RSD 2021 6/12 (pressing/overall quality review) *first drop*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Jun 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anonsequitur

anonsequitur Forum Resident

Noted. Thank you for the reply.

I was referring to the misinformation contained in the Toronto Sun and Q Magazine reviews that the Police concerts (not vinyl) were “complete”.

The link to those reviews are on a post from page 6 of this thread. Here’s the link to the reviews again:
    The Police Live! — The Police

2. adhoc

adhoc Gentlemen Prefer Stereo

Wolf Alice's "Blue Weekend" sounds a little compressed, which I suppose does match the music genre to some degree. The sound is overall warm, with a nice wide/deep soundstage, but there is definitely a "wall of sound" vibe here. Not sure if this was a conscious artistic choice.

Joe Nino-Hernes in the deadwax (so I presume he cut the lacquer), but mastering credits are given to someone else at Sterling Sound.

MonkeyTennis, Nike and greeny400 like this.
  3. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

I've only listened to the first three records at this point but the set's been flawless so far. Sounds great, as expected.

Barnyard Symphony and jslcaballo like this.
  4. oddsbodkins

oddsbodkins Forum Resident

I fired through the whole shebang yesterday and it was a fantastic experience. Was a little hesitant when I saw the list price but it's Europe '72 and it delivers.

Barnyard Symphony and jslcaballo like this.
  5. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

Picked up 5 records in Spindizzy in Dublin yesterday. The 2 Steely dan titles, Wire PF456 DeLuxe, Ultravox Vienna and Future Sound of London.

All were on Black vinyl save for the Ultravox. I hate coloured vinyl. It rarely if ever plays quiet without lots of pops etc. and as for picture discs, they are a no go.

Everything must go which I don't already have was superb. Completely silent both sides, brilliant sound although most likely digital. It cost € 23.99, I wish AS, MoFi and others could produce their premium products, like the one steps of which I have all done to date, to this standard. 5 times the price for one steps with taxes and shipping on top and it really gets me mad. They really have a nerve. I have listened to the third side of Two against Nature and again perfect pressing, no dishing or warping and no noise. Likewise the first sides of the first discs in the Wire package and Future Sound of London.

6. Grateful Dead. Six records for $129 seems fair to me. It’s good.

7. oddsbodkins

It's absolutely a fair price but my heart always skips a beat anything north of $100 for no good reason. I also don't buy box sets often so that surely factors in! In any event, if you can get it around that price point and avoid the Rough Trade/Newbury Comics markups, it's a no-brainer.

8. Sure but that’s pretty much a regular thing Dead box sets. Entire concerts.

9. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

so far:

bobo jenkins. quiet, flat pressing. great stuff!
    black francis. also quiet and flat.
    jonathan richman. this one is nice and flat but a bit noisy in the quiet parts. probably just needs a cleaning.

10. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Bought both Dan releases as I've never had them in any form. Only song I am familiar with from these records is Cousin Dupree (which I've always liked). Spun Two Against Nature last night and was knocked out by the pressing and sonic quality. Definitely sounds audiophile to my ears, just like a Steely Dan record is expected to sound. Rich and warm with a nice wide soundstage. Cliché Alert!! This sounds tubey.

Was also surprised by how much I like the album itself. Definitely glad I picked it up. Looking forward to spinning Anything Must Go. Took awhile, but my Steely Dan catalogue is now complete.

11. oddsbodkins

I'm fairly new to the Dead box set game as Buffalo was the first one I bought at a RSD. Still kick myself for not getting the Cornell set but all these recordings are easy to find. That was the main reason I've avoided until recently. Now that I have a few, I see the value in the presentation and quality and I'm in it for the long haul moving forward!

Erik B., ODShowtime and scribbs like this.
  12. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

They're having more CD manufacturing issues lately since increasing the number of pressings per release.

13. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Everything Must Go sounds excellent as well. It’s a Chris Bellman mastering. Unfortunately, the pressing is a bit noisy. Mostly pretty minor so I’m hoping with further plays and perhaps another run through the Audio Desk it quiets down a bit.

