Is there an obscure band, musician, song that you love? Share with us. Post it on this thread..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 30, 2021.

1. John54

John54 Senior Member

You're welcome! That's one of the reasons I come here, to find unknown songs I like and to do the same for others.

I agree, I haven't heard any others of theirs that move me, they were just a pop group, probably Beach Boys-influenced, maybe even "pre-bubblegum" might apply. From their long-ish list of singles on Wikipedia, I had only heard I'm a Fool, Not the Lovin' Kind, and If You're Thinking What I'm Thinking apart from Two in the Afternoon (the A-side of the one I posted here). They're all pretty good, but not necessarily great.

CliffL likes this.
  2. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Synopsis Tany Mena (Terre Rouge) (from Gamme, 1979)

3. the real pope ondine

the real pope ondine Forum Resident

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

richard torrance - 7 albums in the mid-70's, one of which is available on CD only from france

wrote 'rio de janiero blue'

5. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

Catherine Howe - What a Beautiful Place

6. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

Nino Ferrer - Nino and Radiah

Interpolantics likes this.
  7. I wish that I could find a video of it, But I haven't been able to. The song is "Saunders Ferry Lane" by Clare. She is actually Clare Torry, who is most famous for howling like a beached whale in Pink Floyd's "The Great Gig In The Sky". The "Saunders..." record was released on 2 45 rpm singles back in the 1970's. The first release was also the first release on the Mobile Fidelity Productions record label and was produced by label founder Brad Miller. The 2nd release was on the A&M record label and produced by the Graham/Mendes group. Clare's rendition of this song shows that she really can sing.[​IMG]

8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

This is a fascinating slice of early Mobile Fidelity history. Interesting about the Clare Torry vocal. I am listening to some 1967 late mono Hawaiian music. Decca DL 4952 "Hawaii's Greatest Hits" and a White Label Promo copy.

9. Kieran White

Kieran White Forum Resident

A not wellknown band from Hamburg.
    Straight hard rock.

A 12 minute tune from 1973

Lilac Angels: Automobile

10. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

There's a guy in Canada called Danny Michel that's been a singer/songwriter for quite a while. He's a huge Bowie fan & fairly early in his career he released a CD of Bowie covers that was really good. Some very nice & unusual arrangements.

The CD List Guy likes this.
  11. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Here's Danny Michel doing one of his own songs.

12. Transience

Transience Forum Resident

Sweet Billy Pilgrim. Great band currently working on their 6th album. This is from their 4th (Motorcade Amnesiacs).

MicSmith likes this.
  13. drowningdeep

drowningdeep Dude

14. The CD List Guy

The CD List Guy Matthew The K's Covers & Others Podcast

Beautiful version of this on lead singer Richard Barone's "Cool Blue Halo" album.

lonelysea likes this.
  15. The CD List Guy

So many to choose from...I guess it's best to post once a week. This is the first one that came to mind. I had the vinyl way back when, sold it, and then couldn't find it for years. This is the "hit" off the album.

"The classic 'I Remember Cissy's Baby' from the first Jake And the Family Jewels Album."

16. The CD List Guy

So I listened to a large majority (parts of each song/video, that is) of all 18 pages (as of this writing) of this thread and made a playlist of my favorites. Needless to say (say it anyway), it is based on my subjective tastes, combined with a bunch of other factors that would be too long to list. I started with an instrumental as a kind of overture. I hope that at least some of you will enjoy!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLg_vNWyQLaUX_7Nh-9zxxfLFp0RJwXAzV

17. Yes. I have provided the pictures of my singles for Discogs and in the history of Mobile Fidelity. Years ago, I asked Mobile Fidelity why they hadn't acknowledged their first label release and they answered that it wasn't them. lol It's true that Brad Miller started MFP and was releasing on other record labels before he founded his own. After Brad passed, the company was bought by someone else, but I find it strange that Mofi won't acknowledge Brad's earlier releases.

McLover likes this.
  18. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Spit Shine

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  19. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

20. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

I guess Cat is relatively obscure

GregL likes this.
  21. Rob P S

Rob P S Senior Member

22. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Patti Rothberg

23. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

Doug Smith is an acoustic fingerstyle guitarist with amazing technique, and he writes great pieces to match. I picked up a cassette copy of his Order of Magnitude a long time ago on a whim...and it has never left me.

Dok likes this.
  24. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

25. Grahamstuartcanada

Grahamstuartcanada We play two kinds of music “new” and “wave”

Neglectra