Poll: Which version of Sandoval's updated Monkees book are you purchasing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Mc, Mar 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rlp

rlp Forum Resident

2. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Looks like he's really individually signing each one instead of using one of those autopen things.

"For all of those who ordered hardback books, I have signed 1,200 signature pages which are being bound and numbered at the factory."

[​IMG]

3. dangiedr

dangiedr Senior Member

So cool (per the latest email update issued today) that Andrew's research has uncovered a "couple of photographs" that confirm that the band did enter a recording studio together in early (April?) 1966. This book is going to be a true treasure trove of data!!!!

Hep Alien, FJFP, Shawn and 6 others like this.
  4. Paul Sofronoff

Paul Sofronoff The Last Earbender

I have ordered the Super Deluxe, but I am not getting any email updates??

5. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Check your spam folders - that's where mine were going.

D-rock and apple-richard like this.
  6. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Forum Resident

Why can't Andrew use the iconic Monkees "guitar" logo?

7. FredV

FredV Senior Member

It could be a copyright issue with Rhino.

RobRoyF, Bob Dobalina and D-rock like this.
  8. rlp

rlp Forum Resident

I believe the guitar logo is owned by Rhino.

Bob Dobalina and D-rock like this.
  9. Paul Sofronoff

Thanks - tried that but not in there either.

10. readr

readr Forum Resident

Super Deluxe Edition.....
    A lifetime of work.....I want every bit of it.
    Numbered and autographed.
    I see this as being even more rare than the BluRay box.

FJFP, RobRoyF, dangiedr and 1 other person like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Hello Beatland Reader:
    Thank you to all the new people who have signed on for copies ofThe Monkees: The Day-By-Day Story!

The latest on the production of your books is that finished sample versions of the three different editions are en route to me now in Los Angeles. I am expecting them early in the week and once I can review them and confirm that everything looks as intended, I will give the printers an “OK to bind” and the manufacturing on your books will be completed. For all of those who ordered hardback books, I have signed 1,200 signature pages which are being bound and numbered at the factory. After binding, each book will be loaded into a custom “bumper box” to ensure safe travel and then shipped via a container for the long boat ride to Long Beach, California.

Once they have made it to port, your books will go directly to a fulfillment center in Sylmar, California. It is there that they will be moved from pallets and prepped for shipping to you in August.

[​IMG]
    The Man With The Golden Ear

In my last update to you, I shared some insights about Micky, Davy, Michael and Peter’s pre-Monkees years. After the series was sold to NBC in February 1966, there was still a lag time for David and Peter to return to Los Angeles and when they did, the idea of playing music together was a primary task.

The moment when they first plugged in during the pilot shooting in late 1965 had been pivotal. Davy recalled in a 1967 deposition, “Well, we talked about it ever since, you know…about doing our own music one day but you can’t just get four musicians together and go in. You have to know one another, for one thing, and you really have to understand one another musically...like I come from Manchester, Mike is from Texas, Pete from New York and Micky from LA, and there is bound to be a certain difference of opinion but you know what the music is going to be like.”

[​IMG]
    Although there is evidence the band did enter a studio and record in early 1966, only a couple of photographs survive. The rumors of hours of rehearsal tapes are likely a myth. What is for certain is that the creators of the show heard the Monkees play as a group and decided to bring in Kirshner.“There were lots of times where I thought what the boys were doing sounded lousy,” recalled Bert Schneider in late 1966, “but there were enough times where I heard them and got gooseflesh. I wanted them to sound upbeat in lyrical content. It was a matter of finding someone to help bring that out.”

“We were rehearsing our music on one of the stages,” recalled Davy in 1967, “and Donnie [Kirshner] came by to meet us all and talk about records. I suppose we didn’t really talk much to him then. We just kind of got to know one another.” Kirshner’s introduction into their world would upset the group music-making, but also bring about swift results: two Monkees albums and a score of songs to be inserted into the fast-developing television series.

[​IMG]
    Although Kirshner has been cast as the villain of the Monkees’ story, I think the rewritten 1966 chapter of my book gives a clearer picture of his intentions. I was shocked in 2006 to receive a phone call from Kirshner at my home, wanting to speak to me about the original edition of my book. I thought for sure he was upset with something I had written, but it was quite the opposite. He told me he felt I had gotten the story right and he wanted me to write his biography!

Donnie graciously granted me an interview about his work with the Monkees (much of which is included in the revised book). I somehow knew I wasn’t the person to bring his biography to market. When he passed away five years later, I received a phone call from Davy reflecting on his loss. I would learn much more of Jones’ special bond with the music man in court documents that surfaced in 2019 as I was prepping a new edition of the book.

