Garbage New Album "No Gods No Masters" June 11, 2021*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LilacTeardrop, Mar 9, 2020.

1. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

pretty cringe inducing lyrics, but overall another enjoyable listen. not as hard to take as their third album, but dang if i don't appreciate them for never changing. anyone who thinks they weren't exactly the same in the mid-90s is fooling themselves.

the vinyl sounds quite good.

2. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

I really like Beautiful Garbage, but seems that many don’t.

3. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

The white LP record sounds as compressed as their last few offerings! :cry:
    I couldn't agree more!

4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

That's interesting because the.... how do we call it?.... more Blondie-, The Go Gos-like approach works well on certain songs while others seem to be tailor-made to fit certain - then current - trends. Like the singing saw in... is it "Cup Of Coffee"? But that accusation is as old as the band itself.

I like it but it was a step down.

GentleSenator likes this.
  5. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

A wonderfully appreciative review over at Pitchfork, which is not a publication that reviews contemporary work by has-been rock stars, unless the specific work is pretty remarkable, so... a promising sign!

Garbage: No Gods No Masters

6. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Forum Resident

I've seen several people say they don't like the lyrics. What about them do people not like? Just curious, not judging. To me, they seem much more in your face and direct than previous Garbage albums, which are usually much more vague.

7. Rorsontherun

Rorsontherun Forum Resident

Also liked the lyrics because they are exposing current world problematic issues in a direct way!

8. BruceWayne

Agreed. There are very direct themes on this album, unlike previous Garbage records which are more ambiguous for the listener to interpret themselves. Political corruption and greed, racism, misogyny, abuse, even the environment....all extremely prevalent on this album.

Matt Bowers and Rorsontherun like this.
  9. Neonbeam

Wow! 7,3 from Pitchfork (for Garbage) is almost like 4 out of 5! :goodie:
    Have to say I also think the lyrics are OK, very in your face, some stuff maybe a bit ott.

But "Flipping the bird"... I don't think I've ever heard that outside of a certain Johnny Cash portrait, it sounds so Retro and old school, it's great! :uhhuh:

Rob Hughes likes this.
  10. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i think you described the situation just right! they're just so... overt. i have no problem with the subjects contained. they're just delivered in less artful fashion, if you will.

TexasBuck likes this.
  11. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

gonna listen to it on youtube today finally.
    my box set that shipped out finally updated and says i won't have it until Thursday yet.
    So many others got their orders from the band already and yet mine is still 4 days away....good grief!

12. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

I'm having a hard time getting through the mastering: this is one loud fatiguing CD.

scobb and thetman like this.
  13. hoschhti

hoschhti Active Member

If the mastering on the CD is the same like the Youtube-versions then it's actually not that bad imo.

14. Neonbeam

Those "Best album since 'Version 2.0'" quotes are piling up. Eventually this record will end up as Garbages very own "Scary Monsters"! :cheers:

15. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

It is my favorite Garbage album.

DBMethos and Neonbeam like this.
  16. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Just gave No Gods No Masters my 1st full listen. The standout tracks are Wolves, Godhead, and the title track. However the whole album is excellent. Musically and lyrically it works as a whole. No weak tracks. I do like the new wave vibe of some of the tracks and the industrial sound as well.

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Wait - isn't "2.0" the Garbage equivalent of "Scary Monsters"? Or "Exile on Main Street", or "Band on the Run", or other "it's this artist's best since 'Iconic Album A'"?

pobbard likes this.
  18. Neonbeam

That's what I was implying! :righton:

Oatsdad likes this.
  19. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

after listening to the new album for the first time today now, i would say i like it a lot.
    Is it my favorite album of theirs? heck no, but is it good? Yes, i find all of their albums to be good, just some better than others.

With hearing the new album just once, this is how i'd rank their albums now.

1. Garbage
    2. Version 2.0
    3. Strange Little Birds
    4. Bleed Like Me
    5. No Gods No Masters
    6. Beautiful Garbage
    7. Not Your Kind of People

JeffMo likes this.
  20. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Soul black vinyl to stop your tears

Neonbeam and aseriesofsneaks like this.
  21. BruceWayne

It's still early for me to give the albums a sincere ranking, but I'll give it a preliminary go.

1. Garbage
    2. Version 2.0
    3. No Gods No Masters
    4. Bleed Like Me
    5. Strange Little Birds
    6. Not Your Kind of People
    7. beautifulgarbage

22. Lanark

Lanark The French for deja-vu

I was kinda hoping that 'no gods no masters' might be an oblique reference to mastering, but it seems the god of LOUDER LOUDER is still in the ascendancy!

jamesc, Dave Decadent and scobb like this.
  23. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

1. The lyrics may have something to do with Shirley being influenced by Idles, they blow her away like they blow me away;)

24. Neonbeam

Great run out groove notation on the vinyl versions:

COMPLETED IN THE YEAR OF COVID 2020

25. Disco Robot

Disco Robot Forum Resident

Really impressed, excellent record. The deluxe CD is pretty great value. I don't see myself skipping tracks on this, but current favorites are the title track and The Creeps