RSD 2021 6/12 (pressing/overall quality review) *first drop*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Jun 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

The Kenny Dorham record is really nice! It’s not perfectly flat but sound great on my system.

Briskit likes this.
  2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

First of all, thanks for the feedback on the Daniel Lanois. I'm looking forward to getting it. I really like his solo work. But that this was just a first release and it will later be issued on black vinyl, I thought I'd hold out.

Secondly, I want to clarify what you said about Everything Must Go. In the same sentence, you say that EMG is "very overlooked" as an album, and also say "three songs on the first side are still very subpar for the Dan." I'm a bit confused to read that the album is very underrated and many songs are very subpar. That seems like a contradiction. Am I misinterpreting this?

bluejimbop likes this.
  3. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Some people fully disown EMG

I think it is full of top tier Dan and a few drecks
    Something that just doesn’t happen on their albums
    Like TAN it is more groove based than the 70s canon

I think Things I Miss the Most and Godwacker are great, the second side is brilliant. Yes Brilliant. And the live cut in studio mode gives an immediacy to the proceedings.

But Slang of Ages, Blues Beach and The Last Mall are lesser fare.
    Rather than roll with the homies, swap out those for a few Morph tunes.

This tour was very engaging. There were deeper cuts of EMG and TAN in the setlist.

4. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

I'm quite satisfied with my 80s OJC.

waaguirr and elgoodo like this.
  5. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Percy just came out yesterday and sounds great

6. TheMovieRad

TheMovieRad If you want to count me, count me out

That’s a good start.

7. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Do you have a stereo LP or CD and a mono button on your preamp?

There seems to be an assumption that this is a simple fold down, and I would think that comparing a summed stereo LP/CD (using the mono button) and comparing to the latest mono LP would answer that if someone were willing to compare the two that way. I may have posted this in another thread, but this is a blurb from a blog:

“Like many Blue Note albums released between the years of 1959 and 1962, every reissue of Quiet Kenny has been stereo despite the original release being exclusively mono. The best explanation for this would be that the album was recorded to two-track tape only. Since Van Gelder didn’t mix down to a separate master tape for mono releases in these instances (all mixing was done on the fly), reissue producers today would only be left with a two-track master tape to work with. And though it’s quite possible that these producers have unanimously preferred the stereo presentation to the mono, they may have also erroneously concluded that the album was monitored and mixed in stereo due to the absence of a mono master tape. But the fact that the inaugural release was strictly in mono strongly suggests the contrary.”

8. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

Unfortunately I don’t have either. I’m going to be honest and say that I had never heard this record until tonight when I put it on.

captouch likes this.
  9. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

I have the exact same issue with the Tom Petty one. I hope I can sell it and buy the black version.
    Thankfully my Flaming Lips LPs are perfect.

Porkpie likes this.
  10. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Well, I got the 2 Bert Jansch LPs. One played through perfectly, or as near as.

The other, Black Swan, is blighted with noise through one side. Sounds like a number of small faults, and there's one scuffmark.

Gonna return it and try for another.

Earth Records seem to get it right most of the time where pressing is concerned, but you get the odd dud. Frustrating, as I like the label and what they put out.

11. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Wake up... and smell the Sunflower

So far I’ve played...

Frank Foster - The Loud Minority. Slight warping unfortunately, but non-audible. Great sounding record. I also own this on CD (simply because it’s a highlight of early seventies political-spiritual jazz) and the vinyl certainly offers more depth, warmth and detail.

Steely Dan - Two Against Nature. Perfectly quiet and flat. I know this music very well. The CD already was one of my reference recordings, but now it’s finally being replaced by the vinyl. Beautiful.

Grateful Dead - Paris ‘72. Very pleasantly surprised. Wasn’t expecting this to become a regular player to be honest, more of a cool thing to cherish as a fan. But it actually sounds great. Pressing flawless, perfectly flat and quiet (all six discs).

