Elton John's Albums Discussion 1969-present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by D. Davis, Jun 24, 2021.

1. D. Davis

D. Davis Forum Resident Thread Starter

Starting this Tuesday, June 29th, and each Tuesday thereafter. Let's take one Elton John album a week, in chronological order, starting with Empty Sky, and discuss it. What we like, don't like, our favorite songs, trivia we may know (looking at you Regaholic...or others), and just have fun and come together and celebrate the music as EJ fans.
    So, before each Tuesday, if you like, you would listen to the scheduled album, and then we discuss on the scheduled Tuesday until the next Tuesday, where we then start discussing the next album. Kinda like a book club.
    JUNE 29-EMPTY SKY
    JULY 6-ELTON JOHN
    JULY 13-TUMBLEWEED CONNECTION
    JULY 20-"FRIENDS" ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK RECORDING
    JULY 27- 11-17-70 (17-11-70)
    AUG. 3- MADMAN ACROSS THE WATER
    (Will update schedule weeks in advance...of course you know what's coming next...Lol!)

2. Solly Bridgetower

Solly Bridgetower Elton is my golden God of music. Deal with it.

So, no commentary until Tuesday? Okay. Looking forward to it.

JonnyKidd, Sean, Fred1 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Great idea! Think there’s an old Elton albums thread here somewhere. It’s probably locked now though.

Hope I remember to contribute.:)

4. D. Davis

Join us this Tuesday, June 29, 2021 to discuss Elton's first released album Empty Sky (1969). If you like, listen to it again, process it, and then comment on it whenever you like, if you like, starting this Tuesday. Every Tuesday a new album...basically we're going in chronological order. This will be fun, I think, and something new to celebrate Elton's legacy!

JonnyKidd and Jarleboy like this.
  5. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Yes, here is the original for reference:
    Elton John Album By Album Thread
    "I'm Still Standing" ~ Part II Elton John Album By Album Thread

There are lots of posts from members no longer here so you can see different points of view.

I'm happy D. Davis wants to start a new one again. I can read the responses without having to do all the work! :righton:

6. D. Davis

JonnyKidd and tonyc like this.
  7. prymel

prymel Forum Resident

Should be fun. I know his classic period work like the back of my hand, but never really explored his 80s albums and beyond, except for the big hits.

ETA: A whole week of “Victim Of Love” will be interesting.

8. Bobby Morrow

9. Bobby Morrow

I’m actually looking forward to discussing the later albums.

JonnyKidd, MrJerry1876, Bevok and 3 others like this.
  10. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

You will do fine. Just do it how you want. Don't feel you need to copy my format. There is no right or wrong way.

Just make sure you stick to your schedule. People will get used to looking for your new posts every Tuesday.

And just have fun!

11. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Thankfully, no. ;)

Actually, you and @fredblue had a lot of Elton discussion in other threads after mine had pretty much wrapped up.

JonnyKidd and Jarleboy like this.
  12. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

Can the singles be included in the discussion as well please. I'd love a "one-stop-shop" thread with everything in chronological order to aid in purchasing this music. Of course aren't some of the tracks on the Jewel Box pre-Empty Sky? This may be a helpful site for you: Elton John Album Discography

JonnyKidd, The MEZ, Jarleboy and 2 others like this.
  13. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I might follow this since I have never gone through his discography before. I am familiar with his hits but I have only heard a handful of his albums.
    Very impressive if you manage to keep such a structured time schedule!

JonnyKidd, Jarleboy and D. Davis like this.
  14. D. Davis

Yes! Everything can/will be included, albums, singles, collaborations, etc. We can discuss the singles when we get to the albums they were released around. So, if something is looked over just jump in with it. Jewel Box will be covered when we get to it...going by release date. (Thought that would be easier.)
    Also, want "one-stop-shop"...I like that! Plan is to discuss things that don't usually get discussed either like The Muse, The Road to El Dorado, the Remixed EP that came out in 2003, etc.
    In depth discussions...every corner...From the end of the world to your town...Lol!
    That's a very good site by the way...followed it for years! Thank you!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  15. D. Davis

Thank you! I'll do my best. You all chime in anytime...we'll do this together. It'll be fun!

JonnyKidd, Jarleboy and tonyc like this.
  16. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

I can see this thread costing me some money LOL, I haven’t got any of those in bold.

17. Solly Bridgetower

We might get into which issues sound best, label vs. label, format vs. format, etc. Victim is not such a bad album when you consider what it aimed to be, which was a decent disco album.

Some of the contemporary reviews of Victim are absolutely hilarious, though. One called it one of the worst albums ever made. Another reviewer said, "Sounds like he was a victim of something." But I think those reviewers were just disappointed that he'd finished his "hot streak" of well-received albums with Taupin and Dudgeon and, four years later, still showed no sign of returning that approach.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  18. Regaholic

Regaholic Forum Resident

Great thread, DD! I will try to remember to link to the eltonjohn.com article on Empty Sky right before the 29th.

Jarleboy, tonyc and D. Davis like this.
  19. D. Davis

Thank you, sir! That is very much appreciated and very handy!

Jarleboy likes this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

Victim Of Love is actually OK if you forget it’s an Elton John album.:)

The songs are very catchy (if repetitive) and the title track is actually pretty good.

That said, I doubt Donna Summer lost any sleep over the album’s release.:D

21. Solly Bridgetower

No, it's definitely not Donna-league. But hey, he had guts trying disco in 1979.

Jarleboy and Fred1 like this.
  22. D. Davis

Just a little fun side note...my avatar,or profile pic, will change to reflect each album that we are currently discussing. Just to help keep myself and all of us on track. So, for Empty Sky, I went with the 1975 US cover.

Bevok, Jarleboy, Oyster Boy and 4 others like this.
  23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

3 0f those 6 albums are keepers: s/t, 'madman' and 'tumbleweed' (which is, arguably his greatest album ever.

the other 3 have moments, but al total a total album package, less then 5 out of 10.

JonnyKidd likes this.
  24. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Its great that it will cover everything. I think Road To El Dorado is a great Elton album. I also have the Remixed EP, but not The Muse. I will try and keep up and contribute as the thread evolves. Elton is my favourite male solo singer of all time.

25. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

I always wondered what it would be like if Elton had been more involved than just singing the songs. If he had written melodies etc and done an Elton disco album instead of a disco album with Elton singing, if you get what I mean. I also think it would have been very cool to have had an album that included both Thom Bell stuff and the Moroder-Bellotte stuff. The best of those put together could have created a much better album. Oh well.