4k Discs -12/26/2020 Are they worth investing in?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jojopuppyfish, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Thanks, Jim. You're yet another person who has good things to say about VE. I think it's a great service they provide.

On the plus side, while I wait, I had bought the goofy Three's Company DVD set, and I can finish it up on my plasma, how I started the series. Better on my old TV because 480p content looks like ass on a 4K set. Not so much on my plasma. :laugh: I can only take so much of Jack Tripper & Crew, but I should be able to polish it off before the new set comes in.

I'm viewing this whole going around the horn bit as a blessing in disguise. :agree:

jamesc, JimW and jhm like this.
  2. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Just an update on some new info I found out regarding image and audio quality of 1080BD and DVD that makes me think there's not a lot of consistency within the industry.

Last night I watched the 2021 BD of "Greenland" which came with a DVD copy. As usual the BD is amazingly tack sharp on my 720p 32in. Samsung and as usual the audio DRC (Dynamic Range Control) settings on my Sony BD player don't work on the highest compression setting "TVmode".

But even more surprising was the DVD's image quality was way too soft more so than the '80's "After Hours" DVD which is just as sharp as the BD.

And now I found that Greenland's DVD version does apply DRC compression on the beginning explosion that knocks the lead character on the ground in front of his house.

The differences between the DVD and BD audio is the BD only offers in its audio setup menu... English Dolby DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1, DVS Dolby Digital 2.0. (what does 2.0 mean? 2 channel stereo? or software version?) There is an answer I think and I'll get to that...

The DVD only offers in the audio setup menu...English Dolby Digital 5.1, DVS Dolby Digital 2.0. I set the Sony BD player DRC to "Standard" mode which allowed raising the volume on my analog connection to my Boston Acoustic's computer speakers to hear dialog and when the explosion hit, the bass and percussive part was heavily compressed. Couldn't make that happen on the BD.

Now here's what I think is the reason for the DVS/DTS confusion that I had to read with a magnifying glass on the BD case back cover.

I did a search and found sound bars offer DRC. Didn't know that but the instructions on the Best Buy link below indicates DRC only works on DTS.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/questi...question/acf74909-6788-32eb-9e61-6175d27c8cc9

I just wish Dolby would just get out of the business and let someone who can standardize audio to work with all DRC settings on all playback devices. This is just ridiculous in how much time I had to spend using a magnifying glass just to read all the Dolby audio versions and I'm still not sure if I got it right in regards to DRC working.

I'm exhausted typing this entire response.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  3. They can't get out of the audio business without getting out of the whole business, as they are an AV company. Now that Dolby Vision holds the current promise for best color reproduction in film, we're talking about a company who will definitely continue tangling the audio experience. :D

Scowl and jhm like this.
  4. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Dolby getting out of "the business".
    Hilarious

Scowl likes this.
  5. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Yeah, I know. But I can wish and dream for a better listening experience with my BluRay discs. Maybe I could sue them if they destroy my speakers. This is why I don't use my home vintage system to listen to BD's with Dolby audio. I use cheap computer speakers that I bought at Salvation Army for $6.

Better living through technology my ass.

6. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

There have not been favorable reviews of the new 4k “Willy Wonka” & “ Indiana Jones Box Set”. Too much detail & film grain scrubbing is not always a good thing.

7. Where have you seen a bad review on the Indy set? I haven't seen one. It's all been good reviews. I'm not doubting you, but I'd actually like to see a bad review to see if my eyes agree.

Oatsdad likes this.
  8. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

High Def Digest for Willy. Possibly Vulture for Indiana, but don’t quote me.

9. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

The Indiana Jones set is incredible - best those movies have ever looked on home formats. There’s not been a lot of dnr at all, it does look like you’re watching film - with all the depth and detail that entails. The complaints with Willy Wonka have been because of the framing (it’s cropped) absolutely nothing to do with grain management…

EVOLVIST likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The complaints about the "Wonka" framing may also be misguided. The framing appears to be different than the BD but I don't think anyone's yet demonstrated that it's wrong...

Joker to the thief and EVOLVIST like this.
  11. I have about 19 4K movies lines up for m to watch now, plus some I want to revisit, but I'll wait until I get my new TV in, though.

The only reason I have so many 4K films in such a short time is because by signing up for the Best Buy card, and buying the LG CX 65", I got $340 in store credit. Nothing else to do, but buy movies. The CX is going back and I finally decided on getting a burned-in and pro calibrated 77" LG C1 from Value Electronics. They do all of this for you before they ship, plus they pick out the best panel for you. Also, all of the 77" panels for the C1 have been coming in with the new "evo" panel that's found on the G1. The C1 won't reach the peak brightness of the G1, but the panel is also about the new elements in the panel for better color separation.

