Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Angel Dream (She’s The One OST reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Saul Pimon, Apr 7, 2021.

1. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

It’s album has always been “Greatest Hits”, and I think it’s staying there.

2. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

It wouldn't have landed on either. The genesis of "Mary Jane's Last Dance" dates back to the "Full Moon Fever" sessions and was actually tracked in 1993 under the title "Indiana Girl" and then as Rick Rubin explains in the liner notes to "Wildflowers And All The Rest", TP went back and rewrote the chorus and the song became the worldwide hit that we all know and love. But it was one of those songs that TP brought into the sessions for the "Greatest Hits" that was not amongst the ones he had written for "Wildflowers". Perhaps owing to the fact that he was going to be working the Heartbreakers again, TP went away and either composed or collated together a number of compositions specifically with the band in mind. The interesting thing about it is we know now all these years later that quite a number of the songs that were brought into the sessions ended up being recorded for "Wildflowers" further on down the road or would've ended up on the record if it had been issued to market as a double-disc programme.

3. eetu

eetu Forum Resident

On a first listen, Angel Dream is really enjoyable. Not sure if it works as an album better than She's the One, but it's certainly a refreshing look into these songs. "Supernatural Radio" sounds epic, but "California" and "Hung Up and Overdue" are better songs than the unreleased tracks included in Angel Dream.

J_D__ and FJFP like this.
  4. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

iirc, the only thing she remembered was that Girl on LSD was the last song.

ARK, Lewisboogie and FJFP like this.
  5. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

I agree. And to the point of this project, I never felt that "She's the One" wasn't a fully formed Petty album and never really thought of it as a "soundtrack". So I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around this concept. I hear it as a new compilation and I miss the tracks they removed.

6. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

Yep,
    i think they should have left it the way it was. Personally i'd just want a big box set with all of the unreleased songs there, instead of re-releasing a previous album and then making a Frankenstein project out of it. Songs missing, then adding songs....just seems weird and gets you to buy the album again, which of course i'll be getting it, but only for the 4 songs i didn't have. Just wish there was a box set with it all instead. I hate re-buying albums i already own just to get a few "new" tracks. Happens way too much.

but hey....at least Tom Petty is still being celebrated and not being forgotten. He made some wonderful music and i am so glad to have been around this era to hear it!
    :)

7. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Is there a download code with this album? I can’t seem to get a cleanly recorded side 1 of my album.

8. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

jeffrey walsh and J_D__ like this.
  9. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Pink Freud

Soniclovenoize, I respect your judgment on these things… Do you have a 25-track Wildflowers playlist?

10. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

I do! ;)

11. Hooodo Man

Hooodo Man Forum Resident

ONLY things ordered directly from the TP website of late have had a download code and this release was not part of that.

12. eetu

eetu Forum Resident

I haven’t compared this mix to the original yet, but it seems to bring more detail and a more lively presentation. The difference is very subtle, though.

All in all, I’m happy with this release even though it’s kind of a money grab.

faceinthecrowd likes this.
  13. ATMP

ATMP Forum Resident

I’m not so sure I’m going to pick up a copy of this one but I sure am glad the announcement inspired me to get a vinyl copy of She’s the One a couple of months ago. It’s a really solid album that I’d forgotten how much I enjoyed.

OptimisticGoat and FJFP like this.
  14. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

It’s just another example of the family wanting to re-write actual history and maximise the finances of the estate with a new must buy release. Wait ‘til they “reissue” the original track- list as a one off for RSD 2026…. Just when you thought it was lost forever…

15. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

The amount of complaints surfacing about the pressing defects of this release is troubling. If the TP estate want to keep goodwill and keep customers buying their releases they need to sort this out.

faceinthecrowd likes this.
  16. eetu

eetu Forum Resident

My copy is flawless. And the Wildflowers box set. And American Treasure. I must be lucky.

17. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

I'm going to try to be as diplomatic as possible here in stating that this is the type of posting that crosses the line between opinion and accusation. Opinion is fine, accusation or attempting to ascribe intent as it pertains to those involved with the creative of this release is not.

18. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

I have nearly every release including those sets and they are all flawless and impeccable. This release is a major step down in quality, and I’ll now be holding out for reviews before buying whatever comes next.

Porkpie likes this.
  19. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

But my copy is flawless.

20. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

There is no information on the website whether or not this download is MP3 or better. Hopefully this will be updated.

Peja11 likes this.
  21. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

I was referring only to the website albeit not very clearly.

Hooodo Man likes this.
  22. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

i'd be shocked if they wait that long even!

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  23. tfunk182

tfunk182 Forum Resident

@McCool I'm assuming the regular Hi Res download coming out next month will have more dynamic range than the original She's The One Cd?

24. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

I'm going to hand the specifics of this question over to @ryan de topanga but I believe it was mentioned from the outset that "Angel Dream (Songs And Music From The Motion Picture: She's The One)" is going to feature more dynamic range certainly than it's nineties predecessor. Over to you Ryan...

faceinthecrowd and tfunk182 like this.
  25. ryan de topanga

ryan de topanga Forum Resident

Yes. More dynamic range. Like everything we've done in hi-res for the Petty catalog. More dynamic range for the CD as well. Get out your DR meters, folks! ;-)