RSD 2021 6/12 (pressing/overall quality review) *first drop*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Jun 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

black sheriff, marcb, 3Dman and 4 others like this.
  2. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

Yeah, clearly there's been some improvement in the technology for creating picture disks, because the record sounds fantastic.

I was a bit worried when I heard the first track - God's Children - because it's quite muddy. Fortunately, the rest of the LP sounds wonderful.

Must have been something about the recording of that track that Kevin Gray couldn't fully fix.

Too bad - it's one of my favorite Kinks songs.

3. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

4. Prince sounds fantastic too. Better than the CD

ultron9, uzn007, JeffMo and 5 others like this.
  5. I bought this Kinks pic disc by mistake. Love Percy but in my haste didn’t realize it was a picture disc. I though they always came in packages where you could see through to the friggen disc. I need to read closer

Wordnat2, jazdoc, sennj and 7 others like this.
  6. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

This isn’t any different than the box set version right? Also, I see no confirmation in the description it was AAA (with no digital step). I own the box set version and do like it a lot just wish it was 2lp.

7. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

The Al Green sounds wonderful
    The strings fill it out nicely, less is more, lush
    Dynamic, dead silence except maybe just a little noise on the quietest intro

I really love it

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  8. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

McLover likes this.
  9. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

Yes, it's the box set mastering.

With a little research, I have discovered that this edition of She's the One is NOT AAA -- it's mastered from hi-res digital. Apologies.

Here is the breakdown of the box set masters, from Michael Fremer's website:

According to mastering engineer Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering, all of the albums in both box sets were mastered from the analog master tapes with the following exceptions:

Mojo and Hypnotic Eye were mastered from the original high resolution 24 bit 48K digital masters (these were originally recorded digitally and sound so IMO).

She's The One and Greatest Hits were mastered from high resolution (24 bit 96K) digital copies of the original analog masters.

And here's some really good news: While the original releases of Wildflowers, Echo and Last DJ were mastered for vinyl from digital sources, for the 2016 box set release, they assembled the original analog masters for the first time, and mastered vinyl from that. According to Bellman, "the sound quality is especially better on these albums."

grx8, davenav, elgoodo and 1 other person like this.
  10. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Cool, thank you for posting. I do now remember reading the Fremer description now. I’m going to listen to it again today and have pre-ordered Angel Dream too!

11. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

Aye, aye! First, the pressing quality: it is OK. I was afraid in the beginning, as side 1 started with some ground noise and some clicks and pops (nothing too bad, though), but after maybe around 30-50sec, it was alright. There was something strange sound effect I can't really put my fingers on. Like the left channel was a bit faulty, but that occurred only first half of side one. Sides 2+3 are just fine, but side 4, yea.... a bit disappointing, although I had worse for sure. Noisy, ticks, pops, clicks (however you name it throughout). Anyway, I can live with it, and the risk of exchanging it seems too big.

Sound: very interesting mix, I must say! I wasn't too sure about it in the beginning, as it was really bass-heavy and rather boomy sounding (and I like bass). However, I recently got my bass section of the speakers activated and can control the bass volume, which is actually a good feature.

So I turned the bass a bit lower, and here we go... I was sucked in. it is somehow a more mystical version as some sound effects seem to be more pronounced. I have to compare it to the original mix next few days. But it's clearly different. And I like it. Actually, now I am happy to have bought it (as I stated, I wasn't too sure in the first place).

So a quick summary of the other titles:

Steely Dan - Two against nature

Just awesome. Plain audiophile. I am in love with that record since it came out. I got the CD and later the DVD-A. The new Vinyl version is clearly my favorite. The bottom end is phenomenal. Pressing itself nearly perfect. Flat and ultra-silent. Outstanding record. I'll buy myself a backup copy tomorrow and am done with it. EXTREMELY HAPPY!!

Steely Dan - Everything must go.

I bought the original twice but also sold it twice again, as offers were tempting and I was fine with the CD (ripped). It's always discussed controversially (witnessing it again yesterday in the store), but I really like the album and the songs. Quiet, flat pressing. It sounds clearly above the average but a bit more "digital" to my ears than 2AN, which I find superior sounding in every regard. Anyway, happy to have it again and can clearly recommend getting it.

Elton John - Sgt. Zippo

It seems that I like early Elton John. Having checked only side 1 so far, it's a nice surprise. A little bit trippy, homeopathical psychedelic and...mono (played on my AT33 Mono system). Flat, silent, good-sounding record.

Salah Ragab - Egypt Strut

My Highlite (if it wouldn't be for 2AN). Everyone who is into Strut, Strata East, African Jazz.....buy it! Great pressing, great musical trip, nice booklet. Listening to it, while typing, and so far it's silent.

