Rolling Stones A Bigger Bang Live On Copacabana Beach releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sis+erRay, May 7, 2021.

1. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident Thread Starter

Music Blu-rays are usually region free.

2. LGJ

LGJ Maybe Tomorrow, Maybe Tonight

I ordered the clear vinyl 10" from Newbury Comics hoping it would sound better than the RSD PD.
    Including shipping to EU price was just about the same. I don't expect it to arrive before July though...

3. Sis+erRay

Another track...

John D. and Carl80 like this.
  4. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

What's the logic of making the SLC on Blu a total hassle for North Americans? It's a major selling point for fans when the Copa is somewhat covered on the inexpensive DVD box from 14 years ago.

5. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

I agree. I don’t really get it but here are my guesses (but I really don’t know):

Maybe they regularly sell fewer SD Blu-rays outside of Europe and Japan.
    Maybe it’s related to package labeling and they want to minimize the variants they produce. Europe seems to require the letter ratings on the discs and front of packaging.
    Maybe N. Americans are more likely to import from Europe than vice versa and there are fewer Blu-ray players in S. and C. America.
    Maybe a combination of all of the above.

Just spitballing.

If anyone else knows why, I’d like to know too.

6. drsmuts

drsmuts Forum Resident

Amazon UK pre order links are finally up.

Bink likes this.
  7. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Thank you. I have pre-ordered the 4 disc blu ray set.

Carl80 and drsmuts like this.
  8. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

As per my previous post, I have pre-ordered this from Amazon UK which currently lists the blu ray deluxe set at £48.99.

I made some enquiries in my local HMV and they are selling it at £59.99, although they told me they are not planning to order in any copies - you would need to register your interest.

So I am glad I pre-ordered with Amazon. Their price may go up but at least I have that price or cheaper guaranteed.

9. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Yeah I’ve decided to order the 4 Blu ray now as well as I want to watch the Copa beach and Salt Lake City show.

Bink likes this.
  10. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I thought I ordered the Blu-Ray deluxe whatever-it's-called set from JPC. Well, I did. Then JPC emailed me a week or so later and said me order had failed. I currently have three orders with JPC but they can't tell me which one failed. Do I order this again and risk ending up with two copies? Ouch.

11. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

That’s quite good!!

12. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Amazon UK price watch: a couple of pounds have been shaved off the deluxe blu ray set since I pre-ordered. It's now £46.93.

13. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

The blu ray deluxe set has been reduced even more on Amazon UK. Now more than £8.00 has been shaved off the price when I pre-ordered it. And strangely, the blu ray is currently cheaper than the dvd equivalent.

drsmuts and Carl80 like this.
  14. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

IORR forum talked about the Atlantic City release doing sales under 9,000 across all formats in the US.

David Gilmour last couple blu ray sets(lock/Pompeii/endless river) i think we each all region packages from the single manufacturer shipped worldwide. Had the UK age logo on the front wrapping.

I wonder if Stones management think some US fans will buy the standalone Copa blu ray and the DVD deluxe to get the best of both. Or the deluxe DVD and vinyl Copa. Some Stones releases in recent memory seemed designed to soak fans more than once(GHS fans need LP sound, CD book and surround blu, plus the alt cover). Was the San Jose vinyl better audio than matching blu version?

I think the Tokyo vinyl package came with a bonus DVD rather than blu.

15. Amblue

Amblue Forum Resident

1/2 the way through the Copacabana release, the mix is vastly improved over the Little Bang EP mix. Sounds as if the “top end” reduction was a mix error, perhaps with the push to get the digital EP out. Very clean mix with the “top end” restored.

Curveboy, jumpinjulian and Bink like this.
  16. Amblue

Amblue Forum Resident

see my recent post, mud is gone, full release is huge improvement over the EP.

