Contemporary Records 70th Anniversary Reissue Series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by p.analogowy, Jun 19, 2021.

1. p.analogowy

p.analogowy Forum Resident Thread Starter

It appears that Contemporary Records will be celebrating their 70th anniversary with a vinyl reissue series.
    Several preorders are available at retailers and the details in the listings suggest these will be all-analog mastered by Bernie Grundman from the original tapes. The initial schedule looks as follows:

13 August 2021

Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section
    Art Pepper + Eleven

17 September 2021

Barney Kessel et. al. - The Poll Winners
    Hampton Hawes et. al. - Four!
    Ornette Coleman - Genesis of Genius 2LP set (Something Else!!!, Tomorrow is the Question!)

2. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

At JPC:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/jazz/detail/-/art/art-pepper-meets-the-rhythm-section/hnum/10462425

An extension of the popular Original Jazz Classics series (est. 1982), the new OJC Remasters releases reveal the sonic benefits of 24-bit remastering-a technology that didn't exist when these titles were originally issued on compact disc. The addition of newly-written liner notes further enhances the illuminating quality of the OJC Remasters reissues. "Each of the recordings in this series is an all-time jazz classic," says Nick Phillips, Vice President of Jazz and Catalog A&R at Concord Music Group and producer of the series. "With these reissues, we get a fresh look and a new perspective on these artists and some of their most important work-not only from the meticulous 24-bit remastering by Joe Tarantino, but also from the insights we glean from the new liner notes that have been written for each title in the series."

Leonthepro and kt66brooklyn like this.
  3. p.analogowy

p.analogowy Forum Resident Thread Starter

That write-up is a description of the OJC series, the text itself is from around 2010.

The listing Art Pepper - The Rhythm Section at Drift Records states

“All-Analog mastering from the original tapes by Bernie Grundman at Bernie Gundman Mastering.
    Pressed on 180-gram audiophile quality vinyl at Quality Record Pressing (QRP).”

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    indyalden, Leonthepro, JoFr and 10 others like this.
  4. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

This looks better.

5. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Has Concord/Craft made an announcement yet? I hope we see Howard Rumsey although I already have several albums from the OJC days.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  6. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Well if this ain't the best news of the day.

Briskit, Bradd, p.analogowy and 2 others like this.
  7. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

My poor wallet. Gonna have to get these too!!

Was this the fabled “lost set” of Analogue Productions contemporary reissues that got cancelled last minute? And is now being released directly from Craft?

Either way I bet the quality will be great. Wonder where they are pressed. EDIT- QRP

Can’t find them on Amazon yet BTW.

8. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

My body is ready.

(My wallet is not.)

9. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

Uff! Tone Poet, Blue Note Classic, Acoustic Sounds, British Jazz Explosion and now Contemporary (not to forget the nice reissues by Analogue Productions, Speakers Corner and Pure Pleasure) - I have to hit the Eurojackpot or have to plan a bank robbery...

Anyway, I try to be in.

10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

These are better sounding albums than the Blue Notes

11. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Hello all, just joined in this thread saw

[​IMG]

on AmzUK......product description

"Featuring an all-star quartet that includes Red Garland, Paul Chambers and 'Philly' Joe Jones, this release is part of the Contemporary Records 70th Anniversary Series. Recorded by legendary engineer Roy DuNann and all-Analog mastering from the original tapes by Bernie Grundman at Bernie Gundman Mastering."

link for any that might need it

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08Z2T6TVP?psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

...don't really know Art except his name ..so added it to my wish list and headed over to utube to listen (i like it) and then to SHFs to search and after going through the Craft One step thread found a link to this thread ... thanks @p.analogowy ...now pushed the button and roll on Aug 13th :D

Oh a question all ......this cover shows Stereo, the original was mono i believe and somewhere could be discogs iirc there was some critic of the stereo being poorly balanced so any thoughts from those that know far more than myself ..or is it simply wait and see when it arrives ?

Leonthepro, McLover and p.analogowy like this.
  12. Swann36

Hi all just logged back into Amz UK and found listed also for Aug 13th release ....

So a question as my budget is stretched already if i could afford to get only 1 .. should it be this or the 'Meets Rhythm Section' ? as i said i'm new to Art and newish to all this jazz ...but can see he is with a stella cast here or are the two albums essential ?

I'm streaming via utube this album as i write only 3 tracks in and its so different sounding to the other album ...my dad was a big band man in the 40s and this reminds me more of a 40s feel too although from '59 .... is that a fair thought to have

[​IMG]

Product description says

"Saxophonist Art Pepper's classic 1960 big band album with direction and arrangements by American jazz pianist, composer, arranger, record producer, music director and conductor, Marty Paich. The album features modern jazz classics by Gillespie, Monk, Parker, Rollins and Mulligan, including 'Move', ''Round Midnight', and 'Walkin' Shoe"

BUT no AAA reference so is this AAA like the Rhythm Section album ?

link

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08Z5TLGBB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Leonthepro and timzigs like this.
  13. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

I would say both are essential listening, but personally I prefer "Meets the Rhythm Section" more.

Also, if you can find this one from 2017, it is AAA mastered by Kevin Gray and one of my favorite Art Pepper albums (my favorite version of Art's "Besame Mucho").

Art Pepper Quartet – The Art Pepper Quartet (2017, Vinyl)

I used to see it everywhere pre-pandemic, but not sure now.

14. Swann36

Drift say on both the Art albums "Very Limited Edition" is this a limited series then ?

15. Swann36

After 1 listen to both i too prefer "Meets the Rythm Section" but i'm sure i'll get more into +Eleven with more listens ..thanks for the tip about Quartet i'll listen to it ...

neubian likes this.
  16. Natara

Natara Well-Known Member

I've just pre ordered both on vinyl 'Meets The...' is one of my favourite Jazz records and even though I have the Analogue Production from the mid 1990's which is a top draw pressing I'm curious as to how this BG will compare.

Swann36 likes this.
  17. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

Pre ordered both the Art Pepper! Hoping for Woody Shaws - Blackstone Legacy! Been after it a while!

18. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

This is all very exciting!!!

19. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

20. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Really hope this is the AP series that was supposed to happen a while back. Maybe Craft working with Chad/QRP using the masters he already did but distributing them through Craft? That would be ideal.

21. inky

inky Well-Known Member

Don't suppose there is a US distributor for this?

22. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

If it's Craft, there will be.

23. BRush

BRush Senior Member

Nice to see the Ornette Coleman titles finally get some love. Chad at Acoustic Sounds passed on remastering them, when he did his OJC series.

24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I hope a Phineas Newborn Jr. LP will be part of this series.

25. Swann36

Thanks f0r the encouragement to get both :shh:

neubian likes this.