Bear’s Sonic Journals: Tim Buckley, Merry-Go-Round at the Carousel, June 15-16, 1968

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pbuzby, Apr 14, 2021.

1. gazatthebop

gazatthebop Forum Resident

amazon uk had 10 copies...now sold

mameyama likes this.
  2. bobbydriver

bobbydriver Forum Resident

I must have downloaded them from someone/somewhere at the time the CD came out - it wasn't 100% clear why GRR was omitted (along with a version of It Happens Every Time). It wasn't space reasons as the CD was only 55 minutes
    May have been tape damage, as there are some audible glitches, but still I would have kept them in for posterity and simply added a disclaimer

I'll dig them out and PM you a link

mameyama likes this.
  3. mameyama

mameyama Forum Resident

Thank you. It would be great to hear the missing tracks.

4. gazatthebop

mameyama likes this.
  5. bobbydriver

My copy from Amazon UK just arrived - seems to have been posted from Switzerland for some reason!

Fantastic liner notes, listening to it now and it sounds as wonderful as they say

mameyama likes this.
  6. mameyama

mameyama Forum Resident

Were there any surprise additional costs for a CD arriving from Switzerland?

7. gazatthebop

you bought from amazon seller "uniqueplace-uk." ? Despite the "uk" they are Swiss based. You could have been charged import duty

Another amazon seller with the cd are "dodax uk" and also Swiss based

8. bobbydriver

Yes that was the seller - no customs costs, but i may have just got lucky. I'd have been annoyed if i'd been stung for import duty

9. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Let me preface my comments here by saying that this is not my first purchase of anything in the Bear's Sonic Journals series, in fact I just finished spinning the Johnny Cash one last night, so I'm well aware of Bear's preferences for recording vocals and instruments and how these are released. I don't have a problem with that at all and I get it, even if can be a disorienting experience at first.

That all said, I find this Buckley one to be completely unlistenable on headphones and I had to give up after three songs. Maybe it changes later, but on these three songs, literally the only instrument on the right channel is a faint bassline, otherwise the guitar, percussion, all on the left.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not knocking the recording or the quality. It is, like the other entries in this series, exquisite and a real killer document. I just need to save this for listening on a full system and not via headphones.

10. I listened to the CD on my main system, and had the same criticisms as you as to its technical qualities, or lack thereof. I published my thoughts in the ARSC Journal.

Randy Goldberg and Six Bachelors like this.
  11. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

It's to bad. Big Brother and the Holding Company and the Johnny Cash show are one and done.
    I haven't heard the other shows from this era and I'm not going to.

Bear's recording technique was great for the most part, but why did he do this weird and awful mixes in '68? Acid flashback from '64-65?

12. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I found the audio especially disorienting between songs when there is stage patter - it sounded like there was some kind of effect or noise reduction on the talking to dampen it, which surely can't be. It almost sounded like lossy mp3 quality which, again, it surely isn't. Very strange. Perhaps not a great sonic document and it's a pity that the download only tracks had to be cut...but it is still a precious recording containing some fascinating music.

13. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Listening on headphones now, the separate channel recording doesn't bother me at all, actually makes it kind of special.