The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I don’t know what you mean by Missile Command but City Island, Harrisburg 6/22/83 has a Three Mile Island-inspired Space.

budwhite, ARK, rockinlazys and 5 others like this.
  2. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

This morning’s listening is (half of) Road Trips Vol. 2 No. 3: Wall Of Sound — State Fairgrounds, Des Moines, IA, 16/06/74.

Now this is primo-1974; an absolutely fantastic, first-rate release and one of my favourites from the entire Road Trips series. I just love the whole vibe, here.

Across the 3CD set there’s some phenomenal highlights from all three sets, though it’s definitely worth hearing the whole show in all its super-jammy glory.

1st Set:
    • China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider — a remarkable, super-groovin’ beast; this is one massively epic, jazzy and funky all-timer contender. It’s totally enthralling and utterly marvellous, with a magical transition jam—a stone-cold masterpiece;
    (The whole) 2nd Set:
    • U.S. Blues — opening the 2nd set is this powerfully energetic rocker, with some wicked jamming highlighting exceptional band interplay;
    • The Race Is On — Keith’s keys are the wonderful highlight, here. It’s a crazy rockin’ hoedown;
    • Eyes Of The World > Big River — a clean and tight, jazzy-tinged, mega-jammy epic Eyes (check out the phenomenon that is Billy, on drums—just wow) > with a jaw-dropping, wildly thrilling transition (that is so funky, reminiscent of some of Miles’ fusion work—it’s so damn sublime; it’s pure killer) into a rippin’ Big River;
    • Playing In The Band — a monster 29-minute PITB that starts out as normal before taking a turn to the dark side and into some incredible deep-space exploration, it’s free-form and it’s avant—and it’s not for the faint-of-heart; featuring weird “out there” squelchy bleeps and electronic sounds (courtesy of Ned Lagin?) and an unsettling, darkly intense meltdown freak-out before steering back into the main theme and reprise; constantly evolving and keeping things interesting, this is highly fascinating and completely mesmerising—a top version.
    (The bulk of the) 3rd Set:
    • Deal — spritely and bouncy, this rollicking Deal is goin’ down good—diggin’ the Fender Rhodes embellishments from Keith, and Jerry’s lengthy soloing;
    • Greatest Story Ever Told — an insanely passionate, off-the-charts blazing hot scorcher, with scintillating soloing and tight-as-a-duck’s-ass groove. A real “bobby-dazzler”;
    • Truckin’ > Nobody’s Fault But Mine Jam > Wharf Rat > Goin’ Down The Road Feeling Bad — an incredibly bluesy, and at times jazzy, outrageously wailing mega-jam that’s right-in-the-pocket with a soulful, soaring Wharf Rat slap-bang at the heart of the sequence.
    It’s like, totally essential, man. Transcendental—especially with the Bonus Disc material. Oh, and they do it all again, arguably even better, a couple of days later! F u c k me.

I: Bertha, Mexicali Blues, Row Jimmy, Beat It On Down The Line, Scarlet Begonias, Black-Throated Wind, Sugaree, El Paso, It Must Have Been The Roses, Jack Straw, China Cat Sunflower* > I Know You Rider*, Around And Around.

II: U.S. Blues*, The Race Is On*, Eyes Of The World* > Big River*, Playing In The Band*.

III: Tennessee Jed, Me And My Uncle, Deal**, Greatest Story Ever Told**, Ship Of Fools, Truckin’** > Nobody’s Fault But Mine Jam** > Wharf Rat** > Goin’ Down The Road Feeling Bad**.

E: Casey Jones.

*on RT 2.3.
    **on RT 2.3. Bonus Disc.

[​IMG]
    1974/2009 Grateful Dead Records ‎– GRA2-6007

laf848, budwhite, mBen989 and 22 others like this.
  3. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

9/12/93 Spectrum's space has some missiles and air raid sirens in it.

I've mentioned it before here as a favorite latter year space segment.

budwhite, ARK, Jerfan13 and 7 others like this.
  4. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Probably already mentioned, but if not: Laguna Seca Raceway in both 1987 and 1988. I was at the '88 shows. Shows 2, 3 and 4 for me, they were. Camped onsite, was never the same after that weekend. I had become a bonafide Dead Head.

5. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Start with China>Rider, that might could help

notesofachord and US Blues like this.
  6. Billy_Sunday

12/8/90 has some pretty 'apocalypse now' type bombs-going-off stuff during 'drums'

budwhite, ARK, Jerfan13 and 4 others like this.
  7. Billy_Sunday

Mine was sandwiched between China & Rider. 2nd show. High Times!