Stimulated by Neon , I might pick up the Garbage LP tomorrow as a store around the corner still has it for 35 EUR). Let's see, whether or not I get weak when I'll buy my backup copy of 2AN and follow more recommendations from here.

My usual, general remark: why the he** are coming those premium-priced records without poly inners. But some miracles have to remain...

Cheers, D.

12. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

Ugh. Definitely going to have to check out that Egypt Jazz album now.

mr.dave likes this.
  13. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

14. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

For me the short answer is because I don't play CDs.

bjlefebvre likes this.
  15. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I have always enjoyed this album and It’s Hard, this reissue is really good imo.

16. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Listening to the Donny Hathaway and it sounds ok. Doesn't blow me away but I guess it will fill a spot until I can find an original. Obviously don't have an original to compare but there's something seems a little muffled about it.

Surprised there are so many copies still available, would have thought it would have been a better seller, but I guess without a clear pedigree of what source was used maybe people didn't want to take a chance on it?

Batman21 likes this.
  17. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Same. But I’m glad I did!

It’s amazingly great sounding, with very little noise on side two which I will give a cleaning to, as I’ve had to do on far noisier regular Lps this time.

alx7 and bjlefebvre like this.
  18. Tattooed Headshrinker

Tattooed Headshrinker Accidentally Like A Martyr

I have a very modest setup, but both my Tom Petty and Toots LPs are quiet and sound great right out of their sleeves. Either I’m very lucky (and trust me, I’m not), or new vinyl seems to be very agreeable with my turntable and stylus since I rarely have the problems others seem to have. I’m confident any pops or small imperfections I hear will be rectified with a good cleaning.

Conversely, almost all vintage vinyl I buy is plagued by terrible surface noise no matter what the visual quality of the record is or how many times I wet clean it. *shrug*

19. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Good to know.

Karmageddon likes this.
  20. Tattooed Headshrinker

Tattooed Headshrinker Accidentally Like A Martyr

Almost every Grateful Dead complete show on vinyl has an etching on the final side. While I’ve never noticed a problem with warping on those discs, I’d still rather have few bonus tracks (a’ la the old Dick’s Picks CDs) than an etching.

21. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

[
    just played mine and it’s fantastic. I’m not a huge salsa fan but I will grab any RSD AAA release especially a landmark album in any genre. It got me up dancing and what else is there to say.

QUOTE="geddy402, post: 27096366, member: 69553"]Listening to the Donny Hathaway and it sounds ok. Doesn't blow me away but I guess it will fill a spot until I can find an original. Obviously don't have an original to compare but there's something seems a little muffled about it.[/QUOTE]

I have an original and the original beats it but I’m still glad to have the reissue. It’s not amazing sounding but getting clean originals is nearly impossible. It’s not bad by any means and the gatefold package is really nice.

Did anyone grab the Timeless series with Arthur Verocai and Mulatu Astatke? I had to get those two online and I haven’t heard them yet. I’m dying to know how they sound.

bjlefebvre, Batman21 and sonofjim like this.
  22. bluejimbop

Certainly to my taste. #1 on my RSD list but couldn’t cop. Only 2,000 pressed, IIRC.

mikemoon, ndoheny and sonofjim like this.
  23. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Basically available at cost on Discogs as of this morning.

bluejimbop likes this.
  24. bluejimbop

Bless you.

25. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

Dirty Three: Lovely packaging and colored vinyl, but a little noisy it mostly calms down after the first minute or 2 and it's never completely intrusive but it's noticeable. The sound is really good though and the live set is a real treat. I have no regrets with my purchase but feel bad for those paying inflated prices.

Verlaines: I enjoyed the first 3 sides despite the primitive quality of the recording but side 4 is so dished I can't even track the record, side 3 played without issue (and I usually have no issues even with heat warped records). Will take it back for a replacement tomorrow.

Maria McKee "High Dive": Dead quiet, flat and wonderful sound. This is a real keeper.

got my girlfriend the Senses Fail: Beautiful color that matches the art nicely, moderate noise floor when you drop the needle but it goes away as soon as the music kicks in. Slight improvement over the CD but for this kind of music I wasn't expecting much it at least sounds mastered for vinyl. Not flat and dead like some of the vinyl pressings of 2000s punk/emo bands

my roommate got Col. Bruce Hampton: Wonderful sound, thick fat bass, enjoyable album I was not familiar with. Had a slight warp but played just fine. Included bonus tracks as well and spread out the original single lp into 2 LPs

He also got The Police Vol. 1 set: Decent sound for a live show, spectacular set, nice deviations from the album versions and they stretched out some of their best songs in a very tasteful manner. I wasn't born when this show happened so this will be as close as I can get. Flat and quiet vinyl. Highly recommended!

That was it for me since the Dirty Three was so expensive, but that was my must have

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.