RSD 2021 6/12 (pressing/overall quality review) *first drop*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Jun 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

I definitely did, but reports on Discogs seem to indicate that it's not an isolated incident.

mrjinks and jumpinjulian like this.
  2. RC1

RC1 Forum Resident

My Petty was fine, a few slight pops in between tracks, but nothing distracting during the tracks, flat and sounded great

violetvinyl likes this.
  3. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Or a painted mirror to snort lines off of. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Erik B., Solly Bridgetower and Mazzy like this.
  4. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Me too. I paid $75AU for it and there’s terrible static/fuzzy/crackle noise throughout the first track. Hoping it will come batter with a clean and a few more plays. The rest of the LP sounds fine. Considering the price I paid I expected a lot better. And I can’t really justify buying the black one now.

5. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

Well, fortunately I've got a $23 copy on standard black vinyl arriving in about two weeks. Hopefully that copy is quieter. The RSD copy is borderline unlistenable.

jumpinjulian likes this.
  6. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

The track listing seems the same between the CD and RSD....any reason to get the vinyl?
    I love the "frantic and energetic" sound of the Boston show...the guitar and overall sound brings me back to that era which I love. Of course I love Stewarts drumming. It is so much more interesting than some live shows that are too close to the studio versions.

I'm just not sure I need it on vinyl (especially since I didn't see it today and spent too much as it is :) ....I listened to the entire show tonight on Qobuz. It really took be back to my college days in Mass.

JeffMo and AnalogJ like this.
  7. BiggaWhat

BiggaWhat Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on the Al Green, either pressing wise or music wise? I picked it up online on a whim but feel the orchestral thing might not work haha

8. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

Thanks for taking one for the team with this one. I wanted this album badly but then saw it was a picture disk and that gave me pause. Tangerine Dream is the last band on earth to put on a picture disk because their music requires a low noise floor. Don’t think that I will be picking this up.

uzn007 likes this.
  9. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

It’s a rough and ready blues recording. Take it for what it is. My copy is quiet and on pink vinyl. I found it quite enjoyable.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    Greenalishi and Kevin j like this.
  10. kyodo_dom

kyodo_dom Forum Resident

Sorry to hear that. (These Steely Dan releases were the only things on my "must-buy" list this time, and I was pleased to get them for good prices here in Tokyo.) My Two Against Nature is absolutely flawless, sounds amazing. Tiniest bit of what sounded like non-fill in two places during "The Last Mall" (Side 1, Track 1) on Everything Must Go, which was a concern initially, but rest of the LP matched up to Two Against Nature, so can live with that.

boboquisp, Echoes Myron and mr.dave like this.
  11. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

hahahaha - as it’s Steely Dan it could have been done on purpose, though, LOL.

Anyway: digital sourced or not, it sounds fantastic to my ears, with great, clear but punchy bottom end.

I expected nothing less, though..

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    Karmageddon, boboquisp and kyodo_dom like this.
  12. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Im on the fence with getting this. It may already be too late. I do like early Elton John.

13. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

Hm.... sounds both: interesting and a bit concerning. Will spin it today and try to get a replacement if it's too bad. Was a bit on the fence with it in the first place, but really like the album (and the band). Thx for your review!

THX for your comment. I was reluctant to spend 25 bucks on it and was counting on picking it up for much less on eBay or some sale later.
    My go-to store has still plenty of copies. I might stick to the original plan, but will keep it on the list, now...

Neonbeam likes this.
  14. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident

That’s a bummer. My copy was flat and quiet. How it gets better as you give it a few plays.

jumpinjulian likes this.
  15. RS2099

RS2099 Forum Resident

Any feedback on Chet Baker's "Cool Cat"?

16. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Both Steely Dan are flawless and play perfectly. Very satisfied with both.

17. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

I've had these both on repeat play since yesterday morning and they sound phenomenal. EMG, in particular, is incredibly well done.

Tom Favata and Echoes Myron like this.
  18. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident

Listened to three last night:

Tom Petty
    Stillwater
    The Police 83’ Disc 2

All three sounded great, and all were nice and flat.

The Frampton cuts on the Stillwater album are exceptional.

The label on the Police album was deceptive though - this was mentioned earlier. The picture is Side 3, and the words are side 4. No big deal - just another quirk to remember!

JohnBeas likes this.
  19. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Please report back! :goodie:

20. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

Listening to the Donny Hathaway - Live now. I have a UK original that like many of your originals was noisy as hell, I expected the worst after comments here, but it actually sounds fine, not a sonic marvel by any stretch, but not offensive. I still feel like it was a missed opportunity to get Bernie on the case with the tapes, because this could come out phenomenal in the right hands!

Lanark, oldjollymon and Batman21 like this.
  21. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I believe two shows from Chilli:

misteranderson likes this.
  22. JerryTurcotte

JerryTurcotte Forum Resident

I just listened the first disc of Salah Ragab & the Cairo Jazz Band - Egypt Strut

I would really like to talk about about the pressing, but the music totally got me and I did not focus on the pressing quality at all (seemed quiet, no pops or non fill). But what a musical treat!

There's way more then Sun Ra's influences. The role of oriental music influences is major. This, my only egyptian-jazz record, is up there with Irakere, Erkin Koray, Fela Kuti and Mustapha Ozkent in that part of my collection.

23. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Cleaned it 3 times with a Spin Clean and played the first two tracks through another 3 times each and unfortunately it’s not any better. It must be a pressing defect. Ugh.
    Glad to hear it doesn’t seem to be too common and most people’s are okay.

24. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

Listening to Quiet Kenny now, even from the opening notes from Dorham and with Art Taylor's mesmerising cymbal work. I know this is going to be phenomenal form start to finish.

Spazros, Ronnieb, bjlefebvre and 4 others like this.
  25. Hush

Hush "Fate, up against your will"

There's a rather large error on the Elastica 7" box set. Two of the 5 singles have the incorrect labelling. The Connection and Line Up singles have the labels mixed up. One of my friends got the box yesterday as well and has the same mistake. A quick look online and it seems we're not the only ones. I'd be happy to bet that all 1,000 copies have tbis mistake :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.