Dune to be directed by Denis Villeneuve (Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Ok I'm just going to come out and say it... I question whether the word "jihad" could be used in a modern big budget film..

2. It could. With the proper context. If they substitute crusade for it due to political correctness that’s too bad but it doesn’t change the content of the film.

3. Roman Potato Chip

Roman Potato Chip Forum Resident

Word came in that Lynch's Dune is getting a 4K release from Arrow.

[​IMG]

Ghostworld, hi_watt and polchik like this.
  4. Roman Potato Chip

Roman Potato Chip Forum Resident

Why not? In both the book and the original movie he's told the plan by the Baron who is in this movie. That happens towards the beginning of the story, before they even leave for Arrakis.

5. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I've read the books many times over. I'm in the process or rereading the first book right now. Based on the trailer and what has been discussed I don't think you'll see Feyd in the first movie. But I should keep my mouth shut... No spoilers.

6. Drew

Drew Senior Member

In a hollywood movie you have a good guy and a villain. In the Dune books you have shades of grey and it gets even more complicated the further into the series you go. I don't think you can associate the word "jihad" with the faction that the audience is rooting for in a big budget tentpole flick in the year 2021.

I'm shocked that so many people in this thread speak so highly of God Emporer of Dune. It's alwaybeen very close to the top of the list of my favorites in the series and for a kid growing up in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania it was mind blowing. I was enraptured by the philosophy coming out of Leto's mouth. But nobody I knew liked it at the time because it had so few of the original characters and what was left of Paul's lineage had turned into a monstrosity that ruled with an iron grip.

Dune is my favorite series of all time. I question whether there is any way to faithfully turn it into a big budget movie franchise with crossover appeal (blech... I hate the word "franchise" as associated with art).

I've said many times the only reason LOTR was a success is because they embellished every female character in the books. I walked into the theater to watch those movies thinking I should be happy that they spent big money to bring them to the big screen but the way they got their return on investment was to make it as palitable to as wide of an audience as they could. It's always a trade off.

7. God Emperor was a good novel and the last in the series I read that really held my interest.

Good point about the trade-offs needed to make these great books into successful series. It work for LOTRs and failed for The Hobbit.

8. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Yep. Two of the greatest things about Dune that transcended the genre were its prodigious frameworks of spirituality and politics.

marmalade166 likes this.
  9. There is but there will be, no doubt, compromises. I don’t necessarily think that Jackson with LOTR embellished the female characters just around cross over appeal (although it was wise) but recognized that there characters that needed to be developed and fleshed out especially given that the film was both action and character driven. That makes it quite an achievement to me. Likewise, any novel adapted to the screen rarely makes it 100% in tact simply because there are some narratives that work well in a novel that don’t work well on the screen. The film versi0n of a movie is a collective interpretation of the authors project and it is a collective experience which means that there are changes that occur. I’ve seen movies that have improved on novels in a variety of ways either in the way the story was told or changes that allow detours that work (an example would be Blade Runner which is complimentary to the novel Do Android Dream of Electric Sheep? By Dick or even the first two seasons of The Man in the High Castle although that had too many filler episodes).

10. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

It's confirmed that the word jihad is used in the film at well as crusade, at it does in the book.

FVDnz, marmalade166 and wayneklein like this.
  11. There much ado about nothing.

12. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Given the association of each word with a different faith and the inference of one of the terms with religious duty in a way not associated with the other word, I think it is about something. Also, since the publication of Dune the terms have become newly politicized and one of them equated with "inner struggle" in a media blitz that runs counter to the actual history and doctrine. Which just adds another layer of intrigue and meditation on our own world.

13. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

There are a lot of well known actors in the movie, not all of whose characters will make it to part two. I could see them leaving Feyd for the sequel as a cost saving measure.

Drew likes this.
  14. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Feyd can be easily saved for Part 2. How introduction in the gladiatorial arena will be quite impactful. He doesn't necessarily need to appear at the beginning as he can be informed of the Baron's plans within plans later on in the story.

marmalade166 likes this.
  15. I wonder if the movie addresses a question I had after reading this book back in the 70s: How the heck do the many thousands of Fremen feed themselves on Arrakis?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    4_everyman, head_unit and Reese like this.
  16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Ez. You can't starve to death in the desert - because of all the sandwiches there!

17. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Melange is a superfood. Thought everyone knew that.

hi_watt, Spitfire and head_unit like this.
  18. Not everyone.

head_unit likes this.
  19. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

If you solve that mystery, perhaps next you could explain how the Tuskens on Tatooine feed banthas.

20. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Can I buy it on Amazon Fresh?

Leviethan, Simon A and head_unit like this.
  21. Drew

Drew Senior Member

donno... but I thought I saw it on sale at Whole Foods just the other day. Maybe it's in the future. It was some good xxxx any way you look at it.

22. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

No but you can get Soylent green https://www.amazon.com/Chocolate-So...tles/dp/B07T68WHWQ?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1
    It is the secret to how the Fremen and the Banthas and all survived. Using a hyperspacetime tunneling effect to go get the people and grind them into powder. The other real secret being that just out of sight in the desert scenes were McOases where they could order healthy fresh salads and such.

slipkid and vertical like this.
  23. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  24. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Movie looks like doo doo

hi_watt likes this.
  25. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

There are no bad Dunes! :cool:

vertical, FVDnz and marmalade166 like this.