14. Cambot

Cambot Forum Resident

Exact same problems on disc 1. Side A was noisy and side B slightly less so. It was warped but my clamp fixed it. Disc 2 seems a-okay.

rhino4evr likes this.
  15. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

This classic show is also available (with an equally-good show from 1976) on this inexpensive CD boxset: Tangerine Dream – The Official Bootleg Series Volume One (2015, Box Set) .

Given that this show taken from an audience tape, I would expect the CD to sound about as good as it gets. Fewer breaks, too.

I've picked up almost every TD RSD release over the last few years, even the late-80s material that doesn't interest me that much, but the combination of audience tape and picture disc made me take a hard pass on this one.

LivingForever likes this.
  16. Kumocat

Kumocat Jazz Cat

The first time on vinyl reissue for the Chippin’ In by Art Blakey and his Jazz Messengers record released on the Dutch label Timeless is a great surprise. It’s recorded at the Van Gelder studios at the beginnning of the 90’s.

The Sound quality for this record is very good with a wide soundstage. The instruments sound clear and the two records themselves are flat without any defects. But the packaging itself could be better, I would have liked when they would have chosen for a gatefold solution and not two records into one sleeve.

Also why are they still using non poly lined paper inner sleeves? I had to shred the inner sleeves open carefully to safely remove the records before putting them in poly lined ones.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    mr.dave likes this.
  17. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Yeah, I saw two of the GD sets at the Newbury Comics I went to yesterday (Nyack, NY). I think that's around what they were asking. $135, maybe?

Dead fans are *so* spoiled. Almost makes me wish I was one...

18. Kenny Lagers

Kenny Lagers good ears beat good gear

As others have noted, Quiet Kenny is superb. I hope Craft keeps putting out records like this, and I hope (unrealistic, I know) that Blue Note sees what Craft is doing with the tip-on jackets etc. and adopts the same approach for the Classics series.

19. davidkeith

davidkeith Senior Member

The two Steely Dans were mostly good. Came in nice poly sleeeves, but there was a bit of paper dust on them. Cleaned off, and I may run them through the RCM before playing a second time. "Everything Must Go" had one skip on the first song on side 2. There was a bit of paper dust stuck in that spot, but it came off easily.

Now, the guilty pleasure impulse buy: Kenny Loggins "At The Movies...." Pressed by MPO and fairly quiet and flat. Side 2 is slightly off center, which is only noticeable on the fade of one of the songs with some sustained notes. And, there's a small nick between track one and two on side two, so about 3 or 4 pops between songs. Since side 2 was off center I thought it was pressed at Memphis, but the MPO logo is in the dead-wax, ending my good luck streak with MPO pressings.

20. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Wake up... and smell the Sunflower

Quiet Kenny is my third release from this ‘series’ from Craft. The Country Blues Of John Lee Hooker and Abbey Is Blue are the others, and they’re great value and quality indeed.

Footsurg, Briskit and Kenny Lagers like this.
  21. Nike

Nike Duke

In my store no Kenny! Have Police and i want to buy. But 2lp+ 2lp 120€. No way

22. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I see this title is getting a widespread release soon. Can you share what this album is or how it differs from She’s The One?

23. jewelsnbinoculars

jewelsnbinoculars Forum Resident

The Dead set sounds fantastic. No pressing issues on my end. Clean, quiet, flat. I’ll also add that the track to side ratio on this is probably the best and least awkward of any full show available as a vinyl set. There are essentially no awkward cut offs or flips - it all makes sense, and just about every side has the full amount of music.

ODShowtime, jgrillo, uzn007 and 4 others like this.
  24. jewelsnbinoculars

jewelsnbinoculars Forum Resident

Was Quiet Kenny rsd exclusive or will it have a wider release?

Jam757 likes this.
  25. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

The incredibly lame flippers auctions have already started with prices exploding over $100. This should get a widespread release obviously. Is there any confirmation that it won’t?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.