Any improvement in sound quality over the vinyl reissue of She’s The One? I always thought that one from the box set still sounded a bit compressed and should have been spread over 2lp. I’ll likely pick this up anyway as I’m a Perty freak but just wondering.

Bakeryrec likes this.
  24. Bakeryrec

Bakeryrec Forum Resident

I just listened to both. I think Angel Dream is definitely less compressed sounding, warmer and more present, though I didn’t think that last recent She’s The One sounded bad necessarily.

Jam757 and Groovy like this.
  25. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Great, thanks. Yes, the She’s The One vinyl definitely doesn’t sound bad, just requires decent volume. Maybe only marginally better than the CD. The artwork on Angel Dream is beautiful by the way!

WhatDoIKnow and Bakeryrec like this.