RSD 2021 6/12 (pressing/overall quality review) *first drop*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Jun 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

So far I’ve spun

Toots & the Maytals - Funky Kingston

As has been noted this one has more noise than one would like from a new LP. The music itself is fine.

The Zombies - Oddities

Sounds fine with the mono switch. Some really great songs that I’d never heard before. It’s Varese, so if you have their O&O it’s a similar quality sound wise.

uzn007 likes this.
  2. PB Point

PB Point Forum Resident

STELLAR!!!!!!

The Custodian has got to be the best soundman on the WestCoast. Blown Away, this does not sound like a High School auditorium…though the Palo Alto High School is also famous for JerryGarcia/BobWeir/Grateful Dead I believe.

The inserts are worth the album alone. Seeing an ad in the “Program” insert from Dana Morgan’s Music Shop took me back to reading all about the Dead before the internet.

Don’t blame me/Blue Monk is epic.

This IS a Historical piece.

Insane quality.

3. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

And to think, these picture discs make the pressing plants just that more backed up. Totally pointless releases

violetvinyl, sennj and Mazzy like this.
  4. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

I’ve called RTI before, but do t remember what department I ended up talking to. Think there is a general phone number o their website which you can probably get to reception and see where they can connect you.

I think the Kenny Dorham album was pressed at Gotta Groove, right? Would probably check out their website and see if you can track down a phone number or email. Seems like most places kept an eye on social media so you can also send a tweet or Instagram message if that’s more your thing.

5. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

They were listed as RSD first, so they should be and given how in demand they seemed to be, it would make sense. The real question, assuming they haven't already pressed them is when they can make it into the pipeline.

violetvinyl likes this.
  6. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

You convinced me to buy a copy from Plaid Room's online sale.
    Darn you!

uzn007 and Kenny Lagers like this.
  7. bjlefebvre

Again, curious - have you heard the 2020 pressing? I'm really confused how this differs from the pressing they released literally a year ago.

But yeah, the concert itself is great. Last year's pressing was marred by wide-spread warping, hence why my copy is currently sitting underneath some heavy objects to flatten out.

thecomposer10 likes this.
  8. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

The Police Live Vol 1 | Boston - great sound/great mix; blue vinyl is pretty sweet. Record 1 a little warped (VPI weight took care of that), centered, quiet. Record 2 is flat, quiet, centered.

Fun to hear Andy’s tone and performance on this, really nice/pro. All 3 instruments, vox, and backup vox are well mixed. And their performances are spot on. Not a lot of crowd noise though, (for a Boston audience) except during call and response.
    • “Next to You” is pretty fast/might fall off the tightrope, but a good rendition.
    • “So Lonely” too much Sting..
    • “Truth Hits Everybody” sounds like Stewart kicks it off before Sting can turn into 2-minute low-cal audience banter at the start, lol.
    • “Walking on the Moon” is perfect.
    • “Hole in my Life” - great! (As is rest of LP1, side B)
    Weird: on the LP2 center label, one side lists song order to both sides, with a picture of the band on the other side, but the side with the listing plays Side B, not Side A.

Again, really happy with the sound, didn’t know what to expect. (OK, I was worried about it having too many Sting EEE-YOOO-AAAH moments, which is why I didn’t get Vol 2…)

p.s. to heck with the EBay flippers: records are meant to be heard, not hurriedly resold! ($100+ for this LP there)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    jimhb and Xander2017 like this.
  9. theholygoof

theholygoof Forum Resident

Me’shell Ndegeocello’s Peace Beyond Passion sounds amazing. Quiet is can be across all four sides, great depth and balance. Loved every note. Gorgeous blue/silver marbled wax, it’s like spinning art!

jusbe, Ronnieb, d.r.cook and 3 others like this.
  10. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

How's his voice?

I saw them that year here in the states, and you could tell he didn't have the same voice he once had, but he compensated for it really well. As opposed to when I saw them again about ten years later, and his voice was barely a raspy croak.

11. PB Point

PB Point Forum Resident

Others are going to have to comment.

I’ve never heard the 2020 pressing or know/knew about it. Mine is flat and the sound is exquisite. If your 2020 pressings sound is excellent…No need to pick this one up.

This new version is a double gate, with three inserts. A small single folded poster of the concert in white and blue, a “program” of the concert that was handed out, and a 10 page booklet with photo’s and liner notes.

thecomposer10 likes this.
  12. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

I have the black vinyl that Get On Down did a few years back and it's fine but a friend reported the same issue with today's purchase. Maybe bad colored vinyl? Seems like it might be the same metal.

uzn007 likes this.
  13. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Did you expect to fawn over it?

black sheriff and CBackley like this.
  14. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Doe!

15. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

All of those songs appear somewhere on the In the Beginning box set. Are they different versions on that comp or just superfluous?

16. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

It's listed as an RSD first. My speculation is that it will be a regular catalog item but black vinyl. No need to pay the scalpers I suspect.

violetvinyl likes this.
  17. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

Just played mine and I'm getting the same. Gonna give it a good cleaning and see if that fixes it.

18. bjlefebvre

Good news: A wet vac cleaning got rid of the loud pops on Toots. Sounds good.

19. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

I think I chose well - there’s no better review or explanation other than this: The Police Live! — The Police

20. oddsbodkins

oddsbodkins Forum Resident

Shut the buck up already!

Vox78, CBackley and ghoulsurgery like this.
  21. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

You didn't realize that it was part of the CD catalog for years? I bought it back in the day and knew I liked it, I suspect I'll pick it up at some point.

22. Criswell

Criswell Of course I've had it in the ear before

It's pretty good. You're not going to mistake it for the young Ian, but it's far better than some recent live recordings I've heard. (I saw them a few years ago and he sounded fine. I think it's a night-to-night basis for him these day.)

23. davidanthony

davidanthony Well-Known Member

Built in 1918 and still in use today, you can see some pictures here: PAUSD Theatre Facilities - Haymarket Theater

I've been in there many times (I graduated from Palo Alto High in the 00s.) but can't say I found the acoustics particularly remarkable. A testament to the performers and the engineer that this recording came out so well.

No Jerry or Bob to my knowledge, but Bill Kreutzmann and Pigpen attended Palo Alto High (and Joan Baez too!)

Tooth likes this.
  24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Good, not great like the 80s. But not terrible like now. Shame he smoked so much.

This gig was previously released on cd/DVD so you can probably check it out on you tube or spotify if curious. It helps if you like the then-new material from Flowers album.

25. Kenny Lagers

Kenny Lagers good ears beat good gear

JeffMo, rhino4evr and dadonred like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.