INXS - The Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Nov 19, 2020.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Suicide Blonde.

2. mark winstanley

I Send A Message.

3. mark winstanley

4. mark winstanley

What You Need.

5. mark winstanley

New Sensation.

6. mark winstanley

7. mark winstanley

Devil Inside.

8. mark winstanley

9. mark winstanley

10. mark winstanley

The Messenger.

11. mark winstanley

I didn't see the point of covering these all individually, so there is the rest of the album.

A few interesting things.....
    Michael seems particularly feisty here, and is very playful with the audience.
    When they play Heaven Sent, he tells the crowd they are in a video.... and if they shot the single video there, that makes sense, then the next song he mentions the video again...... It makes me wonder if they video'd the whole show? It could possibly be something worth seeing if they did, but it may have just been a dry run with no audio recorded.... I don't know. I just found it interesting.

I think the band put on a good performance. I also wonder if that setlist is complete, or if it has been shuffled, because The Messenger seems a slightly odd song to finish on, particularly as a brand new song that probably nobody knew at the time.

I find the release timing of this to be quite bizarre. The band had recorded it over ten years prior - They had just released a new single, with a new lead singer, after tragically losing their lead singer
    It just seems terribly unusual the timing of this release.

Anyway, let us know your thoughts on the Barker Hanger concert .... also the fact that it was a digital download only

12. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I downloaded this show when it came out...and while I'm a big fan of this tour/era I don't enjoy this recording as much as I should in theory.

The song list is great, love how much new stuff they play, but I don't really care for the mix and the fades between tracks kill some of the momentum. I dunno, it's weird.

13. David Jakubowski

David Jakubowski Forum Resident

I enjoy Barker Hanger because I like hearing so many post-Live Baby Live songs performed live, and it’s great to hear Michael so loose and playful. The sound quality isn’t good, the fades in between songs is a clear pander to a younger, digital-only demographic (friendly to playlist and shuffle-listeners; hostile to album-listeners), and the timing of the release was bizarre to say the least. Still, I like it for what it is, and I’m quite happy to have it.

14. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Agree. The sound quality is very poor to me too.

mark winstanley likes this.
  15. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Well, this is interesting: looks like the band's entire discography (including some singles & b-sides) is back on Spotify. Not sure about other streaming services.

16. David Jakubowski

Same for Apple Music… The only main albums now missing from Apple Music are Elegantly Wasted and either/both versions of Live Baby Live.

mark winstanley likes this.
  17. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Ha, I just noticed that EW is still missing from Spotify.

18. David Jakubowski

Still some work to do, but at least the streaming catalog is better than it was.

mark winstanley and twicks like this.
  19. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

The remainder of these tracks from Barker Hangar live are, for the most part, exceptional. These versions exemplify just how amazing INXS were live. Loose, raw and this case, incredibly risky since around half the show comprised of mostly or relatively new material. All this considering the semi-small crowd of nearly 4,000 and that the mistakes made were left in the recordings' release - which I actually like. Part of the track listing is bizarre and that's because there are several different editions with exclusive alternate encore tracks (Time, Bitter Tears, Mystify & Don't Change), depending on where you buy it from. Regarding the sound quality: I don't have that much of a problem with it. Sure, they could've cleaned it up a bit more or remixed parts of it. Nonetheless, it's the rawness that partly attracts me to this release...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  20. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I recently found a bootleg of this gig and actually enjoy it sound-wise more than the official release. (It also has the missing songs, so the full gig can be reassembled). I think it was a silver disc boot taken from a pre-FM CD sent to radio stations, although I could be wrong. The mix isn't that different but for whatever reason it's a bit more pleasant to my ears.

Happy to have the show in any form though, I really enjoy a lot of the music they made after X and am happy to have official live versions of some of it.

21. mark winstanley

Switch

[​IMG]
    Studio album by
    INXS
    Released
    29 November 2005
    Recorded 2004–2005
    Genre Funk rock[1]
    Length 44:04
    Label Epic
    Producer Guy Chambers

Switch is the eleventh studio album by the Australian rock band INXS, and their last to be composed of entirely new material. It was released on 29 November 2005. It is notable for being the only album with new lead singer J.D. Fortune since the 1997 death of Michael Hutchence as well as for having production work by English hit-maker Guy Chambers.

The album received mixed critical reviews. The album's songwriting and quality from song to song was found to be inconsistent and varied by critics such as Matt Collar of Allmusic. However, some reviewers also complimented frontman J.D. Fortune's singing as well as the inclusion of guest vocalists such as Suzie McNeil, who had starred with Fortune in the program Rock Star: INXS. The album was also commercially successful, reaching the top 20 in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the United States.

