2020 Yamaha Integrated Amps A-S1200/2200/3200

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Deadly_Icy_Calm, Mar 27, 2020.

1. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

Why does your mind go immediately to tacky? You don't have to go gaudy.

Case in point: I have a black A-S1100. The meter lights are that warm yellowish color. I like it but I'd love to seem them in that classic green. The point is I would be able set it to what I want and I'd have multiple dimmer/brightness options, not just one dimmer switch.

Do a search for stereo meters online and you'll see some examples.

https://musicianonamission.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/vu-meter-70433_1280.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/51/2a/08/512a08d66e49ad9d755be24ca7ac3327.jpg

There are more..

Google Image Result for https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?attachments/1553388257974-png.24046/

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  2. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

I don't think I've noticed a difference. We usually leave the meters off as they start to distract me after a while.

Ivand and George P like this.
  3. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Thank you for providing pictures that prove my point entirely!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  4. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

You be you.

scobb likes this.
  5. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

Check out this one:

bluemooze and siebrand like this.
  6. I’d be a bit miffed if one of the meters was off, especially for a product at this price point. How tough would it be for Yamaha to get this right?

7. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Classic "Slimer" green!
    [​IMG]
    Hmmmm lovely?!?

matrix-6 likes this.
  8. Itamar.K

Itamar.K Well-Known Member

Did someone compared the A-S1200 and the Luxman 505uX / II ?
    Can't really understand if the Luxman has BETTER sound quality? No doubt there are differences in sound signature and presentation...but overall LEVEL OF QUALITY, are the these similar or the Luxman a step above?
    I heard the older Yamaha models and current Luxman at dealers
    Thanks!

MikeJedi likes this.
  9. George P

George P Notable Member

Played my system, with my new A-S2200 for my girlfriend yesterday. She said it sounds "different," "expensive" and "classy." She, like, me, could hear things in the music we sampled that she hadn't heard before. I'm at about 75 hours. Focus isn't there yet, but bass sounds incredible. Midrange is smoother, richer than my old amp. Treble hasn't reach full clarity but it is very detailed, while being very musical.

siebrand and MikeJedi like this.
  10. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

I hear zero difference between meters off or on. I leave mine off until my kids go to bed as I think the dancing needles might attract boogered fingers...

11. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

What are your speakers( I can’t view your profile)?

12. George P

George P Notable Member

Bowers and Wilkins 704 S2.

Fixed my profile for you.

MikeJedi and Daedalus like this.
  13. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Thanks. I have never heard those speakers but from what I have read they should be mid range champs with beautifully detailed high end but needing a little power.

14. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah, the midrange is really nice, the treble is detailed without being bright. And the bass is surprisingly good for such small woofers.

Daedalus likes this.
  15. Thinking on this more, is it truly the meters that are off, or could there be some actual channel imbalance (and the meters are accurately measuring it)?

16. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks for sharing this. It's good to know. I haven't fully burned in yet, so I wasn't going to check this for myself yet.

17. aunitedlemon

Maybe with the meters on the sound is "brighter"?
    :doh:

18. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

Owning the A-S2100, I think there is a very slight perceptible difference with the meters on and off - perhaps the noise floor is lowered a tad with the meters off. To be honest, it is only notable at all for me via a/b testing - I doubt say, if fired up from cold and listening blind, I could tell whether the meters were on or off.

Overall, I think with this amp there is a slight thinness to the mid-range, notable around male vocals for example, where one might wish for a hint more body.

Which is not to say it's a bad performer by any stretch, it does many things well - treble is nicely presented though detailed, bass has a decent amount of weight for me also, though notably not as quick as a Hegel I once owned.

I've said it before, but one can tend to a sort of confirmation bias as well as preconceived notions with these amps given the vintage aesthetic. They're decidedly not that, as in warm etc. I'd even go as far to say they're unique sounding pieces, and would recommend demoing given this presentation, i.e. I wouldn't feel confident recommending a blind purchase.

19. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Meters are a distraction and not really that useful. I'm sure the illumination must have some effect on SQ. Must admit I would switch then off when listening.

20. George P

George P Notable Member

Wow, that's a long time. Thanks for sharing that.

How long did other people's 1200, 2200 and 3200s take to fully burn in?

21. George P

George P Notable Member

Sorry, I am confused. Did you check again?

22. aunitedlemon

No, I was just being punny. I couldn't resist.

ragepil and George P like this.
  23. George P

George P Notable Member

Ok, I get it now. :laugh:

(I sent you a PM)

24. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

I tried to take some photos of mine but I have a very dark record room and the panels are quite dark too, so theyre not an accurate depiction...but here you go anyway...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cporcp, Shawn, ThorensSme and 4 others like this.
  25. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Unfortunately this doesn't do it justice but at least you tried!