[​IMG]
    Through extensive research, I was able to go back in time to 1966 and get a thorough account of the Monkees’ progress via court papers likely untouched since the 1960’s. It is these documents that give the new version of the book incredible clarity in the chronology and first-hand insights that are not altered by the passage of time. The bottom line is that while Don Kirshner is a controversial figure in their story, his commitment to chronicling his own history gifted something truly unique to me. I am thrilled to get to share this deep detail with you in the books that will be with you in August.

I will send you an update next week once the sample books are in hand.

Very best,

Andrew Sandoval

Beatland Books

Hep Alien, Hall Cat, readr and 8 others like this.
  12. Paul Sofronoff

Thanks D-rock !!

D-rock likes this.
  13. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member Thread Starter

This book should be phenomenal!

14. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Wow, more teasers. Can't wait for this book.

dangiedr likes this.
  15. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

The unboxing.:pineapple:

16. apple-richard

Looking fantastic!

Brian Mc, D-rock, PhoffiFozz and 2 others like this.
  17. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Can’t wait! :goodie:

Brian Mc, D-rock, PhoffiFozz and 3 others like this.
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I thought the Super Deluxe Edition is SOLD OUT?

apple-richard likes this.
  19. apple-richard

There may have been some that withdrew from overseas due to the high shipping cost.

Michael likes this.
  20. Michael

thanks...possibly.

21. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I also think he just might have printed a few extras to sell for the late arriving buyers.

D-rock, apple-richard and Michael like this.
  22. Michael

Thanks...how many Super Deluxe copies are there? any idea?

23. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

No, but we do know that there are a total of 1200 Super Deluxe and Deluxe together. How many of EACH? Your guess is as good as mine...

D-rock and apple-richard like this.
  24. Michael

thanks Bob! good enough.

D-rock, apple-richard and BobT like this.
  25. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Hello Beatland Readers!
    It has been a very busy week here, and I have much information for you in this update.

I was on a Zoom call with Michael Nesmith preparing for the upcoming Monkees farewell tour when there was a ring at the door. The FedEx man delivered samples of all three versions of the book! I had to immediately leave the call to review the contents (yes, I hung up on a Monkee to look at pictures and words about the Monkees) and instantly get back to the printers with any issues I found. Looking through 740 pages three times (plus the 40-page super deluxe supplement) took several hours. In the end, I spotted some minor things even at this late stage, and one photo flaw necessitated rerunning a 12 page “signature” (a huge grouping of pages printed at once, which are later cut and bound) to fix one image.

[​IMG]
    On a lighter note, I have made a fun video of the unboxing for you to see the three distinct versions and how they will look when they ship to you in August.
    A Journey With Michael Blessing

I did get back to Michael the next day and spent the end of the last week visiting with him at his home. Nez was in fact the first person outside of my design and editorial team to see the finished book. It was an amazing moment handing it over to him to look through. Like many serendipitous events in the journey of creating this book, it was not planned, but presented itself in just the perfect way.

I stood over his shoulder laughing endlessly at his commentary on the photos and various events chronicled in the book. Michael was also fascinated by my research regarding the Kirshner court depositions and said he could remember being in an office giving his (which ran over 200 pages in its printed form).

I know most reading this will ask, “Where are the photos and videos of this wonderful time?” Although I might have whipped out my camera and tried to document it, I didn’t take any. After all, I was a guest in my friend’s home and part of our thirty-year relationship has been treating the Monkees with a certain formality and respect.

Furthermore, the reason for my visit was not to show off the book, but because Michael and his assistant Melodie Akers specifically requested my help with organizing his archive of “older stuff”: recordings and handwritten lyrics and notes from pre- and post-Monkees. The wonderful news is that we began this process a few days ago and made some incredible discoveries! Nez has a substantial archive which I hope he will be ready to share in various forms in the new year.

I am sure another question will be, “Why has it taken you thirty years to look at Michael’s personal tapes and documents?” Well, there is one obvious answer to me. They are his personal items and I have never felt it was my right to have access without his being completely comfortable with the concept. Simply put, in the very long gestation of this book, all four Monkees were extremely helpful, but I have always tried to observe their personal boundaries.

As fans, we want to see and hear everything. And in 2022, I think we are going to get some of our archival prayers answered with more Beatland Books and possibly some audio/video projects of note. I am hoping to announce the second Beatland Book (which is in pre-production) once all of the Day-By-Day books are in the post to you. There is a lot to look forward to, so hang in there and get ready for August!

Very best,

Andrew Sandoval

Beatland Books
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.