The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I agree with this totally. I think it is just such a broad musical palette, and it is so intense, even with a few tongue in cheek kind of (somewhat) novelty-ish songs, or songs that could be seen in that light, that you are left fully satisfied by the album, regardless of its actual physical length

All Down The Line and Zeki like this.
  2. Martyj

Martyj Who dares to wake me from my slumber? -- Mr. Flash

Wow. Indeed it does! I had no idea it was that short--(but it does explain how I can plow through the entire Deluxe CD during my hour + work commute.) Anyhow, thanks for breaking out your calculator and doing the math.

3. ooan

ooan Forum Resident

Nonsense , Pete got fed up with being attacked physically by Dave ( and Ray )

mark winstanley likes this.
  4. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I must ask the obvious. Did you do the song- length calculations yourself?! Just to check against Something Else?

mark winstanley and croquetlawns like this.
  5. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Well you can see Pete state lack of artistic contribution and in fighting as his main reasons for leaving in this interview here:

Pete Quaife interview

Now, I think physical attacks could certainly come under ‘in fighting’. As I mentioned before last time we discussed this, given David Quaifes more candid recollections of Pete’s treatment in Nick Hafsted’s book, it’s probable Pete was being politely non specific (while leaving this open enough for those who knew) in his description of the extent/nature of the ‘infighting’ that led him to lead the group so I don’t think his reasons stated here are ‘nonsense’ or a cover story, just perhaps understated given his brothers claims.

6. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

At the risk of incriminating myself in a basic data error, um yes I did them on the back of an envelope - literally

7. mark winstanley

Lazy Old Sun - previously unreleased alternate stereo version - alt vocal.

This sounds like a pretty enjoyable stereo mix, from what I can tell on this terrible little computer speaker set up.
    Acoustic and electric on the right.
    Drums and percussion on the left.
    Vocals in the middle.
    Unusual, but solid and interesting.
    Some nuanced differences in the vocal.

8. mark winstanley

Harry Rag alternative version.

Ray's vocal is interesting here, it has a bit more rasp to it ... like he has, or is recovering from a cold?

9. mark winstanley

David Watts alternative version.

This actually is quite texturally different to the released version.
    The arrangement seems a little different too.
    Obviously the vocal is a little different to. It has a sort of more delicate delivery, which is interesting in itself.

I prefer the released version, but this is certainly an interesting little sideline version.

10. mark winstanley

Afternoon Tea - Canadian Mono mix.

I always find mixes that seem to be region specific a little odd.....
    Is this from the album version that we learned was a folddown?
    Sorry the memory is very stretched at the moment.

Some of the backing vocals come in a little loud, and on the whole this isn't challenging the version we know and love.

Steve62 and All Down The Line like this.
  11. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D Exactly the kind of stuff I’d do!

mark winstanley likes this.
  12. mark winstanley

me too lol.... I thought about that while I was reading it.... I used to have scraps of paper with all sorts of little nonsense scribbles about stuff on them.

All Down The Line and Zeki like this.
  13. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

what do you mean? It took me almost 2 weeks to listen to it properly!

14. mark winstanley

LOL

15. mark winstanley

Little Women - backing track.

This is an intriguing little inclusion.... I assume this is a song that they never finished, and it leaves me interested in what it actually was about .... Was it a theme song to a filmed version of Louisa May Alcott's famous novel? or a song inspired by the novel.

A lot of this sounds like something that could have been on, or inspired things on the Village Green album ...

Anyway, to me this is an interesting little addition that I had forgotten about.

16. mark winstanley

Tin Soldier Man - Alternate backing track

This is a backing track that we can tie to Sand On My Shoes and the released Tin Soldier Man....
    I think this shows that the music here is actually really very good, even if it isn't particularly Rawk!

