The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

[​IMG]

2. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

An incredible show. One of my all-time favourites.

3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I had made up my mind not to buy this one. EU72 is very well represented in my collection on LP and certainly digital formats, there isn’t a ton of diversity in the set list from night to night and the songs are pretty bang bang without anything super long and weird as I would prefer from EU72. And yes. It’s not free, flipping doesn’t make things better and I have digital versions that also sound fantastic. I am so glad I came to my senses. This just kills every other vinyl release from that tour and the sound quality is top tier, it responds very well to volume. I had the peaks at about 110db, it stayed clean and vivid without any glare or crispness. Jerry’s vocals sound so natural it’s unsettling, like there is a dead guy in the room with me.

I’’m not giving any kind of A/B comparison with other formats or versions, all the format warriors can just chill the **** out. I Had as much or more fun playing this on Saturday than I’ve had listening to the Dead in a long time. It was as mind blowing, like the first time I heard the cd release of 100 year Hall when it was released 25 or so years ago. That is probably still My favorite EU72 release but this baguette show isn’t too far off.

4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

14 June 1976- Peakin' at the Beacon!

The "in crowd" is listening to this show and I wanna stay hip.

5. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

The Beatles, The Dead and Bill Bruford.

ARK, fishcane and j4yheindeo like this.
  6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

That would have been a cool concert bill. Any other reason to bring this up?

ARK, bzfgt, Burningfool and 1 other person like this.
  7. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Musical fulcrums lol

ARK and Crazy Otto like this.
  8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

You've heard of Lollapalooza? Get a ticket for the Fulcrum Fest.

ARK, frightwigwam, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  9. j4yheindeo

j4yheindeo Forum Resident

I do love all things Bill Bruford ... Good one! :tiphat:

fishcane and US Blues like this.
  10. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

This is part of the reason why it's such a great version, IMO. By November of 1973, the Dead could shift gears into their typical meltdown basically in their sleep. It was a standard part of the show and it often didn't vary that much from night to night.

When they went into an extended improvisation, without descending into full-blown chaos, while still retaining some semblance of structure, that's a lot more interesting to my ears.

11. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Based on @scribbs 's recommendation, I listened to a chunk of 6-25-91 (Sandstone) yesterday while mowing my lawn. While I'm usually a SBD guy, I picked the Young/Brennecke audience tape in this case (as those guys made some great tapes in 1991).

Scarlet>Fire: Great version, but probably not an all-timer. Pretty close, though. The bane of my Deadhead existence in the late 80s were the rushed, short transitions on Scarlet>Fire, or, worse, yet, the dreaded "Scarlet>nothing." Somewhere around 1991 they started opening it up again, and one word I would use to describe this version is "unhurried." They take their time. For instance, there's a great sequence during the transition where Jerry first starts playing the "Scarlet" outro riff again, then hints at "Fire," but instead of diving right into it (as they often would in the late 80s), they back off and ease their way into it nice and slowly.

This version is also notable for a lot of great Jerry/Vince interplay, even during the Scarlet verse solos. I can't think of another version where the keyboardist solos over the changes during the main solo section of "Scarlet," (there must be some, but I can't think of any offhand), and Vince gets in a couple of good solos here.

Truckin': Good enough, nothing spectacular that I recall. Bobby's voice sounds like schitt, even though Jerry is trying to do his harmonies rather nicely.

Smokestack Lightning: Again, good, with nothing spectacular. To be honest, I always found most of the second-set blues numbers in the "Smokestack/Spoonful/Nobody's Fault" family to be fairly underwhelming when they were revived in the 80s and 90s. The band just didn't have the appropriate level of grit to pull them off anymore.

He's Gone: Very good version. This was usually one of Jerry's better second-set ballads from a vocal standpoint, but this version includes a decent out-jam as well.

Drums & Space: Very long (almost half an hour) and very engaging. I often skip "drums" when listening to complete second sets from this era but I rode this one out and enjoyed it.

Comes a Time: This one was almost always a great vocal vehicle for Jerry, and this one is no exception. A comment on the archive reminds me that there was a nice, long transition into "Comes a Time" out of space -- again, the key word for this show is "unhurried" -- but Jerry's solo is kind of tentative and repetitive. Not an all-timer.

GDTR>Good Lovin: Good, nothing special. I didn't listen to all of "Good Lovin'" so I might have missed some great stuff in the second half, if there was any.

Wrapped up the lawn before listening to "Baby Blue" but I'm sure it was great (my favorite encore).