That's my final answer. :) I should probably get the new TV around July 17-24. If nothing bad happens during shipping, I should be fully set. Plug 'n' play and fully calibrated TV, to the nth degree, with one of the best panels on the market.

JimW and Oatsdad like this.
  12. Oatsdad

Wow - sounds like a great TV! Jealous! :)

I do love my 65" 2016 model LG OLED, though I've started to get "newer set envy". As great as the 2016 is, the newer ones are probably better.

But a) it feels frivolous to replace a TV I only bought 4 years ago that continues to work great, and b) newer models don't have 3D. I watch enough 3D that I'd miss out on a lot of content if I replaced the 2016.

Yeah, I could theoretically put the 2016 somewhere else in the house, but I live in a fairly small house and I don't have a particularly logical 2nd viewing room...

jhm and EVOLVIST like this.
  13. Thanks! What you say makes total sense to me. I'd rather get the best that I can right now, because like you, I don't want to shell out for a new TV in 5 years. I'd like to be able to stretch it to 10 years like I did my plasma. I don't know if that's possible now that I'm in the 4K world, but from my studies I'm thinking some big technological leap would have to happen before I buy another TV in less than 10 years. We're talking maybe a true RGB TV in OLED type quality, or a consumer grade OLED that goes well into 4,000 nits. As is, we're getting incremental upticks in quality with each new year, but no true game changers.

Oatsdad and Joker to the thief like this.
  14. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Here's my quandary - TV screens are getting sharper and better looking but my eyesight continues to diminish. All the visual improvements and it's still blurry without my glasses.

15. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I was back in Steve’s basement on Saturday night. We had oysters, ribeye, and various cocktails.

After dinner We powered up the Sony UHD player, Sony UHD Projector and the UHD disc of Skyfall. Oh my.

16. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

Not all Blu-rays are equal for sure. I've played plenty of blu-rays on a 133" screen. Movies like Avatar, Lucy look very good on regular Blu-ray. I have two rows of seating so I've watched from different distances.
    I would say sitting much closer on a 4K TV you would notice more of the imperfections you mentioned. Myself I've never liked sitting too close to any screen when watching a movie. Always sat in the back row when going to the movies and find myself sitting in the back row in my own Theater.

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

Here's a solution:

Wear your glasses. :shh:

RolandG, mdm08033 and EVOLVIST like this.
  18. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Ya think?

mdm08033 likes this.
  19. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I wear my glasses at Steve’s home. We sit 14.5 feet from a 120” screen. It not over doing it. We briefly watched the opening heist scene of The Dark Knight. When the aspect ration filled his screen, from a plain old 1080p Blu-ray, it was stunning. If you have the cash, and you love cinema, buy as much of the UHD presentation chain as possible.

jhm likes this.
  20. Who is Steve? Steve Rogers? Steve Martin? Steve Hoffman? And what else goes on in the basement at "Steve’s home?"

Scowl, CDV and mdm08033 like this.
  21. Oatsdad

I know it's radical, but give it a shot! :D

RolandG and BrettyD like this.
  22. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I have a 65" 4K television and Blus, 4Ks and even some DVDs look mighty fine but I can't say I see a big difference between BR and 4K. I'm sure my less than stellar eyesight may have something to do with it even with my glasses.

23. On the topics of physical media, I'm sure folks have a wishlist of UHD movies that aren't out yet. Probably at the top of my list:

The Exorcist
    The Thin Red Line
    Fight Club
    Cruising
    Taxi Driver
    (standalone release)
    Artificial Intelligence
    The Longest Day

24. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Steve, is one of my oldest friends. He a cinephile with some disposable income. I made some suggestions when he bought a new home with his fiancé. A 9.5 foot ceiling in the basement, allowed for front projection, budget Atmos, and twin subwoofers. I did the pre-wire and installed the 7 speaker, timbre matched array. What else goes on? Billiards, darts and cocktails and his fiancé falling asleep. He’s happy to share. I gave home my small Blu-ray collection and occasionally drop a UHD disc on him.

jhm likes this.
  25. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

It comes down to the source material and transfer. I’ve only watched one UHD disc, Skyfall, and don’t have anything to compare it to.

The next UHD disc on the shelf is the original Ghostbusters.