Bob Dylan: Shadow Kingdom - Digital Release June 02, 2023 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BawBag, Jun 16, 2021.

1. BawBag

BawBag Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, sorry about that. It did occur to me after I’d posted that it might set some “new album” hares running. I’d ask a mod to change but I’m going to assume that everyone who’s interested k owe what it is by now.

2. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

So you're the one who's going to come to my house and stand in front of my wheelchair!

3. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

Fingers crossed they follow the example of Nick Cave with his Idiot Lantern streaming event which was subsequently released as a live album.

jumpinjulian and Justin Brooks like this.
  4. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

I bought my ticket and confirmed that my good friend will be coming over to watch. We are going to BBQ and drink pricey beer. He and I have been going to Dylan shows together since 2001!

5. scottc

scottc Forum Resident

Assuming it is pre-recorded, do we think it will be “polished” in the studio, like the 30th anniversary concert was?

6. Ricky Lampoon

Ricky Lampoon Forum Resident

I fully expect that Bob has already thought of this. Your phone will probably ring as soon as you do it and you will be shouted at by Security - ‘turn that bloody phone off or your stream will be stopped’.

mrjinks likes this.
  7. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Really exciting. The word "live" is not used so a good chance it will be pre-recorded, I think. Still great news. I hope he does songs from R&RW and a few rarely heard ones. Rather than going through The Set.

Elliottmarx likes this.
  8. capt.co

capt.co Forum Resident

Then you really should have bought one for him too...

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Bob "Disinformation" Dylan doing a heart-to-heart presentation like Springsteen?

Maybe when he comes back in another life as a red stapler. Not in this one.

10. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Bob likes to keep the stage super dim with minimal lighting, keeping him barely visible.

Wonder how bad his webcam will be!

11. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I remember seeing him at Hop Farm festival some years ago. My sister-in-law had helped w organisation so we had VIP tent passes. Went in for a while and watched it on the TV there. This woman standing nearby squinted at the screen. Took a few steps closer. Squinted again at this static longshot of a tiny figure on the stage. Walked forward until her nose was against the screen and turned to me and said, "It could be anybody, couldn't it?"

Doggiedogma likes this.
  12. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Very exciting news....but I'm reminded of how things went the last time he was drafted into a broadcast performance. Eerily similar conditions nowadays! :laugh:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  13. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

When I first read about this I wondered if the time he spent at Ardmore studios in 2017 was for this purpose.

14. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

It's been only a few hours and already the curiosity is killing me.

Friday afternoon is a long time from now.

Elliottmarx likes this.
  15. TheGoodDoctor

TheGoodDoctor It used to go something like that

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it’s 18 July rather than 18 June...

CBackley, Richard--W, timnor and 2 others like this.
  16. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

That could be it exactly.

Bink likes this.
  17. My Echo My Shadow And Me

My Echo My Shadow And Me Forum Resident

Would have been a great title for a Dylan album.

shadow blaster likes this.
  18. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Most of his recent albums have been basically live in the studio. My guess is, they filmed him recording a new album, in addition to some classic songs, selected the best takes, did any sweetening necessary, and will be screening that footage. Then his new album, called Shadow Kingdom, will be released in August. Then Bootleg Series 16 will be announced in September. All guesses, though and wishful thinking at that.

Elliottmarx likes this.
  19. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

My first reaction to that statement was that perhaps he will perform the alternate (and presumably recently written) lyrics to certain songs that were published. But that may just be some heavy speculation and wishful thinking.

20. capt.co

capt.co Forum Resident

My reply was just a joke, BTW. (About what your friend was supposed to be doing while you watched...)
    Was not trying to shame anyone for only buying one -virtual- ticket.
    (I really should learn to use one of these more often: :p)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    LonesomeDayBlues likes this.
  21. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

Excellent news!!! Can't wait!!!

22. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

I don't like the "song," but lots of other people seem to. So what are everyone's thoughts on the possibility of him performing "Murder Most Foul" as part of this? I ask because this opportunity, with the ability to read the lyrics and start over again if he makes a mistake, could potentially be the only realistic chance of him ever performing it.

I think it would be interesting to see him attempt to do it, but also likely incredibly boring after more than a few minutes.

23. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

He did perform "Highlands" a couple times. I don't think he'd be terribly worried about mistakes if he attempted "Murder Most Foul."

24. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

I don't think he'll play it, at least not on this thing. But I've been wrong before!

Elliottmarx likes this.
  25. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Live is quite different in feel and atmosphere. Even online. Performers perform differently. The ticket price seems high to me, for what is essentially a one-time video stream.

Tim