Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Cool album cover! How are the tunes? We need some conversation. :)

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  2. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I love the tone and emotional range that the clarinet can provide in old school or modern jazz and as such I keep coming across John Carter references in my reading .. I have been streaming his music with mixed results when I came across this one which is so stunning it makes me think I haven’t been paying close enough attention ...
    [​IMG]
    here is the band of which I only really know (and love) Richard Davis and Andrew Cyrille
    [​IMG]
    Its about the origins of the slave trade , so heavy indeed , but the music is not macabre or leaden , or unrelentingly painful as one might expect.
    Rather , while having sometimes deeply fractured traumatic moments, it also has dignity, anger, confusion, false hope, exhaustion... in short a complex mix that requires a lot more listens then I have done.

I managed to score a relatively inexpensive copy recently but the vinyl is meh sounding so maybe get the less expensive cd if you must have a physical copy .

i dont know Bradford but at times he channels old school swing era sounds like Ruby Braff but also he brings a very modern (think Wadada Leo Smith ) sensibility to his cornet which seemed to give a powerful humbling sweeping breadth of history to the theme

All this and I think I have barely scratched the surface. Essential listening

3. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

How does this differ than the regular release?

4. Sean

Sean Senior Member

idk...this is my only copy. :cry:

5. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

No problem.

Sean likes this.
  6. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Great album. Part of Carter's five-album "Roots and Folklore: Episodes in the Development of American Folk Music," series. I think of the five only Dauwhe and this one are currently readily available, at least via streaming.

Carter and Bradford, btw, were longtime musical partners -- a Texan, like Carter and musical compatriot of Ornette Coleman's from back home (they finally did record together on Science Fiction. Carter too was I think a classmate's of Ornette's back home). The albums Carter & Bradford did together in the late '60s and early '70s are sort of minor classics (also on Bradford, check out David Murray's Death of a Sideman, which is actually a suite of bittersweet pieces about, well, a sideman, all composed by Bradford).

For an interest look at Carter as a sideman, his playing on Horace Tapscott's two volume live album The Dark Tree is outstanding (actually everything about that record is outstanding).

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  7. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Thanks C, i picked up Dark Tree a year ago and love it , but my aging brain failed to make the Carter connection. I will check out those other connections...

8. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

FWIW, if you're streaming and you want to check it out, I think some of the late '60s early '70s Carter-Bradford albums are streaming -- Seeking, Flight for Four, Self Determination Music. Death of A Sideman, despite my moaning this morning about the relative accessibility of DIW titles from the era, that seems to be streaming, just looked on Qobuz. That's a beautiful album.

9. The Carrot Guy

The Carrot Guy Forum Resident

Working my way through some Joshua Redman albums this morning, all first listens.

Joshua Redman Elastic Band - Momentum

This one's pretty varied, plenty of funk and fusion and an interesting version of Lonely Woman. Pleasant enough but not really my bag.

Joshua Redman - Compass

Sax trio - much more up my alley and really enjoying this one.

Just about to put on Walking Shadows.

10. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

DIW titles??
    Yeah spotify ( my service) has most of the Carter - Bradford stuff. Some of which I have already heard and did not immediately connect with but after Castles , I am reassessing and revisiting. This is common for me. Sometimes something just clicks with me and it opens the door and I go back and take another look. Jazz appreciation is really not linear at all for me , but I am used to that now after the decades...

11. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Death of a Sideman is a Murray date for DIW, but it's as much a Bradford record -- it's Bradford's compositions.

12. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I was not sure what DIW stood for but i gather now it's the label ( Japanese) .,

13. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

14. Ant G

Ant G Senior Member

NP:

Mccoy Tyner - Fly with the Wind

[​IMG]

15. Ant G

Ant G Senior Member

This is a first listen for me but fits the mood of the night!
    First time out at an (outdoor) concert earlier tonight.. since 2019.... consider today a win.

NP:

McCoy Tyner - Nights of Ballads and Blues

[​IMG]

16. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

That Impulse 60th anniversary 2 CD comp .
    Yusef Lateef 's Sister Mamie always gets me , what a performance and song

Starwanderer likes this.
  17. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

18. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

@JeffMo - The tunes are very fine - but yesterday i was surprised how good this record is, listen to it since months....

JeffMo likes this.
  19. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I just assumed you played it twice in a row!!

20. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

Part of a series of 4 which I found easily in the '80s/early '90s after they were deleted (which was probably where I first saw them).
    After getting the Carter/Bradford Flying Dutchman and Revelation titles in the early '70s, I wanted to hear more; I have most of these below; as you may or may not know, the Revelation titles are on the Mosaic.
    John Carter (3)
    The 'clarinet summit' recordings are great too:
    [​IMG]
    Bluiett also had a clarinet ensemble:
    [​IMG]
    Hamiet Bluiett - The Clarinet Family

21. ILovethebassclarinet

Death of a Sideman is a new one on me, will have to look it up; thanks Chervokas!

22. ILovethebassclarinet

Funny; I've always looked at it as kind of like being the center object from which MANY lines emanated, in all kinds of directions, with lots of tangents, overlays, isolated wires, snarls, broken wires... almost kind of like a spider web in some ways... spider webs, of course, have many lines inside them...

23. almost unison

almost unison Forum Resident

Carter's great other 'Roots and Folklore' records, his work with Tapscott, and his clarinet summit have already been mentioned - and I can only affirm their the greatness of these recordings.

The Carter discussion inspired me to give James Newton's Water Mystery (Gramavision, 1986) another play. On this set, Carter's clarinet is part of richly textured woodwinds sound that combines Newton's flute, Greg Martin's oboe, John Nunez' bassoon and Charles Owens soprano sax. The ensemble is completed with April Aoki's harp, Anthony Brown's percussion, Red Callender's tuba, Allan Iwohara's koto and Roberto Miranda's bass. The presence of a koto - as well as the album art - betrays the Asian influences on this set that some would probably categorize as 'third stream.'

I think the unusual lineup and Newton's skills make for an interesting recording. It is also a chance to hear Carter in a somewhat different setting. In addition, if you like to occasionally hear woodwinds other than saxophones, this one might be of some interest as well.

[​IMG]

peter1, jay.dee, fingerpoppin and 5 others like this.
  24. ILovethebassclarinet

Newton's Blue Note of Ellington and Strayhorn compositions from the 1980s, African Flower got a lot of play from me for several years back then:
    [​IMG]

25. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Unfortunately it Seems like that one is impossible to hear. Not streaming anywhere except one song ( star crossed lovers) on youtube .. but its a pretty cool sound. Is the rest of the lp like this one track?

almost unison likes this.