10% Off at Importcds.

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by George P, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Thanks for the heads up.

NOTE: applies to in-stock items ONLY!

2. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

yep, ImportCDs and Deep Discount changed that at the beginning of the year, pretty annoying

ARK likes this.
  3. I'm not going to fault ImportCDs.

Yes, it would be nice to get "product" for next to nothing, but they discount (sometimes in a big way) most of their stuff to begin with. An additional 10 % would be cool for big box listings (especially of pre-order items), but I'm satisfied with them to even offer that 10% of existing product.

The shipping aspect sometimes leaves much to be desired (In my experience, they don't often ship out until the release date - possibly even after - of pre-ordered stock). You may have to wait to receive your items. If you HAVE to have your choice(s) on, or a the day after, the release ... there are other (more expensive) avenues to seek out.

I'm very patient - I'll go without having something on "release day" if it saves me $$$.

ARK likes this.
  4. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

The fact that they charge shipping on everything kind of eats up most of the savings, unless it's a big box item.

I suspect they're keeping the recent POB and Sell Out box sets "out of stock" to keep people from buying them with these discounts.

Their prerogative of course; they've got to make money. But there was barely anything I found worthwhile ordering this sale.

5. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Can you see my shopping cart? :D

ARK and Marvin like this.
  6. I understand what you are saying. I've learned that, often, they take pre-orders to kind of gauge how much they should acquire of a certain item.

Yes ... they may not replenish any stock past pre-orders in a timely manner ... if at all.

7. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I was able to use that coupon for the Black Sabbath Sabotage boxset which they already had a great price on (about $20 less than Amazon) a day prior to the release date - I wasn't sure if it was going to work or not but it did. Not a huge savings (their price was like $29.80 IIRC) but that discount ended up giving me free shipping which is always a nice "victory" in a way.

Mordax and DarkSideOfTheMoo like this.
  8. I read where you had been able to use the 10% off coupon. I was surprised that they opened up the Sabotage Deluxe CD package before the actual release date.

Very cool that you were able to purchase it at a further discount!

slipkid likes this.
  9. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Yeah this isn’t really them not replenishing—importCDs is owned by the same folks who own Deep Discount and Pop Market and a few other spots, which is Alliance Distribution. In other words, one of the largest distributors of entertainment media in the world. If they don’t have something, it’s because it isn’t around, not that they are picking and choosing items to save a few bucks.

If you really want to check to see though, check on the same titles on a few of their other sites. Chances are none of them have it in stock. If you saw, say, Pop Market has stock but importCDs doesn’t then I think you might be on to something but I am pretty doubtful. They are in the business of moving vast amount of product, period. I don’t think NOT selling things on purpose is at all in their best interest, discounts or not.

10. I understand your POV.

hutlock likes this.
  11. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Maybe, though Amazon has consistently had POB and Sell Out in stock. So it's not as if they're out of print.

12. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

No idea if it is coincidence, but Barnes & Noble had a rare 20% sale recently, and, since my wife is a B&N member, you can usually stack the 10% membership discount on top, but POB and Sell Out were out-of-stock during the sale, while POB for sure was back in stock straight after the sale!

13. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Of everything I'd like to order only 1 CD is actually in stock. And with the $5 base fee it's just not worth it. Their catalogue used to be a lot deeper, it seems.

Also, beware, as I've just clued in, that they charge the full amount on shipping when you place your order. If an item gets cancelled they don't automatically refund you unless you ask. Same for Deep Discount.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  14. slopduck

slopduck Forum Resident

Probably just a fluke, but I was comparing prices today on DD and ImportCD and I noticed that the title I was looking at was marked as "in stock" at ImportCDs but "backorder" at DD.

Unrelated, I noticed that unlike in the past DD was cheaper for most of the things I was comparing between the two. That's a first (in the past an occasional title was cheaper at DD, but on the whole ImportCD would be cheaper, even factoring in shipping) but across the board of the 10 or albums I checked, DD was nearly equal or cheaper on nearly all, add in the free shipping and DD came out far ahead of ImportCDs.

hutlock likes this.
  15. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Yeah, Pop Market tends to be slightly more expensive than DD as well, but they offer free shipping. DD on the other hand usually charges shipping on heavier items like box sets only and free shipping on anything else as long as you spend at least $25. And
    ImportCDs charges shipping on literally everything no matter how much you buy.

