The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Yea, I think a live version of a song like this normally gets the bpm right up there... it's just an adrenaline thing.
    Certainly the studio version is more nuanced.

2. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

Yes, Orino you're right.

Unfortunately the internet article said that five shillings = 60p ... which means 60 new pence. This is wrong. 60 new pence = 12 shillings.

As you've written correctly, five shillings = 60d ... which means 60 old pence.

The old system was very clear. Pounds, shillings and pence were written thus : £ s d.

Orino and mark winstanley like this.
  3. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Yes, as a generalization, I think most of their album covers are very meh. I think Village Green's cover stands up as it's a cool photo of the band with the 'ripples' coming out. But we'll get to that...

4. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

Which comes to full flourish in People Take Pictures of Each Other.

Orino, Fortuleo and mark winstanley like this.
  5. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

I was going to suggest that Ray had maybe invented new wave here, but thought it might be too much of a stretch!

The Stones are one of my blind spots, so I wouldn't have thought of "Let's Spend The Night Together" as an influence.

ajsmith and mark winstanley like this.
  6. mark winstanley

I'm a Stones fan, but it isn't something that has ever struck me...
    I guess I hear a vague relationship with the piano and ba da dada duh duh da dada... I think both songs can stand pretty secure in their own zones though

7. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

David Watts: infectious from the get-go with its march rhythm, perfect pub singalong chorus with arms akimbo while leaping in the air while yelling, “hey!”

I’m unfamiliar with The Jam’s version so will seek it out now. Edit: oh, I guess I do know this!

8. Orino

Orino Forum Resident

Pal of mine was once getting a mild dressing down from his old fashioned, devout Catholic mum for not getting his life together. Late teens.

"What you need," she said, "is some LSD".

After the Earth briefly shifted on its axis, my pal twigged what she'd meant. Luckily..

9. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

I’ve been so long out of Britain I had to think that through. LSD. Pounds, shillings and pence.

10. mark winstanley

I suppose it makes sense to post The Jam's version

11. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

David Watts
    As others have said, what a perfect opener with that little bit of chatter and the "fa fa fa" intro. As to why "fa fa fa", maybe someone suggested "la la la" and Ray said, "No, let's do something else" with a wink. At least that's how I picture that going. I also agree with @Fortuleo and others that some sections having a similar feel to "Let's Spend the Night Together". In fact, you know how a song sounds when you are about 20 or 30 feet away, and the speaker is around a corner from you? If you listen to it like that (like I did the other night while grilling), I had to pause and wonder why a Rolling Stones song entered the Spotify queue. But I think the Kinks were destined to write this song, and the Stones seemed to have been wanting to write some songs in the style of the Kinks in the '66-'67 timeframe (Connection, Mother's Little Helper). But I digress...

I had heard of the title "David Watts" over the years, but never really listened to it (and the other 8 or 9 songs from "Something Else" that I wasn't familiar with) until the past few weeks. Immediately catchy, one of those songs that you can sing along with while listening to it the first time (after the first verse). I like the little fun additions into the recording (the "hey!", for example). As far as the theme of the song, what I find so interesting is how specific yet relatable Ray's lyrics and stories are. This is about a very specific person (actually named, instead of just describing him as well-respected or a follower of fashion!), but as @mark winstanley said, practically everyone knows "that person" that would fit that kind of profile. Same deal with "Two Sisters" -- he actually names them again! Very specific, but the sentiment is universally relatable.

12. Martyj

Martyj Who dares to wake me from my slumber? -- Mr. Flash

I’ll not participate in the song discussion today, but chime in just long enough to say that, as an American, I’ve learned more about the intricacies of the English monetary system in the last 24 hours than I have in 61 years.

13. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Are you ok with a state of confusion?

14. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

I hate to admit it, but you're right. As much as I love them, I have to say that the Kinks have to be the major rock band w/the crappiest album covers. It's extremely puzzling to me since their leader attended Art School. My personal favorites are Face to Face, Preservation Act 2 & UK Jive, but even these don't compare w/those from other acts/groups.

As for "David Watts", after studio chatter reminiscent of the beginning of Revolver (which Ray kinda trashed in the UK press a year prior), the album kicks off in grand style w/a rocker which is more sophisticated than what came before, but a rocker nonetheless. It does sound a lot like "Let's Spend the Night Together" , but it has its own groove. It's interesting to note that several people have commented that they hear an Eastern European feel. Perhaps Rasa (who was born in Lithuania) had more influence in Ray's songwriting than we know about. As for the subject matter, I'm reminded of the essay "Such, Such Were The Days" by George Orwell about his schooldays, which he mainly describes as being crappy, w/the headmasters fawning over the rich and/or title boys over those on scholarship, who were made to earn their keep. As I said before, a classic beginning to a classic album.

15. Zack

Zack Senior Member

The intro is hella reminiscent of Taxman though, no?

16. mark winstanley

I live in a state of confusion :)

Yea, I actually like the album

17. All Down The Line

I remember that too!

mark winstanley and Zeki like this.
  18. All Down The Line

People may have assumed he got better?

mark winstanley likes this.
  19. mark winstanley

That is an interesting detail that didn't catch my attention.

What do you reckon...
    More confident writing?
    Natural progression?
    Something Else? :)

20. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I had to think about this for a moment before understanding that you’re talking about the dead guy. Who may have got better. :D

mark winstanley likes this.
  21. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

I'd say more confidence in doing what he wants to do, and perhaps less caring about what other people think. Also, it ties to the album cover. "Sybilla" and "Priscilla" are definitely two women whose portraits you'd expect to see in the kind of ornate turn-of-the-century frames as seen here.

[​IMG]

22. All Down The Line

The dead guy as in many people's minds that read his credit (and not knowing any better) would figure he had to be alive.

Zeki and mark winstanley like this.
  23. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Yes, I get it now. At first I thought “got better” was a reference to being a better producer. So I looked back at original post to see which of the two may have gotten better. But...anyway! Got it.

24. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Honestly, I've never felt critical of The Kinks' album covers, except Face to Face for feeling somewhat lacking in Kinkiness. Something Else, when seen in it's original shiny laminate, is beautiful.

25. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

John Mendelsohn compared the drums in the two songs in the Kink Kronikles liner notes.

Edit: Actually it was Charlie Watts and Mick Avory that were compared but "Let's Spend The Night Together" was the song that sprang to mind for me.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021