CSNY Deja Vu 50th anniversary reissue - May 14, 2021 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Josip, Mar 15, 2020.

1. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

As i’ve mentioned upthread, i really think it reflects Graham’s lack of engagement. He didn’t shepherd this one in like the other releases. By this point he had just had it with the group, threw his hands up and let the label take the reins.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    csnfan, lambfan68 and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

The thing about Crosby - i mean a lot of folks can play good music, and many can create really great music - Stills is certainly no slouch - but Crosby truly has a muse and a musicality that is rare, beautiful and just special. Tracks with the Byrds - Renaissance Fair, Everybody’s Been Burned, Draft Morning, Dolphin Smile - hinted at the melodic sensibility that would fully blossom when he flew the coop. Yea, he was on fire.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  3. Simon

Simon Forum Resident

I now hope that all CSN albums will get the same treatment.
    Fleetwood Mac appears to be the model (Buckingham / Nicks period). Large format box sets with the album on CD and vinyl, alternative version on CD and possibly live CD and demos/outtakes.
    CSN's 1st album would lend itself to this very well, especially for an alternative version. On the other hand, it seems that all the outtakes of other songs than those used for the album are very limited ("Blackbird", what else?).
    On the other hand, CSN (1977) would be perfect on all fronts.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Are there any coupon codes for Rhino.com? I'm about to go all in on the 5LP set, but man, is that a lot of dough!

5. walkonthewildside

walkonthewildside Forum Resident

I'd love Chris Bellman to get his mitts on the CSN catalogue. What he did with the 'boat album' is just magical. The harmonies somehow sound better...

bonus likes this.
  6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Little Miss Bright Eyes wasn't released at all, until the Carry On box.

Tom Daniels and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

The AF CD is also wonderful.

jhm and walkonthewildside like this.
  8. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

i assume he was referring to Sugar Babe, which was an evolution of Ivory Tower.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

He specifically said Little Miss Bright Eyes. Which is the same basic recording as Ivory Tower.

10. walkonthewildside

walkonthewildside Forum Resident

Bellmans are like Pokemon. gotta get em all!!

superstar19 likes this.
  11. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

But if he meant the same recording, why would he say he finally did it with Manassas?

themarkster and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

He probably doesn't even remember/realize it was the same basic track.

And of course it wasn't with Manassas either way (although Joe Lala apparently played percussion on Little Miss Bright Eyes).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

theres a version of "sugar babe" on the manassas release pieces and it was a big live number for the band too. maybe he just got confused because of the recent pieces release and the live association with manassas

14. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

I was in a band in the summer of ‘75. A friend sent me a copy of a tape that had an original song on it that I had absolutely zero recollection of.

Of course we weren’t multi platinum selling artists. :D

15. 45 RPM Audiophile

45 RPM Audiophile Forum Resident

16. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

“Sometimes you get more papers than you’d have to show at the embassy in North Korea.” :biglaugh:

17. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

With regard to the whole “why did Neil even join them in the first place” discussion- I know the accepted answer is they needed someone to fill out the stage sound live... but when keyboards is mentioned I will say no way, Neils keyboard playing, especially organ, in no way does justice to Stephens playing on the records.
    Evidence? Look and listen to the wembley show in 74- that organ playing on the opening number is atrocious, sounds like a beginner

duneman and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

I think Neil has a good feel on keys, but he’s not exactly Rick Wakeman or Steve Stills for that matter.

ARK likes this.
  19. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

You're killing me Michael.
    A copy of the Classic Records version came my way recently.
    Was astoundingly good, but I figured I should sell it on and buy the Bellman cut and a few other things.
    Now you tell me the Bellman is not as good!
    :wantsome:

20. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

I don't have a CR cut or nearly the level of system Michael has, but I love this 50th-anniversary copy! Beats my later 70's and original copies by a wide margin.

Briskit likes this.
  21. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Don't you think the new one is a tad bass shy?

22. Autotune Sucks

Autotune Sucks Forum Resident

It has suddenly struck me that Nash now looks remarkably like Dr. Anthony Fauci and vice-versa. Weird.

"Wear A Mask Before You Go"..."Test Your Children"...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    mark ab likes this.
  23. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

The original pressing and 77 reissue are softer sounding, rounder, with more midrange bloat. It seems the Grundman cut tried to emulate the warmer, softer sound of the original, from what I've read.

CB's is more analytical, but not too much. It's a "modern" sound with a cleaner midrange, tighter & more fully extended bass. The vocals sound much better in terms of separation and the guitars have a nice crunch & bite. He certainly has employed a similar style to his other recent reissues, which I am quite fond of.

Gonzo-a-gogo likes this.
  24. lp_zep

lp_zep Forum Resident

I think Neil's organ is alright on the song you mention. It's just so over mixed (even covering the guitar solo) that it sounds out of place.
    Of course Stephen was better on organ, but sometimes tend to overplay.

Matthew Tate and Ryan Lux like this.
  25. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

‘Couch’ album, 4 Way Street and the ‘77 ‘boat’ album. The others aren’t strong enough IMHO.