Anyway, point was that it is all technically the same company even though they clearly do business differently. It is generally speaking though safe to assume that they are all drawing from the same inventory stockpiles. Sometimes takes some time for one site or the other to catch up though.

16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

They charge upfront ONLY if you use paypal.

If you pay directly via a credit or debit card they don't take the money until it ships.

But yeah, if you use paypal, not only do they take the $$ when you order but if it gets canceled (which often happens months later) you then sometimes have to deal with their GODAWFUL (Deepdiscount's at least) customer service & fight fight fight & fight some more to get your money back.

17. Electric

That's what I thought but this is not quite true. Yes, they don't charge for the CDs until they ship, but they do charge shipping for everything up front. And then, I presume, they don't expect you to notice or ask for it back if an item gets cancelled. I never pay with PayPal. Always CC.

18. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yes, shipping is added on to every order no matter how you pay.

But it is not charged "up front". A merchant charging a fee "up front" means that that amount gets taken from your payment method when you place your order, which is ONLY true if you use paypal and also applies to the item cost as well. I think you are using the term "up front" incorrectly.

If you pay via a CC directly (without paypal) and your order gets canceled prior to shipping you will not get charged a single penny, item cost or shipping. If you are being charged "up front" using a CC whether it be item cost or shipping then I am mightily confused and can only guess it must work differently if buying from outside the USA (???). Or perhaps you are talking about ordering from their ebay store rather than from them directly (????).

19. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

No, I think shipping really is charged "up front". Not when the order is first submitted, but when the first item ships.

20. Electric

Yes, this is what I'm saying. I'm ordering right from their site; not eBay. Not only that but they are refunding the shipping back onto my CC, but only if I ask, and that means several email requests, or one phone call. I was told point blank that it is their policy to charge all shipping when you place your order. So, why don't they automatically refund the shipping when an item get cancelled? They won't say.

Marvin likes this.
  21. Electric

Here's what I just received from DeepDiscount. It's the same policy for ImportCDs, as they are the same company:

Thank you for contacting DeepDiscount.com!
    Hello
    Please note that the fee refund is not processed automatically. Please send an email to this email address for future reference.
    Again, thank you for writing DeepDiscount.com. We appreciate your business.
    Best regards,
    SC – DeepDiscount.com Customer Service Support
    [email protected]
    http://www.deepdiscount.com

My question to them was:

Hi again,
    It would seem that a customer would not automatically receive a refund from you on shipping for a cancelled item. Just so I know for next time, do you require a customer to request this each time?

^^^
    A little shady, IMO.

ARK likes this.
  22. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Ah, yes, interesting. I cannot remember if that has happened to me or not but makes sense since they add that cost to the entire order.

By "up front" I am talking about them taking your money b4 anything gets released etc. Like with preorders. If you pay via paypal then they take your money UP FRONT - right then - that is how the paypal process works - even though the item might not be released until 4 months later. If you pay by a CC though, you do not get charged until the item "ships" (when they get it in and it moves to the payment processing/shipment phase).

23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yes, I agree.

SHADY is the best way to describe how these companies operate btw. I am going through some MAJOR hassles with DeepDiscount (and ImportCDs) right now. Will probably never order from either of them again. Unfortunately since they are part of the same huge music distribution conglomerate (Alliance Entertainment/SuperD) I'm screwed as far as being able to buy things at their discounted rates. The only things these companies are good at are offering some savings here in the USA, at the cost of having the worst customer service on the planet & using shady business practices like you mentioned above.

I have a thread in the merchant forum that I need to update regarding a DD issue, which now has escalated also into an issue with ImportCDs as well. When I get time I am going to update the existing thread (receiving an empty shipping box in the mail from DeepDiscount with no product in it and my trials and tribulations in trying to get a replacement or my money back), and probably start a new one to warn people of the consequences of resorting to your credit card company to get your $$ back, things I did not know about until now that really suck....

Electric likes this.
  24. Electric

That sounds horrible. So far I've always managed to work things out with them but it's always been a struggle.

25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, pretty mindblowing. Have had probs with both companies in the past which I have always been able to get fixed after multiple contacts and wasting a lot of my time but what is going on now takes the cake. I need to update my other thread about that when I get time to warn people....and that complaining to your CC company has consequences which I did not know about, making this even MORE of a hassle...sigh..