The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I'm kidding of course, do what you want. It took me about a year to do all of 69, there are a lot of shows, and though there are some great ones, the setlist variation is probably at an all-time low. So I took a lot of days off and/or mixed in other stuff, including this:
    When I first heard this back in 2016 or so the AUD was the only source available, but since then there's a complete Charlie Miller SBD that's made the rounds, maybe I will listen to the matrix next time around.

bzfgt, US Blues and Crazy Otto like this.
  2. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

It's for sure worth your time...one of the best matrixes (matrices?) I've ever heard. The crowd and room are there, but not in a heavy-handed way or overly intrusive way.

3. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

I listened to the second set of 11/14/73 again last night, and the sequence really clicked with me. One thing I noticed is how the Wharf Rat is a little faster and more energetic than normal, rather than being the coda to an apocalyptic long jam.

4. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

5. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The SBD of that show circulated on cassette back in the 90's. :agree:

6. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

So I'm guessing the Playing in the Band reprise on 10/12/84 picks up from a performance of the "song" portion on 10/11? That's kinda fun. I was listening to the post-Drums bit from 10/12 last night, and that protracted intro to the Playing reprise was great. Really enjoyed that whole second set, actually. First set wasn't bad, either, even if it was pretty short. Not sure I've heard an electric On the Road Again from the 80s before, and apparently this was their last performance of this song.

Another fine 30 Trips show! I continue to be impressed with the picks for this box.

7. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I first taped 6/28/74 off GDH. Played very often.

mgb70, Crispy Rob, US Blues and 3 others like this.
  8. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Random question that I figured some folks around here might be able to help with... when you search for "grateful dead shirts" on the ol' interweb, you get a lot of hits... but it's hard to distinguish the quality ones from the fly-by-night, cheap t-shirt makers. Are there any Dead shirt makers you recommend?

Matthew Tate and changeling69 like this.
  9. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Liquid Blue

10. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I was listening to the Miller SBD, sounds fantastic.

US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  11. bzfgt

Nope

12. birdstrike

birdstrike Flyin’ High

Listening to March 28, '73, Tobin Matrix

Now up: Dark Star

13. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Was it the whole thing? I wonder why it wasn't available on the Archive, I just checked again and except for the AUD, all the sources now on the archive were added in 2017 or later.

US Blues and bzfgt like this.
  14. bzfgt

Yeah, the main problem is how obsessive I get with it. Last summer was the peak of that, I put a lot of other stuff aside. Mainly I realized that as great as last summer was, I was not enjoying that approach this year. It isn't that I wasn't enjoying the shows, more just the whole trip.

True though that 1969 might require a more measured approach...I just don't know if I have such an approach in me...

johnnypaddock and KCWhistle like this.
  15. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

I always jump between years...I have a hard time listening to more than 3 or 4 shows in a row from the same year, especially if I'm in a Dead-only phase. It all starts to sound a bit same-y to me after that. That is objectively untrue, of course, but that is my subjective experience. Fortunately the GD are the perfect band for era-hopping.

frightwigwam, adamos, SJR and 6 others like this.
  16. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

Finally reached 5/26/72 on this time (7th? I dunno) through the Europe '72 box. No big Pigpen tune; just Charlie, The Stranger, and Chinatown (and I guess that one must've been his last vocals with the band). It seems like the audience-prompted NFA>road>NFA took the place of a big Pigpen song since the show is still 3:45 long. I listened for 2 hours this morning and didn't even get to the second set--that's a long show.

17. birdstrike

birdstrike Flyin’ High

Hold up. The Eyes from 3/28/73 is incredible. I know people like the Dark Star. So do I. But this Eyes....geezus. Underrated, I say. Positively underrated.

Listen to the WRS>Dark Star>Eyes>PITB, because it's incredible, but do not sleep on this Eyes. It's as good as anything Sir Jerry and the boys had ever done.

ARK, Jerfan13, Billy_Sunday and 11 others like this.
  18. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Yup, that was my second ever Dave's Pick and the one that cemented me as a huge fan of the series. That third disc still stands up as one of the best single discs of the entire run so far.

19. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

The end of Set 1 is totally epic. Not quite on the same level as 2-26-77, but close. This was one of the last times (as far as I can recall) the Dead would stretch out that much in the first set.

20. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

My friend (and bass player):
    Jupiter55

21. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

If you're looking for tie-dyes, my old friend Nick makes great ones: Nick's Pick's Artisan Tie-dyes by NicksPicksDyes

22. birdstrike

birdstrike Flyin’ High

[​IMG]

3/28/73 Civic Center, Springfield, cont'd

The Cumberland opener is straight fire. It's no my favorite Dead song, but Jerry just torches this one. I can't take my brain off his virtuoso-guitar soloing, on this one.

Box of Rain: Nothing beats the studio version of this song and the live versions seem to get worse and worse as the years go by. But this one is on point.

You Ain't Woman Enough- Rare Donna country cover, which is actually a little funny, but I like it. I'm not a huge country fan, but Donna pulls this one off, nicely. I kept envisioning Beyonce telling some ho trying to hit on Jay-Z, "Don't touch my man!" when listening to this while running in my neighborhood, I have no idea why :laugh:. I think she could have shined more on some rock leads, if ever given the chance.

China>Rider: Once again, a scorching version from the bands peak years. Jerry's guitar phrasing seems a little weird here (planned or mistakes?) which makes it unique for me. A little quirky, but I like this one. Want a hard job? Find a China>Rider I won't like.

Playin' In The Band- Oh, yes. PITB. This version is badass and this WRS>DS>Eyes>Playin' is a classic. I'm probably telling you something you don't already know. But if I am, listen to this sh!t!

Honorable mention: Stella Blue. I don't think this song has yet had it's due. Timeless song. Solid version.

The Tobin Matrix has a nice balance. The Charlie Miller SBD is also good, as usual.

No doubt about it, this is a good show (WRS>DS>Eyes>PITB!)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    ARK, Jamcoy, mgb70 and 10 others like this.
  23. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Y'all should hear the new podcast re Europe. Hunter's London story is in there.

24. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Perhaps Dave L. is better at his job than he gets credit for, especially around here.

25. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Oh yes.