The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I think he's doing a fine job. Almost exactly perfect, which is the GD way.

adamos, Matthew Tate, bzfgt and 5 others like this.
  2. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I think Dave L does a tremendous job and he still, somehow, remains underrated. He gets an unfair amount of poop flung his way and it drives me crazy. Folks pretend like he's the only decision maker in what gets released and seem to attack him (esp on Twitter) for not releasing the "right" shows or whatever. Obviously there are nits we can pick about the archival stuff (uncredited patches from other shows, bizarre mixing decisions. etc.) but I don't think we'd avoid those no matter who was in the nominal archivist seat. Also, for all the crap he takes, his public face is remarkably upbeat and he is still willing to engage with fans on multiple fronts. I could just as easily see someone in his position walling himself off from the fans and criticism, but that's not in Dave's nature.

We can fairly quibble about some decisions, but let's all be grateful that this stuff is in his hands. Watching other artists deal with their legacy.... trust me, it could be a lot worse.

ARK, Jimbobwe, WaterLemon and 19 others like this.
  3. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Can't wait to hear the picks he's saving for 2045.
    [​IMG]

ARK, Matthew Tate, profusion and 4 others like this.
  4. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I sometimes wonder how much critical listening is done. That's not a fun experience after a very short time.

frightwigwam likes this.
  5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Happened plenty of times in the Latvala years.

ARK, adamos, track11 and 4 others like this.
  6. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

10/10/76 Dancin'>Wharf Rat>Dancin'

That second ">" is really something. How can you pull off a seamless transition between these two songs which are as different as chalk and cheese? They nailed it.

6/16/74 Eyes>Big River

This Eyes is overlooked by me in favor of 6/18, and with good reason, but if 6/18 is a 10, 6/16 is a 9.8. Dayum.

For $700, shouldn't we be?

Dave's Picks 36 continues to be a sore spot with me, since I apparently have a different definition for the word "special", but it's helpful to consider what we'd have if Experience Hendrix was running this show.:help:

budwhite, adamos, SJR and 7 others like this.
  7. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

I pretty much agree. There will always be quibbles about the merits of any given show, no matter who's releasing what. Like David Gans once said, it's a thing in the real world, but very much in the Deadhead world, that no matter what you do, someone will think you F'd up. As for merits, for every Boulder 81, there's stuff like 11/17/73 and 3/28/73, two of the best that were in need of upgrades. Maybe there have been too many 78's, but I can't complain about great stuff like 7/1/78, or that 4/22/78 Wharf Rat. And, there's still a ton of great stuff just sitting there, stuff like 5/12/74, 6/4/78, and 10/17/90 (energy wise, this show is 9/20/90 masquerading as a German border guard)

There are some things I think they should/could be doing better.......like digital downloads of releases at competitive package free pricing, lossless digital downloads of random and interesting comps, single tracks, oddities, etc.

p.s. Dave nailed his 1983 pick
    for 1981, I would have gone with 9/26/81 Buffalo

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  8. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

So far, I have only picked up the 78 trip. The 76 choice gave me a chuckle. The rest...

9. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

By decree, the word "underrated" is hereby banned from this thread.

Nobody ever "underrated" the Eyes from Springfield. If you need to ask, just say "hey @US Blues, how's the Eyes from Springfield?" And you get a fully poetic answer about how amazing it is.

Nothing has ever been underrated in the age of digital GD collecting. Certainly there's a bunch of stuff that has been grossly overrated, but I'll save that f0r another post.

MorningDew, jmadad, Zafu and 4 others like this.
  10. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

I think that's the hope, but it's hardly a given, particularly considering the scope of that project. 30 Trips strikes me as being a way more ambitious project than basically anything else they've done, and there were countless ways in which it could've been botched. All I'm saying is that I've really enjoyed all the shows I've listened to so far, and maybe my response is being colored by a lack of familiarity with many of the years represented, but that's where I'm coming from.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  11. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That one consistently topped polls of the best shows of '84 in Deadbase back in the day. A great audience recording - I believe by the Oade brothers - was in wide circulation. I got my copy in '87 or '88.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  12. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

I come to this from an interesting perspective, because I wasn't there in the tape-trading days and enter into the fray at a time when you can stream every single board tape on Relisten at your leisure, often in multiple excellent masterings. It makes the purchasing decision quite different than normal. Also, I'm quite amazed at how quickly all these releases sell out. That doesn't happen anywhere else.

Dave is in a tough position, because he has to space out releases with an eye to keep the lucrative GD product pipeline going for many more years, and yet everyone has their favorite unreleased shows that they think should be next in line. And, of course, he has to deal with the lower production standard of the '80s and '90s board tapes. There's no way around that, really. On top of all that, his bosses at Rhino have budgets to consider.

The one thing I wish Rhino would reconsider is not revisiting shows that were extracted for early archival releases. I wonder whether there are licensing/contractual reasons for that, because otherwise Rhino could simply stop licensing Dick's Picks to Real Gone and remove them from digital platforms in favor of "new and improved" releases that include the whole shows in better sonics.

13. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Yes…….almost perfect.

Only mistake against him is lack of 1985 releases.

14. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Boulder 81 is a good pick

15. bzfgt

except Boulder 81

16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I like it okay, but I think 12/5/81 Indianapolis is at least as good. Worth checking out if you like the Boulder show and want to hear another one in close proximity.

fritz7784, US Blues and bzfgt like this.
  17. bzfgt

Lots of shows from 81 in general just as good or better, too of course. Still a good show.

18. birdstrike

birdstrike Flyin’ High

"Underrated" is the poor man's "best ever." I'm a flagrant violator.

19. US Blues

I shall grant you dispensation. :tiphat:

ianuaditis, birdstrike and bzfgt like this.
  20. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

Oh, very interesting. I need to work Deadbase and the Taper's Compendiums into my process. I never think to refer to those after listening to something. Or before listening to something, for that matter. I really am enjoying these 80s shows more than I anticipated, and feel like it's easy to see why they were picked.

Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  21. US Blues

This points to the Great Dilemma. Listening to a show at home, in a moving vehicle, while exercising, and so forth, is in no way comparable to being in the venue during the show.

In regards to Boulder '81 I know people who were in the building that night, seasoned veterans of GD shows, and they loved the show. It's a period show, late '81, not E72 or Autumn '73, you get what you get- the arena rock band raising the roof on an intimate basketball arena on the CU Campus in Boulder. People were high at this show, and it shows.

22. bzfgt

Sounds pretty good on tape too

23. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

6/15/76 on the headphones this afternoon.

One of my all-time favourite sequences, St. Stephen > Not Fade Away > Stella Blue

You can hear the crowd roar on the official release as they drop into St. Stephen, Jerry plays St. Stephen like his hair is on fire.

24. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

It's been a few years since I first asked and still can't find that show I heard years ago on tape where Drums>Space featured an intense "Missile Command" sample that caused us to dub it the "Nuclear War" drums at the time. Does this jog any memories around here? I'd love to track this show down, have done some digging too but to no avail. I'm quite sure it was in the mid-eighties.

wavethatflag likes this.
  25. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

I will continue my quest to discover what is good about that show. Sometimes they just hit me from sideways. Once the post drums segment of 9/3/80 Springfield did just that....knocked me upside the head. And the simple beauty of the 10/31/71 Dark Star.