CSNY Deja Vu 50th anniversary reissue - May 14, 2021 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Josip, Mar 15, 2020.

1. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

I see you've also got the Neil Young Heritage box set with the 12" single of "Pushed It Over The End" on the shelf. Duly impressed.

2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i also see you aren't from america. go listen to janis joplin talk. thats a very thick strong texas accent. she didn't leave texas until after high school . now take her talking voice , try and think of a male doing it and soften it up a bit and that should be what stills sounds like

3. ET3311

ET3311 Careful with that axe, Roy.

I've only ever see it for sale one time and I jumped on it. One previous owner, all 13 titles are mint. But you can definitely tell the previous owner liked to spin Harvest more than the others.

4. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

At some point Stephen seemed to decide that lack of annunciation when singing equaled soul or something.

I don't remember where I read it, but during rehearsals for one of the CSNY tours in the 2006 Neil laid down the law in dialing back some of the showboating in the arrangements. "Wooden Ships" became tolerable again with Stephen's over singing taken down a few notches.

5. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Mine shipped only in what you’ll see up thread. It has the CSN&Y logo on the outside and looks basically like an oversized media mailer. I was concerned when I saw the pictures others posted about an expensive and heavy set shipping in such a thing.

The outer box took some hits on the way. I was so relieved to find the box set inside was totally undamaged. None of the LPs had seam splits either. Something must have worked pretty well.

Also, when I have gotten damaged items from the Rhino store they’ve been very good about replacing them in spite of the fact that I haven’t always been exactly pleasant about it.

6. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

At some point his hearing started to go and enunciation was the first to go.

7. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Would love to have been a fly on the wall on that conversation...

Frank Discussion likes this.
  8. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Pretty true, I suppose, that he eventually burned out, yet “Suite: Judy Blue Eyes” and “Helplessly Hoping” are, to me, as close to perfect songs as anyone has written, and the rest of Stills’ contributions to the CSN debut are great, and he still had four more great albums in him - Deja Vu, Stephen Stills, Stephen Stills 2, and Manassas, plus it’s not like he did nothing of worth after the first Manassas album - the 1977 boat album is pretty darn good.

Beating a dead horse, but Stills’s only “crime” or “failure” is that he didn’t have a career renaissance in the 90s like Neil did with Rockin’ in the Free World, Ragged Glory and Harvest Moon. What Neil pulled off in the 90s was a one in a thousand rock comeback, all credit to him for doing that. But that Stills couldn’t do that doesn’t lessen his achievements in the 60s and 70s.

ronbow, mmpd7680, ARK and 7 others like this.
  9. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Awesome collection. I wish I had pulled the trigger on the ’74 tour vinyl set.

10. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

It really was overpriced but . . .

11. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I felt like the Deja Vu vinyl box set was overpriced, but I ordered it anyway.

12. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

@ET3311

Looking more closely at the spines of your Neil/CSNY collection: I thought I had a pretty serious collection of those guys, but yours is next level.

gabbleratchet7 and ET3311 like this.
  13. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

I think i might’ve given in if i was actively spinning vinyl. Is the wooden box as satisfying as it looked in the pics? As I recall, the wood was ultimately changed from birch to pine, was it not?

14. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Yes it does, Louisiana and Florida, very much so

MidnightRocks, lou and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

By the way, I just read Stephen Stills biography on Amazon Kindle… Really really good book that talks a lot about Stephens musical journey. Leaves out most of the personal bs.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Stephen was only born in Texas but didn’t live there long but Louisiana is definitely a source for his accent

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

Found it. David Browne's CNSY book...

"While working up “Wooden Ships,” Stills went into one of the standard Crosby, Stills and Nash concert shticks—holding the last syllable in the word “language” in the introduction as long as possible while looking at his watch. “Wait a second—what the **** is this?” Young snapped, and that gimmick was now out of the show."

18. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

:thumbsup:
    Interesting dynamic.

19. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Maybe even more significant for Neil is that he had his first “comeback” in the late seventies with Comes A Time, and especially Rust Never Sleeps. Ending that decade on a higher note that he started it was nothing short of amazing, and a credit to Neil’s artistry that it was possible at all. That high water mark bought him enough good will to get through the eighties to then have his second act.

Unfortunately for Stills he was coming off of an attempt at a disco makeover, and then the rejection of an album. However, had it been released, and been successful, the music he was making wouldn’t have been received in the way Neil’s was. Who would expect the guy who made “Heart Of Gold” to also provide the perfect hippie/boomer complement to punk? Stills was going for an R&B/blues-rock thing, whereas Neil went to the belly of the beast to confront his detractors with the most vital music he ever made. All of the stars aligned twice.

That unreleased Stills CBS album is still my holy grail.

20. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I finally bit and ordered the LP/CD set. The way I figured it was that if I bought the July RSD alternate "Deja Vu" release, that would have cost around $25 or so. I got the full set for just short of $80 so for the additional $55, I get the remastered LP and the other 3 cd's. Putting it in that context, it was too hard to resist. Some of those outtakes and unreleased tracks are just too good not to have them.

Matthew Tate and ET3311 like this.
  21. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

All good points, although I rate the trilogy of Ragged Glory/Harvest Moon/Sleeps with Angels far higher artistically than Comes a Time/Rust Never Sleeps, which are filled in large part with inferior remakes of recycled early 70s material, and I personally find Hey Hey My My a cynical, shallow take on “the story of uh Johneee Rotten,” but, obviously, as you note, lots of people lapped up that namedrop as proof that Neil was still “with it” or whatever.

ARK, Chief, stevef and 3 others like this.
  22. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Joni Mitchell’s new Archives Vol. 2 box set just went up for sale as a 10 LP box … for $249. Or the exact same price as the 5 LP Deja Vu 50 set. I freely chose to buy the CSNY set, and I am eagerly awaiting it, but I hope Croz enjoys the new sailboat he buys with the proceeds. :p

23. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Yes Stills made Crosby’s and Nash’s songs better with his arrangement ideas and instrumental contributions. Watched an interview with Nash where he talks about playing Teach Your Children to Stills for the first time. Stills told him it was a great song but to never sing it like Graham did ever again, he made suggestions and they did it with acoustic guitars, Jerry added pedal steel and they had the next single.

mmpd7680, Matthew Tate and lambfan68 like this.
  24. St. Matthew

St. Matthew Forum Resident

I find the name dropping of other musicians in songs to be extremely cringy. They’re just trying to sound hip. If I’m listening to Neil Young, I don’t want to hear about Johnny Rotten. If I’m listening to Paul McCartney, then I don’t want to hear anything about Jimmy Page. If I were Neil Young or Paul McCartney, I should have enough confidence to not stoop down and name dropping musicians that are a few tiers below them.

25. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I don’t doubt Neil’s sincerity in trying to relate to the punk movement, or whatever point he was trying to get across. I don’t find the Johnny Rotten reference cringy so much as trite. Obviously, name dropping Johnny Rotten worked and was enough to convince many listeners that Neil still had his finger on the pulse or whatever. I’m personally not a fan of the entire Rust Never Sleeps album, although I know it’s hailed as one of Neil’s masterpieces. For me, he lost the plot after Zuma and only fully regained his muse with Ragged Glory, although even that opens with two recycled 70s tracks.

Michael Macrone and Tom Daniels like this.