Dignan2000, uzn007, DocShipe and 3 others like this.
  12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I'm surprised no one has "non fill" issues with Prince. I can see it clearly on my album. I haven't played it yet so perhaps its not audible. But it doesn't look good.

uzn007 likes this.
  13. April Snow

April Snow Forum Resident

I know the Prince one is so disappointing - and so many of us getting badly warped ones too. I cannot get another replacement as sold out - and I am too scared to try to order from overseas because it is too risky with all these issues we are having..............

14. Ludger

Ludger ISthisALLreal, ISthisALLnecessary, ORisTHISaJOKE?

T.Rex - Star King

The sound is good, the vinyl flat and quiet.
    But oh the music! I mean you gotta love the working versions of Born to Boogie, Children of the Revolution and Baby Boomerang, but who needs dreck like Big Black Cat (which hasn't even got Marc on lead vocals), Dreamy Lady or Christmas Bop?
    For completists only.

Veltri likes this.
  15. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

You’re the only one seemingly riled up :) No, I didn’t buy the Kinks or U2 yesterday. In fact I didn’t buy anything yesterday. Much like the last few RSDs. I only gave an example of a very commonly known picture disc that I’m saying can sound good. Our host has said it as well, he posted about using the picture disc as a reference when mastering the DCC CD. I quite like my picture discs for Thriller, or Slippery When Wet. I also think the Whipped Cream & Other Delights anniversary picture disc is very good. Certainly not 50 years old. Perfectly silent surfaces, lower than the noise floor of the tape hiss in the recording itself. All analog cut from the original master tapes by Ron McMaster. How many examples do you want? I could give you plenty of examples of ones that are straight up unlistenable garbage as well. My point is that there’s too much variation to draw a conclusion either way. Sure, sound quality isn’t usually the priority when it comes to these. But it is just wrong to say they are ALWAYS bad. More accurate to say that you’re taking a big gamble and the odds are not in your favor.

16. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

No love for the Focus set on here? Just got round to playing this today and it's blown me away. Two lovely flat clear vinyl LPs, poly-lined inners, thick card foil-numbered gatefold sleeve. I know some of these tracks far too well, but they've sprinkled something magical on them. Bottom end I wasn't aware my kit could coax out of the format! Very pleased with this purchase.

17. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I was not aware it was a picture disc when I purchased it. I have a fear that playing it (too often) will wear out the image along the grooves. I know people here on the SH Forum have written this does not happen to picture discs, but I have a memory from back in the late 70s/ early 80s of someone showing me a picture disc they played many times with a spiral scar worn through the image.

18. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

People need to view picture discs as collectors items for the collection or wall, not something you are going to listen to. As long as you go in with that perspective. They are novelty items.

19. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

The Kenny Dorham sounds great but a have a loud repetitive pop for 9 revolutions during the bass solo on track 1 side 2. I could see there was a defect there but was hoping it was visual only but it is not. So disappointing.

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  20. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Memories have a way of playing tricks on us sometimes. The only way a spiral scar would be worn through the image is if the record was subjected to something that would leave a spiral scar on any record. Perhaps worse. Like putting a vinyl LP on a 1900’s Victrola. Otherwise, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. The picture is printed on a sheet of paper, sandwiched between a thick center core of vinyl and a thinner top layer of vinyl. If your stylus is cutting through the top vinyl into the picture, you’ve got much bigger problems to worry about. If you like how it sounds then just spin the thing, that’s what it’s for! If you got unlucky and it sounds like a bowl of rice krispies… display it however you wish.

AnalogJ likes this.
  21. Are you saying it's been on confirmed that the Police is being held back in Canada till the next RSD drop although it was released elsewhere this past weekend?

22. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

Did anyone pick up the WU LYF Go Tell Fire to the Mountain clear pressing and did already listen to it?

23. The Prince album I got was the best sounding record for this RSD. It’s fabulous. I’ve always lived the CD but the LP sounds so much better.

Ben Adams, CBackley, sonofjim and 2 others like this.
  24. Xander2017

Xander2017 Forum Resident

Yes, that's what I was told by a couple of local record stores.

violetvinyl likes this.
  25. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

that wouldn’t be my first intention, but I gave the album a listen and was positively surprised! Alright, I’ll get it..

Cheers, D.

Neonbeam likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.