RSD 2021 6/12 (pressing/overall quality review) *first drop*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Jun 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

Oof. That's heartbreaking. I'd definitely see if they can make it right .

I'm actually checking with a buddy of mine who has an earlier pressing to see if its the same metal. Get On Down is hit or miss IME. The sound on their records is usually pretty good but not great, at least from the stuff I've heard from them (Toots, Dr. John and Miles Davis).

UPDATE: Friend chimed in. It's the same metal. But this one is on white-and-turquoise vinyl :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    uzn007 and driverdrummer like this.
  2. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Picked up the Tangerine Dream church album, even though I knew it was digital. However, I had no idea it was a picture disc (it does it it is, so no false advertising) I just assumed it was colored vinyl. Listening to disc one now and the noise is not overwhelming thus far, but its not silent.

3. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

Good idea! I've never emailed a label or plant before, I know there is a general contact form for Craft and RTI but would there be a direct complaint email?

Karmageddon likes this.
  4. Duncan Day

Duncan Day Middle Aged Savage

I’ve got CDrs of the Tears For Fears live which my record store mate knocked up for me from his records and that sounds ok, nothing mind blowing but listenable with a bit of volume. That might be down to his hardware though. I wasn’t present when he did it.

5. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Any reviews of the Bobo Jenkins yet? Would love to get this one if it’s a decent sounding one.

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  6. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

I emailed RTI when my BS&T 1 Step's were majorly dish warped. The worst warps I've ever seen. 1/4" rise...First set and the replacement set. 3rd set had one flat LP.

And I waited.

bjlefebvre and SongAndDanceMan like this.
  7. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

After spinning an absolutely fantastic Two Against Nature, my Everything Must Go has a few skips on the first track on both sides.

8. Kenny Lagers

Kenny Lagers good ears beat good gear

The Fela LP is outstanding. There really are no bad Fela records imo, but Open & Close is maybe my favorite. Side B is just killer. I’m truly thrilled to have it—gonna listen to it a ton, I can already tell.

I also got both Police live albums, Tears for Fears Live at Massey Hall, the Soft Bulletin Companion, and Quiet Kenny, so plenty to keep me busy all night.

9. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

So it isn’t just me. I haven’t listened to the CD in ages, but I’m listening to the LP now and I was thinking that I didn’t remember the low end sounding this good on the CD. I still don’t think the sound is as good as Everything Must Go, but it sounds better than I was expecting.

10. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Two Against Nature is fantastic, well pressed and sounds great.

bguzman, alx7, LivingForever and 4 others like this.
  11. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

Well, I haven't done an A/B with any other copies of Mob Rules. But I have to say I am pleasantly surprised that the pic disc is quite listenable. Sure it has the usual low level swooshing background noise in silent parts that is usually present with pic discs. And without cleaning it, there are some pops and ticks, but no more than the typical standard pressing these days.

My copy jumped at the start of Side 2 but before the music starts. A little more antiskate may help there. And I have some noise in the opening of Sign of the Southern Cross. But again, not so much that I would never play it again. Honestly I remember not liking the latest remaster on CD. But when I dropped the needle here, I actually thought it sounded pretty good. Not too bright. Drums sound nice. Vocals are front and center.

Ya get what ya get with these things. But it sure looks cool!

Zumbi and sillycornelius like this.
  12. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

I settled for just using their support form on their website since I can't find an email address. Hopefully they are open 8 Days A Week, because I need Help! I need somebody

bjlefebvre likes this.
  13. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

These Black Sabbath picture discs are nothing but a money grab. They are great if you plan on hanging them on the wall. :mad:

Erik B. and hi_watt like this.
  14. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

Yeah, Elton John - Regimental Sgt. Zippo is better than I expected too. The Jacket and sleeve are high quality. The record is pressed perfectly. And the music is great. This is what you should receive in most RSD releases.

15. dee

dee Senior Member

Do you know if John bass is situated to the left and if are drums in mono or stereo? My rig is down for a few weeks. Are Pete and John's backing vocals in the correct channels per the stage? Any additional info or insight appreciated. Hope you enjoy the records.

16. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

My nearest store is about 1000 miles from me so I ordered The Beauty Process online and can’t wait to hear it. I know what you mean about the detached, thin sound of their albums but I was kind of hoping that after the excellent reissue of Smell The Magic last year that this one would get a bit of a sonic upgrade.

audiotom and bloodlemons like this.
  17. Tattooed Headshrinker

Tattooed Headshrinker Accidentally Like A Martyr

Similar to previous comments, my copy of Funky Kingston had 2 or 3 pops on Side 1, none on Side 2. I wouldn’t consider my copy to be noisy though. I had to turn the volume up as loud as it would go before I heard any noise between tracks, and there still wasn’t any noticeable noise during tracks even at the highest volume.

uzn007, black sheriff and bjlefebvre like this.
  18. I've had this CD since it came out about 15 plus years ago. Piano Demos. Intimate minimal and beautiful. Songs from his first two records. Haven't spun the LP set yet.

sonofjim likes this.
  19. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Iggy Pop looks and sounds great (to me)

DTK likes this.
  20. All pictures discs are mediocre. Not sure why people still buy them. Might as well buy an ashtray with your favorite bands logo on it.

Stormrider77, DTK, PooreBoy and 13 others like this.
  21. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

feel exactly the same way. it’s the kind of thing record stores attach to a string and hang from the ceiling to swing in the breeze, nothing more.

22. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Hahaha. Now that is funny!!!!!

Erik B. likes this.
  23. somebodywhocares

somebodywhocares Forum Resident

For those who bought The Who Face Dances: does anyone else's yellow disc (disc 2) have a bunch of black dots and/or "smears" on the record? I've cleaned it, and these appear to be part of the vinyl itself, but they don't look intentional.
    I just played it, and the record plays great.
    Just curious if mine is "blemished" or if they all look like that.

24. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

happens quite a bit with colored pressings. I’ve usually seen them on recent white vinyl that never ends up being completely white.

marcb, AaronW, uzn007 and 1 other person like this.
  25. Tattooed Headshrinker

Tattooed Headshrinker Accidentally Like A Martyr

Yep! I really wish people would stop buying them so companies would stop releasing them. It especially sucks when it’s an album you otherwise would have bought if it hadn’t been released as a picture disc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.