J_D__ likes this.
  17. Sis+erRay

Looks like any other Rolling Stones release of the past 20 years. Bad, very bad.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: The Rolling Stones / A Bigger Bang - Live On Copacabana Beach
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR10 -0.99 dB -15.18 dB 2:12 01-Intro
    DR5 -0.97 dB -7.24 dB 3:59 02-Jumpin’ Jack Flash
    DR5 -0.92 dB -7.44 dB 4:29 03-It’s Only Rock ’n’ Roll (But I Like It)
    DR6 -0.92 dB -7.90 dB 3:35 04-You Got Me Rocking
    DR5 -0.97 dB -7.58 dB 4:51 05-Tumbling Dice
    DR5 -0.93 dB -7.51 dB 4:29 06-Oh No, Not You Again
    DR7 -0.98 dB -10.62 dB 5:37 07-Wild Horses
    DR6 -0.98 dB -8.22 dB 5:29 08-Rain Fall Down
    DR6 -0.91 dB -8.44 dB 12:15 09-Midnight Rambler
    DR5 -0.93 dB -7.50 dB 5:18 10-Night Time Is The Right Time
    DR9 -0.99 dB -13.84 dB 3:25 11-Band Intros
    DR8 -0.97 dB -11.33 dB 3:47 12-This Place Is Empty
    DR6 -0.97 dB -7.69 dB 3:36 13-Happy

Number of tracks: 13
    Official DR value: DR6

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 956 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

Analyzed: The Rolling Stones / A Bigger Bang - Live On Copacabana Beach

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR5 -0.94 dB -7.96 dB 6:05 01-Miss You
    DR5 -0.97 dB -7.25 dB 3:24 02-Rought Justice
    DR5 -0.94 dB -7.43 dB 3:10 03-Get Off Of My Cloud
    DR5 -0.97 dB -7.40 dB 4:12 04-Honky Tonk Women
    DR6 -0.97 dB -8.26 dB 8:02 05-Sympathy For The Devil
    DR5 -0.97 dB -7.20 dB 4:05 06-Start Me Up
    DR5 -0.96 dB -7.18 dB 6:03 07-Brown Sugar
    DR6 -0.94 dB -8.46 dB 7:21 08-You Can’t Always Get What You Want
    DR5 -0.97 dB -6.98 dB 8:17 09-(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction

Number of tracks: 9
    Official DR value: DR5

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 952 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

Adam Bosman likes this.
  18. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

01-Intro and 11-Band Intros look not that compressed, though :hide:

Sis+erRay likes this.
  19. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Like most of my pre-orders from Amazon lately, my 2-CD/2-DVD Deluxe edition won't arrive until July 16 at the earliest (according to the current estimate that was given to me.)

Heck, I'd probably receive it sooner if I just waited until release day and then ordered it, instead of pre-ordering. I miss the days when Amazon used to deliver pre-orders within 2 days of release (sometimes even on release day.)

20. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

My Amazon UK order was originally scheduled for 15th July delivery but it arrived today so you never know it could come earlier than the date you have been given.

21. drsmuts

drsmuts Forum Resident

My preorder hadn't even been dispatched today until 4pm but arrived about 10 minutes ago.

Lovely big book, etc. Looking forward to watching the shows.

Bink likes this.
  22. Sis+erRay

The Copacabana Blu-ray is just as compressed as the CD and the sound is muddy. Not a lot of things happen in the center/rear channels of the surround mix. It really sounds like an upmix of the stereo mix. In general, Copacabana just sounds poor. SLC is clearly better (though probably not in terms of compressions)

23. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

There is or was a Carnaby Street exclusive splatter 3lp limited to 1000. Sold out fast as those Carnaby Street exclusives do.

[​IMG]

tinnox likes this.
  24. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

I came here today to ask about this release. How bad is it? DR numbers are pretty weak. I'll probably still get it though. Some of them haven't been that bad, despite compression. The mixes make a difference I guess.

Is there a CD edition with the Salt Lake City show? Surprisingly hard to find that info amongst all the iterations.

25. Sipuncula

Sipuncula Forum Resident

Is this the vinyl you're talking about? I'll find out soon enough, but I was wondering how they sound. I didn't get the CD's--that "DR5 -0.94 dB -7.96 dB 6:05 01-Miss You" stuff looks pretty scary.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021