Black Sabbath - Sabotage - 5 LPs!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cranny, Apr 9, 2021.

1. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I have 4 CD issues of Sabotage now. Couldn’t bring myself to buy another, especially since it won’t best what I own. I considered the vinyl box, but again lots of money for pretty packaging. If this was remixed by SW, I probably would have taken the plunge.

Curveboy likes this.
  2. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I hope down the line the live show gets a stand alone release on record.

3. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Seems that way. But even so, they could've easily grabbed the widely available lossless bootleg. Pulling a lossy bootleg was going the extra sloppy mile.

Purple, Deuce66, ODShowtime and 5 others like this.
  4. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I hope they never have the nerve to issue this show again until they get serious and license the use of the master tape for a modern transfer to do this right.

5. OzzyIsDio

OzzyIsDio Maniacal Sabbath Fanatic

I have a question to find out when the next Super Deluxe comes out, how will you know which will be next so I can search it on here?

would someone one here mind notifying me, because when I search Black Sabbath old threads come up and I have to look through all of them.

I would appreciate it.

6. Thank you, now I understand. So the fake "single" version of HitS on disc 4 sounds different from disc 1. Interesting find.

So they took extra time to make disc 4 sound different from disc 1, yet used a lossy-sourced bootleg as the source for disc 2+3 when lossless copies would have been readily available. I'll never understand those kinds of decisions.

supernaut, Purple, GRompre68 and 3 others like this.
  7. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

SBS, please!!

8. OzzyIsDio

It’s not like I can sign up for Black Sabbath alerts for new started threads.

So if someone here gets news that Sabbath is releasing a new Super Deluxe album, can someone PM me?

9. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

FYI--there is a youtube channel called 'Sea of Tranquility". It is run by a guy who is a huge Sabbath (and metal, prog, classic rock) fan. He reviews and talks about upcoming releases. I get a lot of updates from his channel.

Greenalishi, ceddy10165 and OzzyIsDio like this.
  10. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I think it was just a silly excuse to make this a 4 disc set that looks equal to the Vol. 4 and Paranoid Super Deluxe. Heck, even Vol. 4 could have fit on 3 discs.

supernaut likes this.
  11. Yep.

I found the Paranoid SDE already disappointing in several respects, but in hindsight it looks fantastic compared to this Sabotage SDE sh**. Yes, Paranoid had a stereo fold down rather than a multichannel representation of the Quad mix, no video for the Brussels 1970 show, and the Brussels audio was no significant (if any) improvement over the best bootlegs from that show - but hey, at least the entire set was lossless-sourced, and every disc ran significantly longer than 10 minutes. And Vol. 4 SDE included the very nice-sounding outtakes/alt. takes. The Sabotage SDE contains exactly zero material of any interest to me.

mmars982, supernaut, Purple and 3 others like this.
  12. OzzyIsDio

I'm subscribed already, Pete Pardo.

ceddy10165 and Andersoncouncil like this.
  13. Andersoncouncil

I'm a subscriber too. Love the channel. Waiting for his review of the new Sabotage box set.

OzzyIsDio likes this.
  14. Andersoncouncil

Agreed. All they had to do was add some alternates like the Vol. 4SDE, or even a remix of Sabotage. Makes me worry about what they will have for the other (if they happen) Deluxe editions. I don't think there is much they can do with Master of Reality or Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. However, the debut could easily have a disc with Song for Jim, The Rebel, and those other early tracks. Plus, the basement rehearsals, alternate single mixes...

OzzyIsDio likes this.
  15. IIRC, a fellow member said that The Rebel was originally planned to be included in the s/t 2009 Sanctuary Deluxe bonus material but rejected by the band or Tony Iommi.

I think there is a lot they could do with MOR, SBS or the debut - if they wanted to. There are definitely at least a few unreleased live shows or radio sessions they could release. But apparently band members don't want to, and Rhino just wants to do whatever is as quick and cheap as possible.

16. GRompre68

GRompre68 Vive le Prog Quebecois

I think you hit the spot right on: they are going too fast!! What is it, like one box every 4 months or so, at this point? I am not sure why, but I think their schedule is way too fast, and it feels rushed! Vol.4 had some work done on it (i.e. the extra outtakes), Sabotage feels like it was done to meet a certain deadline (?); they really missed a great opportunity here.

17. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

If that’s the case, not only is it lazy and unforgivable, it is a terrible approach to commerce and customer satisfaction. The fans do a far better job in cases like this, why not hire one of them that really cares?

18. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I couldn't pass up that deal with ImportCDs on Friday before all this came to light. Now I feel like a sucker for falling for this cheap cash grab. If the sound is as bad as reported, I'll be complaining, for all the good that will do. It really puts a bad taste in my mouth about Rhino/Sabbath releases.

slipkid and GRompre68 like this.
  19. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I guess the question is; has anyone contacted Rhino to see what the story is?

wrat, obi and slipkid like this.
  20. One of their A&R guys is a member here, perhaps he could be approached.

obi, rnranimal, slipkid and 1 other person like this.
  21. I frankly don't care what the "story" is. Even if they can give some great (e.g. legal) excuse for why they had to use a lossy source rather than the lossless ones that are available everywhere, that would still not justify keeping it a secret and selling the set at a price that's simply not an option for mostly lossy-sourced material. People who buy a CD expect (and pay for) CD-quality audio.

Return the set and explain to them why, that's the only language they might (possibly) understand.

supernaut, wrat, Purple and 6 others like this.
  22. Andersoncouncil

I hope you are right about MOR or SBS. I was really disappointed in that deluxe 2 CD MOR that came out a few years ago. The instrumental versions made me think the well was dry beyond what made the album. You may be on to something that Tony has the final word, and he may just not want what are (to him) subpar material. But it still baffles me. If Tony does have the final word, how did he let the poorly sequenced, worse than a bootleg 'Past Lives" get released?

obi likes this.
  23. OzzyIsDio

Just bought this as well, in celebration of the Super Deluxe Sabotage Release
    1. [​IMG]

24. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

If you have Facebook both Tony and Geezer announce these sets. The Sabbath page probably does too.

25. I am afraid Tony Iommi's understanding of what is valuable material and what it should sound like differs enormously from mine, so frankly, I have no idea. And I wasn't saying that Rhino are actually going to release great SDE bonus material for MOR or SBS - I would actually be surprised if they do. My point was that if they don't do that, it is probably not due to a lack of material but due to unwillingness, incompetence and/or and laziness,

Stormrider77, wrat, Purple and 2 others like this.