Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Keith Jarrett/Gary Peacock/Jack De Johnette - Standards Vol. 1 (ECM PROZ-1090)

Now playing another ECM SHM-SACD that will be available again in less than two weeks. Great album by a great trio.

[​IMG]

2. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

Before that Gato LP, I was always interested in acquiring a new LP by him; after it, I was never sure of what I'd be buying.
    Saw him live c. 1977 or so with Bernard Purdie and other percussionists in support of the live double that was out at the time, and it was an excellent show, which made the later events even sadder to me; I'd guess that 'the economics' worked out for him though...
    As for the Duke, I like it; this is one of my favorite tracks, Don Redman's early '30s 'Ellingtonesque' Chant of the Weed:

3. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

Playing all my XRCD’s , this is a good one.

Wes Montgomery
    Full House
    VICJ 61056

Johnny Griffin
    Wynton Kelly
    Paul Chambers
    Jimmy Cobb

My favorite live guitar recording. Not just great guitar but Wynton’s solos are sparkling and Johnny Griffin rips. Rhythm section smokes.

XRCD has great detail and clarity. Very live sounding recording.

4. dennis the menace

Agree. One of the best sounding XRCD I heard. :righton:

5. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

T-Bone Walker - T-Bone Blues

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. dennis the menace

Ornette Coleman - Free Jazz (Atlantic WPCR-27362)

A feast for the senses. Intense but the playing is so good that you enjoy every second. Great !!!

[​IMG]

peter1, vanhooserd, Mugrug12 and 14 others like this.
  7. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Today's post-brunch spin

[​IMG]

Berthold, Ant G, Glenn coates and 7 others like this.
  8. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

The Oscar Peterson Trio - A Jazz Portrait of Frank Sinatra (Verve Records, 1959)
    [​IMG]

Recorded May 18, 1959, in Paris

The Oscar Peterson Trio:

Oscar Peterson - Piano
    Ray Brown - Bass
    Ed Thigpen - Drums

Producer: Norman Granz​

roverb, Berthold, vanhooserd and 10 others like this.
  9. ILovethebassclarinet

davidpoole and frightwigwam like this.
  10. HMC Records HM 830 724 - Buddy Rich Band " The Magic Of Buddy Rich" - rec. 1984 -Engineer: Bob Richardson & David Floyd

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  11. ILovethebassclarinet

Makes me wonder how many different ones there are of these:

Pretty funny, if you're not on the receiving end, that is.

12. The Magic Of Buddy Rich

DISCOGS lists 6 different editions of the LP above (1 copy on cassette)

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  13. ILovethebassclarinet

I have one on a CD that has 'similar' (not necessarily rants at the band, but various explosions, losses of tempers, stretches of cursing, "off-color ditties," etc.) things by a number of others, including Ray Charles and Freddie Hubbard.
    I find such things interesting as to me they help illuminate the person - I get that some people actively "don't want to know."

14. ILovethebassclarinet

Ended up playing this post-Mingus, as it's new here and I'd yet to play it.
    [​IMG]
    As I was doing so, thought of Kidd Jordan & Hamid, then Lester Bowie and Philip Wilson/Bobo Shaw, then of this Lester classic which is now sitting next to the Pullen LP by the TT:
    F Troop Rides Again isn't a duet, but...
    [​IMG]

Ant G, charlesp, jay.dee and 8 others like this.
  15. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Clifford Brown - Jam Session
    [​IMG]

Clifford Brown is one bad cat! Really, just Clifford himself is all the wicked hot brass one need on an album, but here, we also get Clark Terry and Maynard Ferguson... jam session indeed! Somehow all these cats (including Harold Land on sax and Max Roach on drums) take some standards at positively breakneck speed, but still ooze feel and fluidity throughout. Anybody who only knows Maynard Ferguson from his later forays into commercial territory needs to hear this album; his trademark shredding-so-high-only-dogs-can-hear is there in full, but he's soloing like a total hard bop ninja.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  16. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Clark Terry - Swahili
    [​IMG]