One of the other comments on the archive makes a good point about the setlist and general vibe of 1991 shows. The Built To Last material had been integrated into setlists at that point, Vince and Bruce had settled into the band, and the new songs (that eventually wound up on Ready or Not) hadn't been introduced yet. So after a few years of integrating new material, integrating new MIDI gear and integrating two new bandmembers, 1991 had much more of a relaxed, exploratory vibe with no complications and no "obligations" except to play.

12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I've never heard a version of Scarlet with Keith or Brent where they soloed over the verse. I haven't heard many Vince-era versions. Just listened to this one and sounds like Jerry sort of fades out once or twice and Vince jumps in.

Coincidentally, I was just listening to more of 9/14/90 and in the Fire from that show, Vince starts to play a solo but Jerry cuts him off with a verse. Something I've heard happen at least one other time on that song with Vince.

13. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Now I'm even more psyched to listen to this. I snagged a copy yesterday at 10% off due to some minor damage to the box...and it was the store's last copy!

wavethatflag and Dennis0675 like this.
  14. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Hell, I’ve had thoughts about buying a safety copy before they are gone. It’s a run of 10,000, I’d think the prices will drop before it’s gone.

wavethatflag and CybrKhatru like this.
  15. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

That Dark Star is a real outlier....the one criticism that could be leveled about 1973 Dark Stars vs. 1972 is basically what you say, the progression was less surprising; after the second verse, things usually went in a similar direction right away, and there was little structured/focused jamming usually (after the verse). That one is a huge exception, sort of out of nowhere....(of course 12-06 is a massive outlier also, for other reasons...)

16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

According to a Lossless Legs post with photos, it turns out that we've had some of the lineup for the 4/1/80 April Fools "Promised Land" wrong all this time. It was Bill on rhythm guitar/vocals and Mickey on bass.

17. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

wavethatflag likes this.
  18. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

I just listened to this for the first time and am completely charmed.

I'm coming off a Dead-free and fully offline weekend. Wrapped up 10/21/83 (30 Trips) on Thursday night -- marvelous first set, even more marvelous second set. I'm digging these 80s shows from the porch crusher. It's a decade I haven't explored in super-great detail and have found frustratingly hit or miss (at least the official releases), but I've been pleasantly surprised by the 80-83 Trips. Back in the saddle later this afternoon with the 84 show.

19. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

5/17/78 SiriusXM

wavethatflag, Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  20. bzfgt

Hmmm.....I might stop doing the "whole year" thing and try to hit highlights instead. Not that the stuff I'm at right now isn't fun to listen to all of it. Rather, I get too obsessive, and try to power through everything in a short amount of time....on the other hand, if I stop doing this I might get too lax....

21. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

6/14/87

I'll finish the short review Ventura weekend. This show (maybe mentioned before) has a couple of bizarre things. One is that the band got somewhat booed for taking the stage. It was the last game of the Lakers/Celtics championship and it was broadcast over the PA. With about 4 minutes left in the game, it was time for the 1st set.......lots of groans when the game was shut off :D. Also, Healy was at it again sampling (or singing) The Monkees theme song........right at the end of drums before space started. (The SBD showed he also inserted it at the end of "Playin' In The Band" right before it went into "Terrapin Station".....but I didn't hear it at the time.) This will probably make 6/14/87 one of @Guy Smiley 's favorite Grateful Dead shows.

The 2nd set is very good........Monkees or not.

Ventura was a good time, but the band upped the ante the next weekend.

22. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Forgot to post the setlist.

6/14/87

Hell In A Bucket->Sugaree, Tons Of Steel, Ramble On Rose, Me And My Uncle->Mexicali Blues, Althea, Feel Like A Stranger, Might As Well

Scarlet Begonias->Fire On The Mountain, Playing In The Band->Terrapin Station->Drums->Hey Hey We're The Monkees->Space->Truckin'->Wharf Rat->Throwing Stones->Not Fade Away

Encore:
    The Mighty Quinn

24. bzfgt

I don't know why I feel like I need to announce this, I almost feel like I need permission! Last summer i listened to half of 1972, all of 1973, all of 1968, and a couple months of 1969....this is insane behavior. I mean, it was great, but I have a lot more work this summer, and 1969 is eating me alive, I keep obsessively trying to get three shows a day in...plus I am jonesing for other eras....and I realize I'm not enjoying it as much as I should...

Anyone has any shows from 1969 and 1970 they think I need to listen to, I am going to hit some highlights rather than do the whole years...

25. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Having posted this >2 hours ago and getting no likes, I'm wondering if these photos of the 4/1/80 Promised Land (linked from LL) show up or not for folks not logged on to LL? I'm not fishing for likes (and definitely not Phishing), just wondering.

wavethatflag, US Blues and bzfgt like this.