CSNY Deja Vu 50th anniversary reissue - May 14, 2021 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Josip, Mar 15, 2020.

1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

considering all that i've read, it is quite possible that young didn't show up at all, he may have recorded his parts somewhere else and sent a tape :shrug:

and i so agree, damn the lack of documentation, double damn

Chief and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. Ern

Ern Senior Member

The lack of recording info on this set is stupid and surprising, since Neil Young's arquive releases, Stills and Crosby box sets all have that!!!

supermd, ronbow, Matthew Tate and 4 others like this.
  3. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

The most disappointing thing about this box besides the lack of Neil stuff. It’s a great set, and I am enjoying it. But the lack of documentation is so surprising, especially since the CSN box shows that they have all that.

supermd, ronbow, Matthew Tate and 5 others like this.
  4. 24JGM

24JGM Forum Resident

A couple weeks ago, I sent a message to the NYA archivist asking which songs Neil was on and if the songs would be placed in the file cabinet. This was the response:

"Thank you so much for this request/suggestion.

This is something we'd love to add to the site if and when that information becomes available. Unfortunately, we can't say right now if we'll be adding this information.

We appreciate your inquiry, and it's been noted and passed along.

Thanks for being a part of the archives!

—The Archives Team
    "

So no, it would not appear they have the info on hand at least at NYA. I would also wager your last sentence is highly likely.

ronbow and zuma11 like this.
  5. lp_zep

lp_zep Forum Resident

Thank you very much!

24JGM likes this.
  6. St. Matthew

St. Matthew Forum Resident

Is anyone else who has the vinyl box replacing the inner sleeves of the Demos, Alternates, and Outtakes sets? Those sleeve are making me nervous and leaving superficial marks on mine...

Gonzo-a-gogo likes this.
  7. Gonzo-a-gogo

Gonzo-a-gogo Tombstone hand, graveyard mind

I have. Are you also finding the sleeves themselves inordinately tight, and difficul to remove the LPs from?

8. St. Matthew

St. Matthew Forum Resident

Yup. Very tight.

9. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

In one of the recent Stills interviews he said that everybody thinks played all the parts on “Ivory Tower”, but he thought it was a band track. I think “everybody” is correct, but we’ll probably never know for sure.

What do you remember of your own out-takes that feature here?
    There’s one track on here that everybody says I played all the parts, but it sounds to me like it’s all of us together. That’s the song “Ivory Tower”. It was eventually released under a different name with Manassas. I recorded it four or five times, this is the second one. Then I stepped back and thought the lyrics were kind of mean so I lightened up again and released it under the title “Little Miss Bright Eyes”. That song was originally about all of us. We were all quite full of ourselves and it was that teenage angst at almost 30.

Stephen Stills on CSNY: "We were all quite full of ourselves" | UNCUT

10. lp_zep

lp_zep Forum Resident

Thanks. Stills undoubtedly plays the two lead guitars panned left and right, as well as the piano. The bass sounds busy enough to be Reeves. I don't hear Crosby's guitar playing on that track.
    The debate is whether the third guitar, panned in the center, is played by Stills or Young. Could be either.
    At this stage, I don't think we can count on their memories or on what they think they recognize on those tracks. At least Stills is rather honest in his statement.
    I suppose the studio documentation might have been incomplete, and not knowing what to indicate for several tracks, they opted to not indicate anything.

Chief, Matthew Tate and Tom Daniels like this.
  11. MidnightRocks

MidnightRocks Forum Resident

Ivory Tower is a real highlight for me. A great track it just lacks focus or something to make the most of it. I think it could have come out in the 90s and sounded contemporary.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

thanks for trying....alas, i fear we may never know.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Has anyone asked Stephen Barncard? Didn't he engineer some sessions at Wally Heider's or am I completely off the mark...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

barncard did a lot with 'if i could only remember my name'.....not sure what role, if any, he played in 'deja vu'

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

He was tape op.

Matthew Tate and marmalade166 like this.
  16. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Here's Michael Fremer's aspect on 50th anniversary Deja Vu along with an 18min interview with Nash. Not sure if this has been posted earlierm Towards the end of the interview, he throws in the question about a "reunion". Cbeck it out.
    Graham Nash Weighs In on Déjà vu 51 Years On

laf848 and Myke like this.
  17. sangfreud

sangfreud Forum Resident

the box is supposed to come with a download code, yes? either mine is missing or i'm a dummy and don't know where to look for it. did others' boxes come with a download code?

18. sangfreud

sangfreud Forum Resident

note i am obviously not asking for the code, just where to find it!

19. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I've been on the fence for quite a while now, this post helped push me off.

I don't give a damn what others say about Fremer, I like him, and I not only agree most of the time, but trust what he hears as I always hear the same. I do already have a Classic by Mr. Grundman, and look forward to hearing the differences.

Thank you both Gentlemen. :tiphat:

sonofjim likes this.
  20. sangfreud

sangfreud Forum Resident

oh ok, searching this thread it seems like the download code is supposed to come by email. i just wrote to rhino asking them where my email is.

boboquisp, robtodd and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

The whole 5 LP set is awesome IMO. I really hope you love it too. It’s one of my favorites of the year so far.

One of the things it did for me was to increase my appreciation of Crosby. You can just tell when a song is his. He was on fire at that time. No one else had the feel he did. I’m not sure anyone has since.

supermd, Biff Jones, Peachy and 5 others like this.
  22. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I can't afford $50.00 per record, no I got the original album + 5 CDs on sale for $70.00.

Matthew Tate and sonofjim like this.
  23. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

I don’t think the “rights” of the artist are being argued as much as the judgement or behavior. The artist certainly retains the right to do whatever he wishes, including burning the tapes if that is his wish. But the behavior which withholds obvious key tracks from such a major release, well, that is just plain selfish and ignorant.

However, i’m not letting such churlish behavior diminish the enjoyment of what we did get. It is a fine - if flawed - release!

Yes, welcome to SIOC! I think many became aware with the Beatles Vinyl sets, where they were Shipped In Own Container with custom cardboard boxes and styro inserts to absorb all shock and protect the precious cargo. Vinyl albums typically see a high return rate as is - vinyl skips, corner crimped - so where the heavy big-ticket set is concerned, it just makes sense. The Dead have been doing it for their big multi-disc sets for some time, with custom graphics carried over from the box set. And even smaller 2- and 3-disc sets, Beatles for instance, are sent to distributors pre-packaged in the shippers.

And yes, i keep these big bespoke shipping cartons - it is somewhat nerdy, but also useful if / when you decide to sell some of your prized sets.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

silver threads and golden needles........maybe linda can help?

25. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

No, we can’t count on their memories. Stills says he ended up releasing it with Manassas. It is on Stephen Stills 2.