SH Spotlight DCCs Cream "Wheels of Fire" 24kt Gold question/Steve's "Adventures In Mastering"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by proufo, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Steve, THANKS! That's really important pertinent information, as now the 2nd pressing is even more desirable! Darn, I want that 2nd pressing!!! :laugh: Gotta have it...:sigh:

2. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Steve, two things:

1) Why were they so ticked about the ATCO logo

(NOTE: One of my favorite things about the DCC discs (aside from the music) were the graphics of the original LP labels. THAT was cool!)

2) How did the bonus tracks come to be on the US pressing only. Did you go back and add those later?

THanks

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Why was PolyGram mad about us using another label's logo on the album? Especially a label that no longer had control of the music? Well, I'll leave it to your imagination. On their CD they used the original British artwork, but I figured here in America the ORIGINAL ART was the ORIGINAL ART and that had the ATCO logo on it!

I made TWO digital master tapes of WHEELS OF FIRE. Both had those bonus tracks on them. It was decided not to use them so I ERASED the songs from the tape that went to Japan. When production came back to the USA, WHEELS OF FIRE still had plenty of Japanese inventory left over, enough to last for years and years. When it finally came time to do a repress, the production person grabbed the second master instead of the first and sent it to the factory. Oops!

4. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Doesn't the Japanese version include "Anyone For Tennis?" as a bonus track? I am watching for a good made in USA copy on eBay, and I saw the DCC listed but it didn't specify where it was made. I e-mailed the seller and he responded the discs are made in Japan, but AFT was on there.

:confused:

5. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

Yes, I have the Japanese version and Anyone for Tennis is on there.

6. Steve Hoffman

Tennis is on all copies.

I'm talking about the HIDDEN bonus tracks.

7. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

After getting my copy on eBay (maybe the best $50.00 I've ever spent!),
    I was blown away. This album has always been one my personal favorites.

I expected it to sound good since Steve's name is attached to it but I did not expect it to sound THAT good. Wow. Stunning may be an overused word but it is appropriate here. "Deserted Cities Of The Heart" nearly caused me some heart palpitations:laugh:

Just spectacular. Thank you Steve for your labor of love.

All Down The Line likes this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Someone please post a bonus track listing on The Japan and US Pressings...Thanks!

All Down The Line likes this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

You're welcome!

I remember when we got the test discs back from Japan and Marshall was playing Deserted Cities Of The Heart in his office really loud and I was sitting across the hall in my office also listening. When the big old solo came on in the middle of the song I knew Marshall's stereo was going to explode or something (being a solid state Circuit City $200.00 special) and so I waited for it. Well, it didn't explode, but HE did, with a yell, being greatly impressed by that dynamic middle section with all of the clanging.

Marshall then played the Polydor CD version of the same song for comparison, came over to my office and without a word shook my hand. The DCC 24 Karat Gold years had begun. A great day!

ropiyas, McLover, Ere and 15 others like this.
  10. Claus

Claus Senior Member

One of the most interesting threads... I've read in the last weeks. Thx Steve for your sharing your memories!

GerryO likes this.
  11. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Great old thread. I headed over to eBay, got lucky and picked up WOF DCC Japanese for $40 and DG MFSL for $35. I have WOF MFSL and early 80's UK vinyl, and DG early 80's UK vinyl. Looking forward to compare versions.

12. Steve Hoffman

Reopened by special request.

Sean, All Down The Line and GerryO like this.
  13. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

That Passing The Time extra section is worth the price of admission alone. Do you have any remembrances of working on that track?

14. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, it was even longer, after the long jam and the reprise of the slow verses it actually went back into the fast "Passing The Time" part again and then faded out. I felt that it was too much of a good thing.

I actually think now that the elongated jam section was supposed to fade out at some point like the final version but I wasn't sure so I left it long with the cold ending.

Norbert Becker likes this.
  15. Steve Hoffman

That was a great moment. 1992, seems like a lifetime ago now.

16. Steve Hoffman

That was a good day.

TongueDruid and dsdu like this.
  17. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

I still love blasting your Wheels Of Fire mastering.

Dignan2000 and Tom34772 like this.
  18. Steve Hoffman

I did it this morning in the car.

19. goodboyfred

I would put it on now but the dog is sleeping again!

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  20. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

Damn
    A cheapskate Brit now on the look out for the remastered WoF to add to the vinyl and CD I already have
    and probably lots more

21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Still my favorite quote from a 2009 thread :

22. Steve Hoffman

I miss that company (Superior Disk Of Japan). Never have I experienced such perfection in manufacturing. Truly the best of the best.

23. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Talking about CD manufacturing perfection? You know you upset a lot of people now :D

Great thread!

24. goodboyfred

I still have the long box that came with the discs. A thing of beauty.

25. Steve Hoffman

The longbox? Yes, manufactured from the foil product of the same company that made the covers back in 1968.

crispi, Jon H., GerryO and 1 other person like this.