OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part4)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Looking for my “TABOO “ lens cleaner. Will that do the trick? Why is this happening? Voodoo from an enemy?

2. HiFi Guy 008

Ok, after resetting to factory defaults I had to put in the WiFi password.

plays everything networked fine. But it doesn’t recognize or show a physical SACD disc on the screen. Odd thing is, I can’t tell what layer it’s actually playing. I’ll try some some single layer discs.

3. HiFi Guy 008

I’d really appreciate some help here guys. It’s playing ripped dsd files fine. But when I put an SACD in it shows only cd.

4. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Did you go into your OPPO's "Playback Setup"} "SACD Priority" Menu and select "Stereo" or "Multichannel" as opposed to "CD mode"

If still no luck maybe confirm the following....

"HDMI Audio" set to "Bitstream"
    "SACD Output" set to "DSD"

Video resolution set to 720p or higher.......this setting can actually affect certain audio quality

Assuming you know that DSD will only be output from HDMI 2 Port and Analog outs.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  5. HiFi Guy 008

Changing the HDMI Audio from Auto to Bitstream did it. When I unplugged the unit earlier, it must have reverted to Auto. But this never happened before!

Thank you! :agree:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  6. HiFi Guy 008

Well, it’s doing it again. All of the above suggestions before make no difference today. I’m thinking it’s a hardware problem. How long to send the player in and get it back?

7. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

The longer you wait the more time you will find yourself getting frustrated with a unit that's malfunctionning. Send it now and in a few weeks you'll be able to put all of this behind you.

Linger63, HiFi Guy 008 and tmtomh like this.
  8. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

A player that reads the CD layer but not the SACD layer of hybrid SACDs is almost always having a hardware problem with the laser assembly.

9. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

If I didn't regularly clean the lens in my Oppo players, I wouldn't be able to play anything.
    The first sign of a dirty lens is trouble loading BDs. Next, only the redbook layer of hybrid SACDs is recognized.

A cleaning disc may offer temporary relief, but those discs tend to only brush a little dust off the center of the lens.

To do a good job:
    • Unplug the player.
    • Open the case.
    • Remove the cover from the drive mechanism. There may be a bit of metallic tape attached: carefully peel this off the cover so you can reattach it when you're done.
    • With the cover removed, gently slide the laser sled to a position where you can access the lens.
    • Use a cotton swab or microfiber cloth to gently clean the entire lens. A small amount of white vinegar diluted in distilled water or a little isopropyl alcohol applied to the swab or cloth may help, but isn't necessary. Be gentle - the lens is easy to scratch.
    • While you have the drive open, clean the rails on which the sled travels - they can accumulate quite a bit of gunk. Also gently blow any dust out of the unit.
    • Replace the cover, replace the screws, reattach the tape, and close the case.

Hopefully this will fix the problem. If not, the laser may need to be replaced. Oppo can do this for a fee, but it's easy to do yourself. The laser is the KEM480AAA and can be found on eBay or Amazon for between $10 and $20. Here's my guide to replacing the laser in an Oppo BDP-83. The 105 is very similar. If you decide to replace the laser yourself, consider buying more than one as you'll probably need to do it again in a few years.

The advantage of sending the unit in to Oppo is that they will check for other problems and send back a happy, clean, and fully functional unit.

Good luck!

10. HiFi Guy 008

Thank you, very much.
    Glad to hear the lasers are cheap and easily found. I’d thought that they were near extinct and expensive. Guess that’s for other players.

And…
    It’s working right again. Yup, time to send it in…

Linger63 and tmtomh like this.
  11. HiFi Guy 008

What I say to my irascible Oppo 105:

riddlemay likes this.
  12. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Perfect timing. The laser on my 83 just stopped reading DVD/CD’s. Thanks for the info!

Reese and tmtomh like this.
  13. oniiz86

oniiz86 New Member

Over 3 Hours Long Movie Continuous Playback HDMI Audio Dropout Bug Unresolved 83-0715

It's a shame that OPPO never fixed this long standing issue despite their claims in the firmware release notes, I've watched Watchmen Ultimate Cut, Schindler's List & Titanic and all experience a momentary audio dropout after the 3 hour mark, it does not matter if the audio is lossless or lossy, I know most owners have moved on from these decks but the original issue was after the 3 hour mark of continuous playback at some point, the audio would dropout completely & not resume, I believe OPPO only partially fixed this as the audio will only dropout momentarily akin to a DVD's layer change obviously without the momentary video pause, the 2 most commonly reported titles were Schindler's List & Titanic which drops out at the 3:06:25 mark, I find it strange that owners had confirmed it fixed when in fact it really wasn't, I guess the dual core design of the MTK MT8580 SoC had insufficient buffer memory.

Their 83-0715 Official firmware release notes claim,

14. oniiz86

oniiz86 New Member

@Linger63
    I know it was years ago but I believe you had confirmed that OPPO fixed this "3 hour continuous playback hdmi audio dropout bug", was curious if you in fact personally confirmed this on your BDP-105D are you certain they did in fact fix it completely? I came across your post over at AVS forums here Official OPPO BDP-105D Owner's Thread you had stated this,
    Do you still have your BDP-105D & had personally confirmed it on your player rather than taking OPPO's word in their Official 83-0715 release notes, do you have Titanic & have confirmed it no longer drops out at the 3:06:25 mark?

The HDMI Audio setting has to be set to "Bitstream" & you cannot pause or stop the film for this issue to present itself, the original bug was that the audio dropped out & didn't resume so their claims of "Resolving" this bug was to make it a "singular" audio dropout it seems, it doesn't matter if the audio is lossless or lossy, an MKV file or disc, the owner that had reported this bug back in January 2015 & took OPPO 15-16 months to release a Beta in July 2016 & made Official in August 2016 to merely "improve" this bug not fully resolve it in its entirety, a real damn shame they didn't test it thoroughly enough when they took 15 months to release an improvement on this issue :(

15. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Wow.......that was like 4 and a half years ago!!!!!!:laugh:
    Never had the 105D........I had a 105.
    Moved to a 205 several years back.
    Don't remember if I actually confirmed the update fix or not.........sorry.
    These days I probably couldn't last 3 hours anyway without pausing for a bathroom break!!:winkgrin:

I wouldn't even consider this a "bug" as such.
    1. How many 3Hr plus discs do you actually have anyway?
    2. Odds are you will have a break before 3 Hrs is up regardless.
    3. You could simply pause any 3Hr plus disc you have in the first few mins and then forget about it..........problem solved...:righton:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    Agitater likes this.
  16. oniiz86

oniiz86 New Member

Well yes I understand, still it's an egregious bug that should've never been present, no other mass market player manufacturer ever experienced an issue quite like this before, it's strange that the dual core MediaTek MT8580 SoC must have insufficient buffer memory & struggles to handle 3 hour plus films seamlessly without interruption.

There are a few I've tried that all exhibit this issue, Watchmen Ultimate Cut, Schindler's List & Titanic, the last 2 were the most commonly reported discs that owners had issues with, apparently OPPO had them on hand for testing but seems they couldn't manage to fully eradicate the bug, like I mentoined up above an owner that reported this way back in January 2015 & took OPPO 16 months till July 2016 to come out with a fix only that it was merely an improvement despite the firmware release notes claiming otherwise, I suppose they were in a rush in getting the UDP-203 player released to market & didn't bother thoroughly testing it.

83-0715 firmware release notes,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.