Movies That Killed Careers

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JediJones, Apr 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Harry Hamlin, highly qualified and telegenic - played a gay guy in 1982's Making Love, a project that many leading men not unwisely passed on. He did well in TV, obviously. But his subsequent filmography is a bunch of movies you've never heard of.

fr in sc, rockerreds and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The 2017 "Mummy" wasn't good, but I liked it more than the 2020 "Invisible Man", which I effin' hated!

Just about the dumbest movie I ever saw:

The Invisible Man [Blu-Ray] (2020)

3. Oatsdad

I guess I'd think that 1982 movie harpooned his movie career if he'd had much of one prior to it.

Hamlin only appeared in 3 theatrical releases prior to 1982. "Clash of the Titans" was his attempted breakout, but it was only a moderate hit.

Seemed like it underperformed at the time. Felt like it was gonna be a summer tentpole, but it just did decent business.

$41 million US = about $120 million now - respectable but not great.

So I don't think Hamlin had a movie career to kill in 1982, and as you note, he eventually became a star via TV...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

True, kinda. And I've responded similarly re: some other folks listed in this thread. Clash of the Titans was the 11th biggest film of 1981 (per Wikipedia), which has to count for something. As for your currency conversion - is that accounting for ticket-price inflation? I used to have access to inflation-adjusted box office, but don't now.

5. Oatsdad

I just did a straight inflation calculator, so it's possible ticket prices > inflation.

Anyway, I was 14 in 1981 and recall that the movie came with lots of hype but not a ton of interest.

Yeah, #11 means it wasn't a flop by any means, but it had the kind of hype that implied it should've been a much bigger hit.

Also, Hamlin was just along for the ride. That was the kind of movie people saw regardless of the lead actor.

Hamlin in "Clash" = Sam Worthington in "Avatar". SW might've been in the biggest hit ever but it did little for his career because he wasn't the attraction.

People went to "Avatar" for the spectacle, and the same would've been true for "Clash". The no-name actor as the lead didn't matter! :)

6. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

100% probable (I used to write about box office). But agreed on the rest.

Oatsdad likes this.
  7. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's still possible to view the top 1,000 inflation-adjusted movies on Box Office Mojo, at least up to pre-pandemic movies, and up to 2019 dollars:

Top Lifetime Adjusted Grosses - Box Office Mojo

Clash of the Titans just made the cut at position 994 with $135,225,174.

carlwm likes this.
  8. Oatsdad

Not much off the $120m I stated.

If a much-hyped movie like "Clash" made $135m today, it'd be viewed as a disappointment.

And that's what I thought it was in 1981. Clearly not a bomb, but not the smash many expected it to be...

9. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident Thread Starter

The remake with Sam Worthington actually made spot 621 on this list with $189,503,151. The sequel Wrath of the Titans doesn't make the top 1,000.

But, yeah, judging by both Harry and Sam, this franchise is never a good career-booster.

10. I don’t think that Harry was on the way to being a major movie star at any point in his career. He’s a fine leading man and actor but hardly has star quality IMHO. I think “Making Love” was designed to raise that profile but didn’t exactly do that either as it was a mediocre film.

11. Oatsdad

Sam was just a really charisma-free actor, and that might be why he ended up in some of these tent-poles: he didn't threaten to distract from the spectacle.

Still kinda shocking how many big - or potentially big - movies Sam made, and how forgotten he seems to be.

"Avatar", 2010 "Clash", "Terminator Salvation", etc.

Like "fetch", Hollywood wanted to make Sam happen, but he didn't!

wayneklein likes this.
  12. I wouldn’t disagree about Hamlin’s career but, to be fair, Clash made $70 million world wide which, on a budget of $15 million is a solid ROI. It did under perform to expectations as the studio hoped for something akin to Star Wars

13. Oatsdad

Yeah, it made decent change - I've said already it wasn't a bomb.

But as we agree, it didn't live up to the hype.

wayneklein likes this.
  14. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

Good point. Another victim of the changing media landscape of the last 20+ years. I presume newspapers and magazines still employ film critics, but their reach is declining for obvious reasons. The proliferation of movie review websites has saturated the market, making it difficult for any one critic to stand out from the crowd. The few names I recognize now are old-guard critics from the pre-internet age who are still working.

15. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Making Love was Hamlin's second film role. So he hardly had a film career to kill at that point!

ETA: woops, @Oatsdad beat me to it! Not intending to pile on!...

I'd add that, IMHO Hamlin was the weak link in the regular cast of the television series L.A. Law. I.e., the role he's most known for. (Tied with Michele Greene.) So I don't know if a gangbusters film career was ever in the cards for him.

I agree with your point that a handsome leading man (in 1982) taking a role as a hedonistic gay man probably wasn't going to do his career any favors.

Oatsdad and rockerreds like this.
  16. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Worthington is in the cast for Avatar 2. So there's that.....

Oatsdad likes this.
  17. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Thanx for the warning.

bpmd1962 and Oatsdad like this.
  18. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Interesting - cuz it gets 91% on Rotten Tomatoes:
    The Invisible Man (2020)

I guess you're one of the 9 percent!.....

19. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Every actor's career in the movie version of "Hitch-Hicker's Guide To The Galaxy" survived.....
    EXCEPT Mos Def!....or, perhaps it was that movie with Jack Black, where they tried to recreate movies, maybe?

20. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

After the success and acclaim of The Rose, Bette Midler almost killed her movie career with Jinxed in 1982. It wasn't until four years later that she hit a home run when she teamed up with Disney.

Dodoz and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Oatsdad

Well, he kinda has to be! :D

I was just surprised that Worthington appeared in a bunch of "tentpole" movies but it did approximately zilch for his career overall.

Granted, he did get to be in those movies, but he wasn't able to use the handful of tentpoles to turn himself into a "name" actor...

22. Oatsdad

Oh, I know that the 2020 "Invisible Man" got great reviews. I just can't figure out why.

I understand that horror movies are inherently ridiculous and that you need to suspend some disbelief to enjoy them. For them to function, the characters have to behave in stupid ways, so I can make that leap.

I just thought "Invisible Man" asked for too much suspension. It never made a lick of sense.

And I also thought the 1st "Quiet Place" was sub-moronic as well! :D

23. Oatsdad

I don't think he had a big enough career for any movie to "kill" it.

He got some decent work for a while but he was never a movie star. He was always better known for music...

24. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

You just can't see it. :D

25. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

Can't believe nobody has mentioned "The Brown Bunny" (I figured that would be the first response, kind of Exhibit A of career killers) or "Freddy Got Fingered."

lbangs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.