4k Discs -12/26/2020 Are they worth investing in?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jojopuppyfish, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

For anyone interested, a second box set, Columbia Classics Vol.2 will be released in September. Consisting of Anatomy Of A Murder, Oliver!, Sense & Sensibility, The Social Network, Stripes and Taxi Driver, all first time 4K. Includes a bonus disc of Columbia shorts, one of which is the 3 Stooges Disorder In The Court. I'm more interested in that!

jamesc, Manutius and alan967tiger like this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It's borderline random which 4K releases include new BDs and which package old ones.

I don't even think various studios are consistent in that regard. Sometimes they'll include a freshly remastered BD, sometimes it'll be the old one.

The weirdest cases - to me - are the times the package includes a fresh BD that's exclusive to the 4K set.

Seems like a waste to not make that BD available on its own!

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I bought the first one mainly to get "Lawrence of Arabia", but the others were fairly attractive as well.

This set? Not so much.

"Oliver!" is probably the title in there that will benefit the most. Nothing in there with the "leap in quality" potential of "LOA", though...

4. What a weird set. I'd really like to have Taxi Driver in 4K, but not the rest. It makes me wonder if separate release is on the way. I would think so, anyway.

5. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I believe the ones that were in the first volume are only now getting individual releases but the delay could be a consequence of the pandemic. I'm not interested in any of the films in Vol. 2 with the exception of the bonus disc. Doubtful that one will ever be released on it's own.

6. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Want more deals? Amazon has a buy 2 get 3 sale. A mix of DVD, Blu, 4K and complete series box sets. Also, many of these are already discounted so if you're looking to stock up, ya might wanna check these out. Over 100 pages to choose from.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  7. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

I am yet to make the jump to 4K.

I grew up on VHS and analogue broadcast. I am still amazed how good DVD looks, and 'plain' Blu Ray still blows my mind.

8. I bet you'll find that most of us 4K owners grew up on the same thing. Our B&W TV was larger than our color TV until about 1987, the same year we got cable. Going to the VHS store and renting movies was super cool. I didn't go blu-ray until 2011, when most people I knew had already been down that road for a few years. 10 years later I'm just starting with my 4K setup.

Manutius and shug4476 like this.
  9. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

I just don't feel like I'm missing anything with 1080p. I'd be willing to try 4k, but I am weary about re-buying all my media.

Jrr and FACE OF BOE like this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

can't seem to find this deal. Do you have a link please?

11. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Sign up for a month of netflix- you have to get the 4 user level to get 4k. Try out some of their 4K HDR content. Ask for recommendations for good quality HDR- start with Planet Earth, most of the nature shows shine with HDR. While it's not as good as disc, you can get a taste. If you like what you see, dive in to UHD player and discs. If you're not very impressed, take a pass.

How well a display handles HDR is the biggest factor in 4K enjoyment. A mid-level set probably won't be very impressive; lower level sets forget about it. A higher end set will show what 4K can deliver.

Alternatively, wait until your BD player needs to be replaced and upgrade to a UHD player. Then try a disc or two and see what you think.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  12. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

Totally agree. I've been hoping and expecting that Taxi Driver would see a release but I'm not paying the box premium for the other titles. A rather "interesting" selection of titles. o_O. I enjoy Stripes but I could think of better movies to see a 4K release.

13. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Bought my first batch of 4K discs (Mission Impossible 6 Film Boxset) don't have a 4K setup but since it comes with standard Blu-Ray discs I figured I would start the update process with movies that have a regular Blu-Ray included.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  14. Do these things have region encoding on them? If so, I'm out before I begin. Do you know how annoying it is to get certain movies in Australia? Mainly old ones. You can't even get "Gone With The Wind" on BluRay over here any more. And while it is easy to modify a DVD player to be region free, I don't know of anyone who has a modified BluRay player. So if 4K discs or players have region encoding, then forget it!

mozz and Tim Lookingbill like this.
  15. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Michael likes this.
  16. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

4Ks are region free.

17. Michael

Manapua likes this.
  18. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

They have these sales sprinkled throughout the year but don't really alert one to it. Bluray.com forum posts are great for these things!

Michael likes this.
  19. Michael

thanks...I usually visit BR.com

20. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

4K is region free as of now. But if you get a set that comes with a regular Blu-Ray that is still region coded so be weary if you buy stuff from the US since they are Region 1 encoded. You should look at buying from the UK since the selection is better. Honestly, the state of physical media in Australia is just laughable.

KatCassidy likes this.
  21. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

22. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Yep - and, speaking from Australia, that's one of the key selling points. So many great niche titles were released Region A 'locked' by boutique outfits that it became truly frustrating buying BDs. Not every title will be revisited on 4k, but it's great nonetheless.

jhm likes this.
  23. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I use the LASER brand of Blu-Ray player. They play all regions. I find them cheap secondhand - the last one I bought was $20. It’s very thin and noisy sometimes, but it does what I need it to do. I was watching the Region A Twilight Zone disc the other day.

You are right, though. Australia has it hard. Luckily we now have the Australian-run Imprint series of Blu-Ray discs - a nice little win for us.

KatCassidy likes this.
  24. Well, it looks like I'm taking the long way home. There seems to be some display issues with the LG CX 65" I purchased, so I'm having the big box store come pick it up. I won't be having them replace it.

Instead, I've opted for a mom 'n' pop store, Value Electronics in New York. They will cherry pick from different units of the same model to make sure I get a display that matches their high standard. From there, they will calibrate the TV for Dolby Vision, HDR10, SDR and Gaming Modes with the best calibration equipment available. And it's not really that much of a premium, considering that I can't even find somebody in my big ol' city who will even calibrated for HDR content, let alone make sure that I have a prime display (as they vary from unit to unit as they roll out of the factory).

The only drawback is that I'll have to wait 3 weeks to a month to get my new TV in. They might have to go through several units during the burn-in period (150-200 hours) if they find something wrong with it. Or the first one they get in might be "the one." But if this works out like it should (and it should), I know who I'll buy from in the future.

So, even though I bought a display with some defects, and I have to return it, and wait, it will work out in the end. Like I said, "The long way home." But a small premium for peace of mind? You bet!

Meanwhile, I'll be rockin' my 2011 LG plasma for just a little while longer after they come pick up the TV. :)

25. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Robert Zorn from Value Electronics posts frequently in the UHD hardware section of blu-ray.com. He seems very knowledgeable and is an A/V hobbyist as much if not more than a businessman. I think you made a wise choice. He'll take good care of you.

Sorry you had a flawed 1st experience, but it sounds like it may all be worthwhile in the end. I think you'll get a 1st class calibration. Robert talks with Stacey Spears- who posts in the forum- of Spears and Munsil fame. They make the best calibration disc.

Patience required, but rewarded in the long run...

jhm, EVOLVIST and MartyTem like this.