Bob Dylan: Shadow Kingdom - Digital Release June 02, 2023 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BawBag, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Billchi_11

Billchi_11 What would DBoon do?

Won’t people be recording it, so it’ll be all over the ‘net the next day for free?

timnor and MRamble like this.
  2. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

no worries at all… it will be just like the time we snuck into the soundcheck at a UC Irvine show back in the day. To live outside the law, you must be honest.

3. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

One thing is for certain, Dylan's team is airtight. Nothing ever leaks. Every single announcement is a complete surprise.

Well done.

4. S1m0ne

S1m0ne Forum Resident

This will be the setlist:

First set: a complete start-to-finish performance of the Knocked Out Loaded album for its 35th anniversary (kids choir included)
    Second set: "The Best Of The Sinatra Years"
    Encore: Band Of The Hand

Getting serious: I wonder if he will be still sitting at the piano or will play some guitar...

5. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I'd better find something else to think about in the interim.

I hope he doesn't sing Things Have Changed. I'm sick of it.

He didn't sing The Times They Are A-Changin' half as often
    as he sings Things Have Changed.

6. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

I'd be okay with that actually. :)

He could do what Fogerty did and make it a family thing, get Jakob and Pablo to join. :winkgrin:

fallbreaks likes this.
  7. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

I
    it seems that you have until midnight on the Tuesday to watch it, if that helps.

8. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Bob is 80 years old. He can do whatever he pleases. I'm happy he's still breathing.

9. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Actually, that would at least be interesting and certainly surprising. Maybe he'd totally reinvent Knocked Out Loaded and cause everyone to reappraise it. A rockin' "Band of the Hand" wouldn't be bad at all.

10. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Especially if the broadcast turns out to be only fifteen minutes long. I mean it only says he's going to perform songs from his extensive body of work. I want to know exactly how many songs he's going to perform in this intimate setting of his...

Dayfold likes this.
  11. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I doubt that he’ll play the guitar. When I saw him on the 2019 tour it was piano, and mainly a frontman/harmonica mix that was pretty awesome. It was cool to see him standing behind a mic without an instrument. He seemed to be pretty into it, too.

12. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

When I saw him in 2019, he did a bit of guitar, notably on "Ballad of a Thin Man," which has almost ALWAYS been a piano song for him.

13. Tube Roller

Tube Roller Well-Known Member

Springsteen on Broadway explains song lyric origins with 25 minute story about what a jerk his dad was growing up in Jersey.

Dylan on Broadway: ‘I can’t tell you what this song should mean to you….’ *plays song*

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  14. For this price, I'd watch him read the phone book.

I333I likes this.
  15. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

It’s possible that he did this when I saw him in Santa Barbara, but I’ve forgotten. Regardless, I think there’s zero chance that he’ll be on the guitar for a large portion of this show.

16. Tom Schreck

I agree. I'm about half convinced that this will just be the 2017 Ireland soundstage session.

17. Ricky Lampoon

Ricky Lampoon Forum Resident

Interesting interpretation of ‘Shadow Kingdom’ by the Hard Rains and Slow Trains podcaster. Quote:

Shadow Kingdom: All that is seen within Plato's Cave by those who have never climbed out into the sun. If one's kingdom is defined by shadows, then what is of interest is the movement toward the light!

18. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

In Santa Barbara IIRC he played guitar on the opener Beyond Here Lies Nothin. Can’t recall about Ballad of a Thin Man, but I doubt it. I do remember he was smiling through a good portion of the show. It was a great show.

19. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I’ve seen that being talked about. Interesting. I don’t know anything about that session. Can you lead me to info? Does this mean we’d get a Sinatra heavy set?

20. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

They do claim it was created for this event, though..

21. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Wow. My memory must be shot. At least I remember the majority of the show (thanks to a great recording I happened upon). And yes, I went on a whim after not seeing him in years, and being disappointed with YouTube clips that I watched. But I walked out thinking it was easily the best show of his that I’ve seen. It was incredible. He sounded twenty years younger and was having a great time!

22. Tom Schreck

Yeah, the line "the first concert performance since December 2019, and first performance since his universally acclaimed album, “Rough and Rowdy Ways”" certainly implies that this is newly recorded, but I wouldn't read too much into that. Dylan has been known to sit on a project for a while, or dig back into the archives for press photos etc. I think that Rough & Rowdy Ways was a bit of an anomaly, in that it was recorded so soon before release.

Also, the description on the site is really poorly written, to the point of nonsense. "Shadow Kingdom will showcase Bob Dylan in an intimate setting as he performs songs from his extensive body of work, created especially for this event." -- "created especially for this event" is a modifier phrase that in this case technically modifies "body of work," but that makes no sense. What I'm guessing they mean is that this production was staged specifically to be filmed as a live concert event, and to me that definitely doesn't imply that it was recorded in 2021 necessarily.

Elliottmarx and PhilBorder like this.
  23. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

It can be very hard to see him depending on where you’re sitting, so one can be forgiven for not knowing what instrument he’s even playing. I got lucky with 5th row seats or I may not have believed it myself. He doesn’t play much guitar these days, though on that tour I think he played guitar on the first song at almost every show on tour.

I333I likes this.
  24. Tom Schreck

There's not a lot of info to be had. There was confirmation that they rented out a soundstage facility in Ireland during a break in the tour and spent 2-3 days there. People speculated that it was rehearsals for a new album (unlikely, as the new material didn't materialize until 2020), a complete re-boot of "the set" (didn't happen), or a filmed concert, but it's not widely known what exactly they were up to. If they did film a concert in 2017 that's coming to light now, I wouldn't necessarily assume that it was just the 2017 set with the standards mixed in. If they had their eyes on his legacy, they probably would have stuck to originals, or maybe a few more obscure rock/blues covers like that fan auction session from 2015 or whenever that was. But this is ALL speculation on my part, based on nothing.

Elliottmarx, Dayfold and I333I like this.
  25. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

with special guests Don Rickles, Charro, and Mort Lindsay and His Orchestra

He is a Song and Dance Man after all