Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Randy Lane

Randy Lane Forum Resident

Regarding the Mercury Masters box:

I own most of the box as content of the three Mercury Living Presence cubes, and owned many as individual MLP releases before that.

The recordings and performances are all cream-of-the-crop, even though some be mono.

And with Tom Fine (son of the legendary Wilma Cozart Fine, co-producer of the original recordings) in charge of the both audio (remastering) and documentation this is a no brainer. You cannot go wrong.

Regarding the Decca box:

I own everything already, either in prior Decca Legends, Eloquence, or Tower Japan releases. All are very good to excellent recordings but not quite as special as the MLP stuff. I did not order the Decca box, but I would not hesitate to do so if I did not already own all or many of the recordings.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  2. bruckner13

bruckner13 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Muti's box already shipped. Fingers crossed and it will arrive in mint condition.

trix, Runicen, Robur and 4 others like this.
  3. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

Without me doing anything, although I was trying hard, the payment got processed and now my order says it will be delivered on the 18th and is waiting to be shipped with DHL.
    67€ and change for me too, while it originally was 69€.

Robur and sambamaster like this.
  4. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

Mine has been sent too, DHL shipping so it should be pretty quick and in good condition.

I'll be interested to see if it's double boxed or not.

Robur likes this.
  5. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

So im searching Ebay and whatnot and kicking myself for not getting into classical a couple years ago when these sets were dirt cheap and now costing hundreds upon hundreds, if not nearing a grand now.

Any explanation as to why these habe jumped up in price and scarcity? Is there a classical cd box boom coinciding with the vinyl resurgence?

also, why dont some of these get repressed? Like the Julian Bream box is at minimum $500 used, why wont they reissue it?

Martinu and Robur like this.
  6. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector Thread Starter

This is one of my all-time favorites. I remember that I listened through this box while reading Jan Swafford’s excellent Brahms biography. Both are highly recommended.

trix and Aslak like this.
  7. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector Thread Starter

Reply fail, meant to quote the post about the DG Brahms box.

8. HistPerf

HistPerf Forum Resident

FNAC just sent shipping notification for the Muti box - In my case, EUR 65.16 to the US, also via DHL.

Robur likes this.
  9. HistPerf

HistPerf Forum Resident

The "documentary" discs in the Bruno Walter box are a somewhat different story than the documentary discs included in most other boxes. With the possible exception of Disc 77, these were all released on LP back in the 1950s and early 1960s, and can therefore be considered a legitimate part of his "complete" Columbia recordings. For the most part, they consist of rehearsal recordings and interviews with Walter, rather than interviews with other people talking about Walther.

Carlos Bejeeber likes this.
  10. Ben in Colorado

Ben in Colorado Forum Resident

I do like those rehearsal discs. I think it’s really fun to hear the conductor work with the orchestra. And Bruno’s voice is so soothing. I listen to them on headphones while I fall asleep.

11. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Are they not all mono? I thought that was the MLP USP. I'm happy with good quality mono in boxes. I find that historic recordings can be very variable in sound quality, but I'm reassured by your comments.

12. J Luc

J Luc Forum Resident

I also received the shipping notice and DHL Express tracking information from FNAC early this morning with an estimated delivery date of 21 June 2021 to California. That would be amazing considering the cost. Fingers crossed on delivery and packaging.

I still had an active order with Amazon France which I cancelled first thing this morning.

Much thanks to forum member Pigalle for posting the FNAC listing!

albelTW, Robur and RiRiIII like this.
  13. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

CONGRATS to all of you who scored that Muti box at the fantastic price. I'm having "non buyers" regret now for not pulling the trigger when I had the chance.

croquetlawns likes this.
  14. Robur

Robur Paperback Writer

La même chose ici! ;)

€52,49!

[​IMG]

Swordsandchains likes this.
  15. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Guess we have to start watching FNAC for more deals, damn

password196, Robur and croquetlawns like this.
  16. zarzuela

zarzuela Forum Resident

Was thinking the same thing. Watch it like hawks.

You're lucky Amazon didn't ship first.

Robur and albelTW like this.
  17. arley

arley Forum Resident

While checking out this box at jpc.de I saw an ad for another not-quite-mega box, 21 CDs of music for cello and piano with Yo-Yo Ma and Emanual Ax. It has been marked down from eur 39.99 to eur 19.99. Sounds interesting, and it's less than one euro per disc:

vhttps://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/a-celebration-box-set/hnum/9027665

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    croquetlawns likes this.
  18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Never expected to see that here. All those books by Delacorta are good reads.

'As You Know' Bob, arley and SeeDubs like this.
  19. arley

arley Forum Resident

I like that movie as well; one reviewer referred to it as 'a popcorn movie for intellectuals.'

20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

The movie was good. As usual I prefered the novel!

21. caserjo

caserjo Active Member

I also have Muti's order for delivery on June 18. I hope to enjoy with this box.

Robur likes this.
  22. ssstand

ssstand Forum Resident

I wouldn't beat yourself up--there are still a bounty of riches available and I would concentrate on purchasing what is available now at a reasonable price.

I have over 6,000 CDs. That is too many. I will not live long enough to listen to them all, and storing them is a pain. When the mega boxes first came out, it was astonishing how low they were priced. I remember when the Arthur Rubinstein box was first released in the early 1990s--it had a list price of $1,600! So when an even bigger Rubinstein box came out about 10 years ago, in a better box with a lovely booklet, for under $200, it was astonishing. So we all ran to buy them (I paid less than $100 for mine).

There were a variety of factors leading to the low prices. The Great Recession. The fact that the Big Five record companies (now the Big Three) were in flux and trying to make their sales appear as high as possible. And the fact that I don't think the record companies knew where to price them.

But those days are gone. That being said, terrific bargains are still available. Interested in pianists? The Gould box or the Casedesus box would be a great start. Want to explore orchestral music? Try the Ormandy, Walter, or Bernstein boxes. I doubt the idiots asking $900 for some of these boxes find many takers at that price--trust me, there is no market for classical CDs. If you doubt what I say, try to sell some on E-bay or at one of the remaining record stores. I have heard people say they can't give them away at yard sales. Focus on what you want and enjoy it.

Runicen, croquetlawns, Robur and 3 others like this.
  23. bruckner13

bruckner13 Forum Resident

Ivory-Plated Past and Robur like this.
  24. zarzuela

zarzuela Forum Resident

Wise words. The labels must be doing something right -- I stopped buying CDs years ago, but they lured me back with the big boxes. They're just too tempting in every respect. I also missed out on the early bargains, but the boxes coming out now are still a great deal. Swordandchains, look at all the ones still available in addition to the ones ssstand mentioned: Abbado, Barbirolli, Celibidache, Chailly, Cluytens, Kubelik, Mehta, Previn, etc.

25. zarzuela

zarzuela Forum Resident

...and Muti, fresh out of the gate.

Robur likes this.