So after the Clifford Brown All Star Jam Session, I was really grooving with all that shredding brass and decided it was more. Not knowing Clark Terry's catalog quite as well as Brown or Fergusons, I decided to go there, specifically grabbing this, his first as leader. Alternatively released as "Introducing Clark Terry" or just "Clark Terry," this turned out to be a rather thrilling set! The opening title, while loaded with great soloing from Terry, really stands out for its incredible percussion courtesy of Art Blakey who sounds as though he's prepping for his later "Orgy in Rhythm" session.... dude is fire! Not a lot of folks could keep up with that, but Terry does, bringing a Dizzy-esque vibe and hanging note for note with mad man Blakey! You know that old cliche "the most fun you can have with your clothes on"? Well, this is it in spades right here. I dunno', maybe you could do Swahili with your clothes off, too. I can't imagine it not being king size fun in any context.

The fun continues throughout the entire album, although not as much so as in that delightfully raucous opener. Quincy Jones's arrangements are always totally on point, Horace Silver provides the perfect foundation with his creative and engaging vamping, and the rest of the front line keeps the pace. Nary a weak cut to be had, but there's an especially strong streak in the latter half of the album with "Co-Op," "Kitten" (where slide man Jimmy Cleveland and baritonist Cecil Payne really shine), and the gloriously melodious "Countess."

Fun meter pegged for sure.

juanmanuel, Mark J, peter1 and 8 others like this.
  17. jbg

jbg Senior Member

18. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

This one I’ve never heard of. Good on ya for keeping “Secrets”. Iirc even the mosaic release of that one is a vinyl needle drop. Of all the folks on the thread whose record collections I’d love to check out, you are at the top of the list!

:cheers:

19. Yes, Caliente seems like a turning point for Barbieri. Not necessarily a positive one.

Glad to read a positive note about Blakey's Orgy in Rhythm. 'Split Skins' is one of my go to demonstration tracks for jazz newbies.
    Though maybe it scares them away with its drum solo ferocity.

NP: Bill Perkins Quintet featuring Victor Feldman - Quietly There (Riverside 1970 OG LP)

I had Feldman pegged as vibes, but he's here vamping on what sounds like a Hammond B3.
    The album is aptly titled. It is quietly there. Gently grooving. Bossa, soul jazz. Perkins is shifting between four different wind instruments. Makes for a gentle but diverse set.
    [​IMG]

20. NP: Mercer Ellington - Hot and Bothered, A Recreation (Doctor Jazz 1985, rec. in LA 1984. LP)

Was expecting a nepotistic homage, but this is just plain fun! High energy, rich recording.
    Still an homage, but worthy in its own right.

[​IMG]

almost unison and StarThrower62 like this.
  21. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    1997 Decapo

I used to listen to this band a lot in the late 90s and early 2000s. Pierre and his wife Irene Becker wrote some great material for this excellent ensemble.

Irish51, almost unison and jay.dee like this.
  22. The Carrot Guy

The Carrot Guy Forum Resident

Last night, Jaco Pasotrius:

[​IMG]

First listen to this masterpiece yesterday. Outside of Miles/Mwandishi/Headhunters I am not a big fusion fan which is why I'd passed this up numerous times before. But a used (CD) copy for $AUD6 was enough to tempt me into finding out what I've been missing out on - this is the real deal.

mwheelerk, markp, Ant G and 4 others like this.
  23. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Sorry guys, I’ve just seen this morning that I posted Solid twice. That nightcap I had must have been stronger than I thought! :nyah:

24. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Jaco did a different kind of fusion. R&B and jazz as opposed to jazz/rock.

25. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Current listen....
    Thelonious Monk - Palo Alto: The Custodian's Mix (2021)
    1968 performance
    [​IMG]