INXS
    Additional musician(s)
    Production
    • Guy Chambers – producer, orchestra arrangements
    • Richard Flack – additional production, recording, programming, mixing
    • Paul Stanborough – additional engineering, digital editing
    • Todd Parker – additional digital editing
    • Tim Palmer – mixing on "Hot Girls" and "Like It or Not"
    • Andrew Farriss and Kirk Pengilly – horn arrangements
    • Tracy Walker, Assen Stoyanov, Steve '13' Jones and Zack Horne – assistant engineers
    • Assen Stoyanov, Jamie Seyberth, John Hanes and Tim Roberts – mixing assistants
    • David Massey and Kaz Utsunomiya – A&R
    • David Gray – additional A&R
    • Doug Sax – mastering
    • Dylan Chambers – record coordinator
    Design
    • Brandy Flower – art direction, design
    • Sheryl Nields – photography
    • Scott Duncan – back cover photography
    • Lynne Bugai – stylist
    1. "Devil's Party" Andrew Farriss, J.D. Fortune 3:25
    2. "Pretty Vegas" A. Farriss, Fortune, Marty Casey, Jordis Unga 3:25
    3. "Afterglow" A. Farriss, Desmond Child 4:08
    4. "Hot Girls" A. Farriss, Guy Chambers, The Matrix 3:30
    5. "Perfect Strangers" Garry Gary Beers, Tony Bruno, The Matrix, Shelly Peiken 4:12
    6. "Remember Who's Your Man" A. Farriss, Gregg Alexander, Annie Roboff 3:28
    7. "Hungry" A. Farriss 4:47
    8. "Never Let You Go" Jon Farriss, Fortune 4:18
    9. "Like It or Not" Kirk Pengilly, Hughie Murray 3:44
    10. "Us" A. Farriss, Chambers 4:07
    11. "God's Top Ten" A. Farriss 4:54

Weekly charts
    Chart (2005-2006) Peak
    position

Australian Albums (ARIA)[26] 18
    Canadian Albums (Billboard)[27] 2
    New Zealand Albums (RMNZ)[28] 7
    US Billboard 200[29] 17

Year-end charts

Chart (2006) Position
    Australian Albums (ARIA)[30] 54
    US Billboard 200[31] 198
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentially I know nothing about this... The only thing I know about this so far is the Pretty Vegas track we listened to the other day. So it is going to up to you guys to shine a light on this album. I'm sure it will all come into focus as we go through the songs, but essentially I am working on a few notes here and there, that merely tell me about reactions to this and how it sold.

So for all the contention about how JD Fortune came into the band, and all the exposure this gave the band, that would have been good in some eyes and bad in others, it comes down to the fact - "What did they manage to do with the opportunity to record again as Inxs..... The ride to this point has been terribly rocky for the band. They raced to the top of the Australian market with a broad variety of pop/rock styles, and were for a good deal of time probably the number one band in the country.
    They managed to get a little exposure outside Australia, and slowly but surely got a few people's attention. Then obviously with the Kick album they exploded all over the world..... then to some degree, with a world that knew very little of the history of the band, they released the X album, and it seems as though the general public, with little knowledge of the band's history, and diversity were left thinking that these guys were a bit of a one trick pony ..... Although the band did quite well with their subsequent albums, the public interest just never seemed to accept them back into the spotlight, in spite of some solid albums.... Then of course we have Michael with personal and relationship problems, and also the feeling of falling from the good graces of the public falling into a deep depression and sadly taking his own life......
    The band never really seemed to recover from that in my mind, and after several false starts and singers in and out of the door, somewhat fed up with waiting for the band to actually want to do something, we got the tv show ....
    In many ways the tv show was a masterstroke, in terms of commercial exposure and acceptance, but in the broader musical community it really wasn't very accepted, and I will admit to being one who thought, and thinks it was a terrible idea to tie this to the legacy of the band ...... The band is now forever tied to reality tv, and I'm sorry, but that is a bad thing ... but the guys found their man, and they fought through all their issues to come to the point where they made the album that the world was waiting almost ten years to get...... and we are about to go on that journey with them.

It seem that the album would have always sold a decent amount of copies, because from the outset of the rock and roll explosion, tv exposure has always been a key factor in breaking through to the masses .... without tv exposure many of the worlds biggest artists, would not have been quite so big, but it is also important how that exposure comes across to the general public, because the broader general public buying or rejecting your product is where the reward lies, when we are talking about these kind of things. A band can hit the lower end of the charts by slogging it out in the pubs and clubs and working their tails off to get in front of as many people as possible, but with commercial television, you have millions of people on tap, ready to be drawn into your world if you get them on your side......

The album did very well. Top twenty in Australia and the US, and top ten in Canada and New Zealand, just missing the top spot in Canada ... so for the most part, this was a success .....

So please give us your thoughts and feelings about the album, how it came about, how it was seen from your group of people, and all those kinds of things, so we can assess to some degree what this album actually meant across the board.... the pros and the cons.
    and we'll hit the first song tomorrow.

Cheers
    Mark

22. mark winstanley

23. mark winstanley

24. mark winstanley

25. mark winstanley