RSD 2021 6/12 (pressing/overall quality review) *first drop*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Jun 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Bunnymen and Fixx. I was planning on playing them, but the sun decided to show itself.

uzn007 likes this.
  2. Kenny Lagers

Kenny Lagers good ears beat good gear

3. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Wake up... and smell the Sunflower

Definitely. I seriously looked into exactly those aspects beforehand, and then decided that I wanted this as my first vinyl GD boxset. I do own a ton of GD live material on CD.

ODShowtime likes this.
  4. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

As I mentioned, 3 out of the 6 Grateful Dead records were either dished or had an edge warp. Hopefully they don't effect play. At least China Cat Sunflower is song 3!

Erik B. likes this.
  5. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

It looks like they took the best approach with the sides except for the 12th. Lame.

6. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

7. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

Washboard abs.

8. adhoc

adhoc Gentlemen Prefer Stereo

Any more opinions on the Dirty Three 4LP set?

9. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Cool, thanks, I also read the description on the Petty site and seems like a necessary purchase. Actually what I really want is a AAA version of She’s The One but we’re never gonna see that.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  10. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

11. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Listening today.

The Grateful Dead is great but had to turn up the volume a little. Not their best in terms of sound quality but pretty darn good and a smoking show. Like it a lot.

Both the Elton and Petty surprised me both in pressing quality and the contents. Bought the Elton on impulse but really like some of the songs and I always get anything Petty and this one has great sound , great pressing, sounds amazing cranked up loud. Highly recommend both.

Jam757 likes this.
  12. Michael Leek

Michael Leek Forum Resident

Just hope it doesn’t rain dear…

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  13. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Wake up... and smell the Sunflower

They took the best approach with the sides, resulting in one side without music. I quite like the etching.

jewelsnbinoculars likes this.
  14. dloew

dloew Forum Resident

My "Flaming Lips ‎- The Soft Bulletin Companion" has some serious right-channel noise throughout the entirety of first 2 tracks, as others have observed. Rest of the album isn't as bad, but certainly some noisy parts here and there. Besides the noisy tracks, overall the album sounds great, cut by CB.

Kenny Lagers and rhino4evr like this.
  15. Lecords

Lecords Forum Resident

The Joni Mitchell Archives Highlights disc, mastered by Bernie Grundman, is beautifully pressed and presented—EXCEPT that during "Pastures of Plenty," there's what sounds like a digital glitch (rapid clicking noise throughout the track, like a bad CD rip). The CD and streaming versions also had this problem.

If this is on the source tape (unlikely), it's shocking that they elected to include this compromised track on a highlights disc. And if it's not on the source, that's even worse.

Fractured and grx8 like this.
  16. Lanark

Lanark The French for deja-vu

Nope, they are ALWAYS terrible, always, try to name me one good sounding picture disc, you can't because they are all terrible, granted some are gut wrenchingly unbelievably terrible which others are only 'slightly' terrible, but they are all terrible.

17. rhino4evr

rhino4evr Forum Resident

yeah that was my exact experience. Overall glad I have it, but out of the 8 records I bought yesterday it’s the only one that was less than exceptional sounding. Kinda sucks because my original Soft Bulletin record is one of the best sounding records I own.

the Kenny Dorham wins this year for shear performance alone, followed closely by the Chicago Blues set.

jgrillo, dloew and Kenny Lagers like this.
  18. Lanark

Lanark The French for deja-vu

It sounds like tape damage to me, I could imagine Joni selecting a track she likes best even if its a technically imperfect recording.

Lecords and parkgrover like this.
  19. Jack

Jack Senior Member

The RSD Kinks lp for Percy is astoundingly good.

20. bdfin

bdfin Forum Resident

I never thought the original had great sound to begin with. Wasn't horrible but certainly not great either.
    I have two copies of the original and I've never thought it sounded that great. It IS a great album, but the original recordings weren't that fantastic to begin with.

Lanark and Batman21 like this.
  21. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

The award for biggest RSD quality blunder has to go to the Motley Crue cassette box set.

Using a magnet as a latch for the box was a bad idea.

McLover, Engineer X, Erik B. and 4 others like this.
  22. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

Ya im with ya. And the quality changes from song to song as well. Great album for sure. This reissue is totally fine considering how many vintage copies are trashed, but as myself and a few others have mentioned, just a missed opportunity for an attempt at some TLC, thats all. I wouldnt discourage anyone from picking up the rsd at a reasonable price.

23. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

I would say it is. I really like it and I don't have a problem with the fact that it isn't exactly "She's the One". I have that on CD and hires files so I'm okay with it.
    The RSD LP looks beautiful and sounds beautiful while being a rather different experience altogether.

24. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

So far I’ve been really impressed with the quality of the releases I’ve played (hopefully I won’t jinx it).

Warren Zevon - Preludes: perfect pressing.

Prince - The Truth: an acoustic album and again perfect (meaning flat and quiet)

Tom Tom Club - not a silent soundfloor but it’s a dance/funk album so you only hear this between tracks

Toyah - Mesmerised: perfect

Toyah - Four From Toyah 40th anniversary: some noise between a couple tracks but nothing on the music itself, so I’d say that’s pretty perfect:

Left to listen to:
    Maria McKee - High Dive
    Steely Dan - both albums
    Tom Petty
    Madness
    Joey Ramone
    Flaming Lips
    Belly

sennj likes this.
  25. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'd certainly prefer the antler-native.