Los Angeles area record stores

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by jamesc, Jun 16, 2016.

1. BRush

BRush Senior Member

Rockaway has been under a lot of pressure for more Retail & storage space from Silverlake Wines, which shares the building with them. I live a few blocks away and have noticed that the Wine shop has been very busy during the pandemic, there are Semi’s unloading booze out front every morning. Unfortunately I suspect Rockaway makes more from renting than selling cds & vinyl.

jamesc and Bobsblkwax like this.
  2. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

I think I I spotted the main problem:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

4. erikdavid5000

5. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

That has to be Record Surplus and Fixx. I rarely buy anything there anymore. "The Attic" on Pico was amazing. I'd buy so many rap doubles and 12"ers I'd need boxes. Japanese store owners had buyers in there everyday in the early 90's after an Aarons run. The days are over, no chance to Fixx anything. eBay completed or Discogs pricing.

Marc Perman and erikdavid5000 like this.
  6. erikdavid5000

It’s just pricing that makes no sense. An original Reach The Beach is still often a dollar bin find. This is a flimsy reissue with nothing special about it.

7. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Welcome to L.A. pricing. When I saw the line for the re-opening of Amoeba I was just amazed....just why? Fixx is an under the table $1 record show duffer....not to a 19 year old girl from Brentwood but they were pretty good opening for The Police in Orlando in '83 at the football stadium.

erikdavid5000 and MikeJedi like this.
  8. erikdavid5000

And I suspect they sit there and think “damn this is a tough racket” when product with such prices sits there moldering on the shelf and doesn’t move.

Shawn likes this.
  9. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Record Surplus can move anything at any price.

10. Really? I’ve seen stuff sit there for years.

mikeyt likes this.
  11. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Maybe Johnny Rivers albums and Herman's Hermits plus "I'm On The Right Road Now" Gary Lewis album.

12. erikdavid5000

I’ve seen the very same copy of a Fuggs album sitting there for at least 5 years. First saw it at $17.99 and it’s currently at $27.99

Shawn likes this.
  13. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Inflation :laugh:

Shawn likes this.
  14. If it didn’t sell at those prices it’s sure to move at $37.99.

erikdavid5000 likes this.
  15. erikdavid5000

I remember they used to have a “Valuable/higher priced” section right before the “A’s” but that’s gone since apparently everything in the store now fits that description.

Shawn likes this.
  16. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Everything is valuable now. You know, 3 million selling Joni Mitchell albums at $22.85 used or "Like A Virgin" for $21.45. L.A. people lap em up.

dlemaudit likes this.
  17. erikdavid5000

$21.45 is reasonable for a decent new record/reissue. It’s The Fixx for $35+ and such that makes things confusing.

Shawn likes this.
  18. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

A ringed out Madonna album that sold millions isn't. Fixx was probably sealed but Scorpio had hundreds in the 80's for $1, no takers, same with the overpressed first MCA Joan Jett album.

dlemaudit likes this.
  19. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

It’s a 40 year old sealed album. It’s not that bad a price. Record Surplus always has a good selection. Prices are rising everywhere. I’m not sure it’s fair to criticize them for pricing their inventory at market.

20. erikdavid5000

It’s a reissue. Actually, I’m not certain of that. If it’s an original sealed, it’s in insanely perfect condition.

21. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Agree, that Fixx album is priced right around what I paid for the recent RSD reissue.

22. erikdavid5000

But …. why ….. when there are probably a couple copies in the $1 bin?

23. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Because that's how I roll. Nice minty new pressing with a couple bonus tracks. Not a moment of hesitation on my part. YMMV.

24. erikdavid5000

Well, I completely feel you on the tangibility aspect.
    As for bonus tracks, the jury is still out as to if it’s a sealed original or said reissue. And I suppose the consensus by some is that it’s worth $35 + either way.

25. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Like I aid Scorpio had hundreds and hundreds of sealed copies in the mid eighties for $1 each. MCA was run poorly in the 80's. Overpressings were the norm and poor signings like Jett and a few hair metal groups tore them up as Olivia and their old guard rosters collapsed. Azoff's folly. I suppose the reissue is rightly priced for Record Surplus. Like I said they were great in concert....tight band, good singer.