17. mark winstanley

I think that covers most of the alternate versions and mixes, and I gather that although folks may want to check them out, they seem to be tracks that are only likely to get passing comments rather than in depth discussions.... So between wrapping up the album proper and looking at these, that should give folks something to look at until Monday.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so as per normal, The Kinks release schedule is a little crazy, and it gives us some really interesting order of release things going on.....

So this is how next week will look.

Monday - Autumn Almanac single (Mr Pleasant being the B-side that we have already looked at)

Tuesday - Suzannah's Still Alive (Funny Face Being The B-side that we have already looked at)

Wednesday - The Rest of the BBC sessions, not yet posted.

Thursday - Live At Kelvin Hall part 1

Friday - Live At Kelvin Hall part 2

Saturday - Wonderboy and Polly

then the following week

Monday - The Kinks EP (cursory glance) Days single (we covered She's Got Everything from the face to face sessions)

Tuesday - Lincoln County and There Is No Life Without Love

Wednesday - The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society

So a seemingly crazy mixed up series of releases and things to look at ....

If anyone has any issues with any of that, please let me know sooner than later, so I can reconfigure it...... but it seems like that is the chronological release pattern for these.

Cheers
    Mark

18. Vagabone

Vagabone Forum Resident

Does this mean we'll be going back to two songs per day, or will that only be the case for A sides and B sides?
    Personally I think "Wonderboy" and "Polly" merit a day apiece but that's just my two pennyworth. It's your thread, as always!

Wondergirl and mark winstanley like this.
  19. mark winstanley

With Wonderboy and Polly landing on Saturday, It seems like the Sunday break leaves time and space for a deeper look.... I will likely fairly often throw up two on a Saturday, due to the Sunday break, but I can certainly back away from that if folks prefer.

I was kind of more torn on the Lincoln County/There is No Life Without Love single, actually having only one day...

I am happy to push that schedule out two days, allowing an extra day for each of those singles...

Let me know folks..., like I say, I may be driving the bus, but this thread is for all of us.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  20. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

Since Labour's in power for these songs I suggest a work-to-rule.

One song a day or we picket B sides!

21. mark winstanley

lol we'll cross the picketline with AK 47's comrade :)

zipp likes this.
  22. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Excellent interview. Thank you.

23. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

OMG! Little Women! I’d completely forgotten about this one! What a tune! It’s beautiful! Love the mellotron and bass work on this in particular. I too have wondered what the story was with this one, but I don’t believe Ray has ever commented on it. What were the lyrics like? Another Two Sisters-esque slice of sororal domesticity? Did it ever even have any lyrics?

I’ve also wondered if it was intended for an adaptation of the classic novel, although looking it up none were made in this timeframe… the closest is a BBC version in 1970.. maybe it was a pitch for something that never materialised though, like ‘All Night Stand’?? So many questions, and what a great ultra obscure piece of Kinks music!

24. mark winstanley

It really is a beautiful piece of music ....

Interestingly it was made into a series 4 times by the BBC.... It is altogether possible that someone said something to Ray in 67, perhaps in the pre-production/organisation stage of the tv series? It can often take a while for these things to come together... and the Kinks seemed to be at the BBC a fair bit.

25. mark winstanley

Taking into account @Vagabone 's comment, we'll go this way... I don't want to rush through this, and I don't want it to seem like I am rushing through this.
    Staying strictly one song a day also gives everyone plenty of time to catch up, consider their comments and all that....

So this is how it will roll folks.

Monday - Autumn Almanac single (Mr Pleasant being the B-side that we have already looked at)

Tuesday - Suzannah's Still Alive (Funny Face Being The B-side that we have already looked at)

Wednesday - The Rest of the BBC sessions, not yet posted.

Thursday - Live At Kelvin Hall part 1

Friday - Live At Kelvin Hall part 2

Saturday - Wonderboy

then the following week

Monday - Polly

Tuesday- The Kinks EP (cursory glance) Days single (we covered She's Got Everything from the face to face sessions)

Wednesday - Lincoln County

Thursday - There Is No Life Without Love

Friday - The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society