Annoying Things On ' Their Satanic Majesties Request '

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jun 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

Was just reading the posts on the turning of mediocre albums into extended play versions.
    Someone suggested an EP for ' Their Satanic Majesties Request ' which included the fantastic ' She's A Rainbow ' but said the beginning part should be omitted.
    Yes. Never understood wtf that was supposed to be about.

' Their Satanic Majesties Request ' catches a lot of grief and rightly so. The chaff unfortunately outweighs the wheat.I like it for the most part but...

One thing I never liked which has annoyed me since the first time I heard this album over fifty years ago is that damn snoring on ' In Another Land '!

What are your peeves and beefs with it?

2. FredHubbard

FredHubbard Forum Resident

On With The Show is rubbish

3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

The snoring is kind of dopey (which I’m sure they were aware of) but it doesn’t bother me. I do get a bit impatient with the dragged out ending of Gomper. That intro on Rainbow reminds me of the race portion in MMT

4. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

It's a piss-take, through and through

Rob the Comic, Pentior, DTK and 9 others like this.
  5. The most annoying thing about this one-off masterwork to me is that they didn't do another psychedelic album after Satanic.

6. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

I Re-eval'ed the LP after the SACD came out.
    Now I like it on the whole...

... I dunno. It makes me feel like I need to take a
    lot of drugs to get on their level.

7. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

This is the only track on TSMR that I don't care for.

Otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing about the album. And yes, that includes the extended "Sing This All Together" and "Gomper." All of a piece with me.

A one-of-a-kind album that should be justly celebrated. Instead, it's pilloried by many because it "doesn't sound like The Stones." So what?

8. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

This is my favorite Stones album by a longshot. I've heard them all many times, but this one is the only one I still own. I think this album gets too much grief.

9. Cynthia Tebbetts

Cynthia Tebbetts Forum Resident

The only thing I don't like about this album is "Sing This All Together (See What Happens)" because absolutely nothing of interest happens

supernaut, Adam6437, bekayne and 11 others like this.
  10. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

That it's not longer/that there isn't more of it.

It's perfect otherwise.

11. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

They could have. This was a big album charting at #2 in Billboard. Shut out of the top slot by its evil twin ' Magical Mystery Tour '

a customer, MrJerry1876, lobo and 4 others like this.
  12. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The Sing This All Together jam reminds me of Interstellar Overdrive on Piper at the Gates of Dawn: perhaps a bridge too far on an otherwise great psychedelic album. Sometimes I do get bored during Sing This All Together, but the rest of the album is fantastic.

13. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Nothing - for me it is a masterpiece. Of it's time of course but no fault for that. Listened to loud on an all tube system and it is a wonderful event.

14. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

IIRC, the intro to She's A Rainbow was also on the UK Through a Glass Darkly

On with the Show is pure filler

15. 7solqs4iago

I enjoy and listen often, same with GHS

16. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

I dunno.. I like the intro to Rainbow.

17. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

The Beatles kissed the psychedelic era softly on the lips. The Stones pistol whipped it in the back alley, grabbed it's thin wallet and ran! I love the album!

18. RageRomano

RageRomano Idiot

I'm not super familiar with the album, but it's always annoyed me how much the cover looks like a blatant ripoff of Sgt Pepper. I'm sure there's some original ideas on the album (again I've never heard the whole thing) but I think that cover makes it way too obvious that they were pulling inspiration from The Beatles.

19. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

That they didn't go dark enough or strange enough on the album. There are lots of moments where it all comes together brilliantly, but they were too distracted by outside events to be truly focused.

It's still the most misunderstood album in their career. I think it's a brilliant failure.

a customer, mark_j, Davido and 3 others like this.
  20. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Seems like a pointless hater thread. Satanic Majesties is not without its flaws--I could do without the intro to "She's A Rainbow"--but I will always stick up for this misunderstood gem. I've even come around to embracing the "See What Happens" jam, a rare example of the Stones venturing into improvisational territory.
    The cover art was a bit of a tongue-in-cheek send up of Pepper, but don't judge the book by its cover. Although it's also psychedelic, Satanic Majesties has a darker, more raw flavor to it, more Piper than Pepper, imo. Give it a chance!

21. 7solqs4iago

it's a time capsule of that era, just as the White Album is for months later

Beatles wore it better

22. 7solqs4iago

at physio 2000 Man was playing on the office speakers.... i asked and learned staff brought in their own CD and this was contributed by someone who works there

that and 100 Years Ago (from GHS) are two of my favourite deep cuts, sorta the same kind of song

23. Bsimpson80

Bsimpson80 Active Member

I just bought a mint copy of this yesterday along with a few others that I became disappointed in (quality with the reissues, mostly). I’ve actually never heard it before but I’m excited to spin it and find out.

Acoustic Warrior likes this.
  24. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

These are my main two gripes with the album--two exceedingly weak tracks that close both sides. Everything else on the album I actually like quite a lot. It's the Stones mixing psych with blues and world music, even more so than Pepper does, and it's interesting.

I found a VG+ used vinyl copy with the holographic cover intact a few years back, and it sounds pretty great.

25. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

What I would do is cut back on the jams & songs like "Gomper" & add "Dandelion" & "We Love You" to make it a bit better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.