Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Gwilym Simcock is an excellent pianist, if you have an opportunity to see him perform, go for it, I saw him give a solo performance at the Montreal Jazz Festival in 2012. I did not know him, but André Ménard who is one of the cofounders of the festival, did an interview for the local news on TV and he recommend it, he said, if you buy tickets and do not like him, I will refund you. So I bought it and did not called André.

He also played with Bill Bruford's Eartwork on some albums.

GnuHigh likes this.
  2. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Ralph Towner: Old Friends New Friends

[​IMG]

3. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

Yeah, being a pretty hardcore Bruford nerd, I was familiar with Simcock from late Earthworks. I was surprised to see him pop up on a Metheny record! I'll check out some of his solo work.

KCLizard likes this.
  4. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Hoping for more rain , it is extremely dry here, leaves fall from tree because there is not enough water, hopefully on this cloudy day will get a bit of rain.

5. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

I absolutely agree on the bounty, but, OTOH, 'tapes disintegrate or get lost, 78s break, etc., etc.' and to paraphrase Dolphy about music itself 'it's into the air and gone,' recordings being the only artifact left once the 'creators' have departed.
    5 minutes ago, I was thinking about the earlier scat comment I made; incomplete though that 'record' (on records) is, it's the only real one, other than written commentary of the time without examples, aka "hearsay."

As for hoarding, I've always seen it as like this 'what is "hoarding" in 800 sq. feet is no longer so in 5,000 sq. feet.' I don't consider an organized collection to be "hoarding" myself, though I'm aware some folks do.
    And for the record, I've no issues with "hoarders" myself, that's their business, not mine. I believe in preservation too, no matter who it's done by.
    Go to go...

davidpoole likes this.
  6. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Camel - Mirage (Deram UICY-78066)

Sorry...it is not jazz but with the soon to be released remixed version of Free Hand by Gentle Giant is a big incentive for some prog-rock listening.

Mirage was released in 1974 and is one of my favorite album of the period.

[​IMG]

Gugaz, SJR, Jmac1516 and 9 others like this.
  7. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Damn good, how is the mastering of your version, unfortunately my CD is scratched, so I may order it , if available.

dennis the menace likes this.
  8. dennis the menace

I have three copîes of the album and this is the best sounding version I have. It is not available anymore on CDJapan but one other SHM-CD is, it was initially released in 2013 and is not bad at all, specially at that price.

CDJapan : Mirage +4 [SHM-CD] Camel CD Album

KCLizard likes this.
  9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Well, if I had 5,000 square feet it would be a different story. I wouldn't need a storage unit and could isolate a few thousad of those feet for me and my wife (who is the one who rightly or wrongly claims a collection the size of mine is a "hoard") would be okay with that. Alas. . . I live in a 1,000 square feet expanded cottage with no central air and luckily heat.

I love that about music. . . that it is cerebral and ephemeral and we have "replications" of it from the past (even if it was just minutes ago!) that we can play back, and the REAL music is gone the moment it's performed. I love this aspect. That is its magic, it's treasured characteristic, like life itself to be savored and remembered and be beyond touch and reach. Life is good. Music is good. Hoarding. . . perhaps not so good for those who come after you. I'm at a point where I have to consider those who remain after me. . . and thinking about it makes my head and heart hurt. But have to face it sooner or later.

Right now
    Charlie Haden "The Montreal Tapes--Gonzalo Rubalcado" Verve cd
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All these Montreal Tape releases are excellent. I may have to buy the Henderson one again--I can't seem to locate my copy. This piano trio is perhaps my favorite of the three piano trio releases in the series. . . but then I suspect I think that of each of the three when I play them. They are all excellent.

peter1, Berthold, Mugrug12 and 12 others like this.
  10. Lonson

No apologies are necessary (as you know). This weekend I was looking at a live Yes box set I barely made it through once on top of one of my bookshelves and thinking it may be time for some prog-rocking myself.

11. dennis the menace

The Henderson with Al Foster on drums might be my favorite of The Montreal Tapes.

12. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Can you give us a wee review of your thoughts on this release when you are finished?

Lonson likes this.
  13. Lonson

Well, my thoughts are this is an excellent reissue. One could wish for a huge booklet--the one here sure isn't--but the price tag would be bigger as well and I confess notes are less important to me every day (I used to pore over every word--now I often don't even open the booklets).

The remastered sound is excellent--not a loudness war victim and for a Carnegi Hall recordimg the original recording itself is very well-done. Nice EQ and an atmospheric presentation.

This is a transitional sort of unit for Mingus. . . Bluette didn't stay too long and there's some new material and revamped Mingus chestnuts. . . performed with spirit and a gravitas that I think happens when you are in that fabled hall. After decades of just having the released second, "saxophone jam" set, it's great to hear this first set which by the second number is cooking and by the time they get to the final composition by Don Pullen "Big Alice" they are all focused and hitting it. The second set is legendary for the "cutting contest" aspect and each of the horns is really putting out their best, perhaps trying hard to one up Kirk, which just can't be done. . . .

A great addition to the jazz treasure.

14. Lonson

It certainly is excellent. Darn. . . I wanted to hear it. . . I think my copy is in the back of the storage unit, which I haven't managed an archaeological expedition to for a while. There aren't many copies out there either, and what are out there to buy are expensive. I'll keep an eye out.

15. dennis the menace

LOL !! Good luck finding it. :)

Lonson likes this.
  16. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

17. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Today it's hot. Just a bit less than 30° Celsius.
    Too high humidity! I just wet my cat. I have seen that she liked it. :agree:

18. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Ordered from CD Universe (CD version) and delivered today:

[​IMG]

19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

As for music, "hoarding" is when someone is at a garage sale that has maybe 5 boxes of records responds to the owner who says, "Take 'em all for $50" and buys 'em all, even though 98% of it is in poor condition and "easy listening".

He then puts them in his garage at home, cause the house is full of other such stuff.

davidpoole likes this.
  20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

My brain still thinks it’s true but I can’t come up with evidence so Case Dismissed!

NP Paul Desmond Quartet - Like Someone In Love (Telarc)
    Live in Toronto with the Canadian band, part of what ended up on the Mosaic box. All the tracks were previously unreleased at the time.

21. Ant G

Ant G Senior Member

Excellent album... I also love "The Snow Goose"!

22. Ant G

Ant G Senior Member

NP: A Love Supreme
    [​IMG]

23. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing….I like it!:)

24. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

There was the vinyl release a few months back of the one with Henderson…excellent mastering job as well.

25. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Peter Bardens and Andrew Latimer are two good musicians. Bardens has played with Van Morrison as well at the end of the Seventies.