8. Billy_Sunday

12/3 was pretty flat. 12/4 they recovered somewhat. By the time they got to Arizona for shows on the 9th and 10th they were rolling.

US Blues and Crispy Rob like this.
  9. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

ARK, Gollum, katstep and 6 others like this.
  10. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I was there both years. 88 was a phenomenal weekend with Los Lobos and David Lindley. And that PITB. 87 was just OK, but Uncle Bill made a stop in our campsite on Sunday morning as he made his morning rounds on a mini-bike. I was the only one awake that early. We exchanged good mornings and he was off.

11. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I think Dave could do a better job, and I agree completely that I am quibbling, and that as noted he has neither the first nor the last say in what is released when. So like many others here I'm sure I could do a better job in theory, although probably not in practice.

budwhite, ARK, adamos and 10 others like this.
  12. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Totally. The highlight is when Bobby announces the set break while they are still playing I Know You Rider. Pure, classy show business right there.

:D

Six Bachelors, SJR, scribbs and 2 others like this.
  13. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

But it wasn't until they got to Denver on the 12th that the Dark Star poured its light into ashes.

14. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

But, but, it's not from 1985! :p

notesofachord and bzfgt like this.
  15. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I enthusiastically support this ban, and propose a codicil that would also brutally suppress the idiom “an unfair amount of poop flung his way” as a way to describe “unjustified criticism.”

16. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Now listening to 6/14/84[Red Rocks]on TIGDH on SiriusXM's Grateful Dead channel via the webstream now playing Playing In The Band

17. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

[​IMG]

18. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

This is undeniably true as I didn't go to any early 80s shows and yet I think Lost Sailor (almost) always sounds great.

19. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Stone Turntable likes this.
  20. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain Forum Resident

The true obsessive would listen to each show twice...to make sure you didn't miss any notes. :D

21. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

This has to be one of my top shelf shows of 1974, the thrills are too numerous to name or count.
    My first time listening to this had me so freaked out by the second disc, I had to stop. lol
    Not too many spins that I can say that about, maybe it was the sunflower seeds and ginger ale.

NP... the complete second set of Missoula 5-14-74, just a few weeks later.
    After spinning El Paso again, it gets a little more love, Keith is on fire, his
    playing throughout is terrific, actually, US Blues great again too. With a
    fierce storms on the horizon, coming through most any time, Weather Report Suite
    and Dark Star should fittingly have me mesmerized by not only the notes, but the
    furious elements.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  22. bzfgt

Don't think I haven't thought of that

23. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

One of these years I'll find it and you'll know that in fact I AM totally nuts!

Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  24. bzfgt

Notes, some from last year...I downgraded a few things since then, though....(chair thing)

1969-04-23 Ark Miller sbd 88501 Introduced as “The best f**cking rock and roll band in the world!” so of course they open with He Was a Friend of Mine; good guitar, rather bad singing. **Dark Star** Garcia blows, the 69 sound, all is good. St. Stephen>It’s a Sin>St. Stephen again; “It’s a Sin” sung somewhat badly by Garcia, again good guitar though, then back to SS>Cryptical. Other One maybe slightly disjointed at times, but spirited; at 4:34 a rolling passage after a build, then from 4:39 to 4:57 Garcia repeats a high note, very intense, then “falls” off so to speak. **Morning Dew** opens 2nd set, hits a nice peak on 2nd solo break. **Doin that Rag** Jerry’s bad vocals are good; leaves out the hipsters/chicksters. Alligator jam is very short, but they work it in in a 17-minute **The Eleven** that goes all over; it starts drifting away from The Eleven, gets to Mtn. Jam hints at 10:15…AWBYG jam at 11:15; full Mtn Jam at 12:30 after a very dramatic build-up! Many dramatic moments….13:50 to 14:15 is positively histrionic! This could fairly be tracked 11>jam as they never get back to it, but go into a hot **Caution** **Feedback** very melodic and/or tonal, compare 11-08. A relatively complete **AWBYG**.

EDIT: all the references to bad singing were in the original though, so I'm consistent there

25. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

My fav of the Ark run is 4/22 by a country mile.

Release the Ark box already!!!

I'm not getting any younger ya know!

ARK, ducksdeluxe, Gary C and 8 others like this.