2020 Yamaha Integrated Amps A-S1200/2200/3200

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Deadly_Icy_Calm, Mar 27, 2020.

1. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Yeah, its a very hard one to capture on my phone in this dark room.

2. George P

George P Notable Member

Using a couple of different recordings, I compared the sound on my A-S2200* with the meters on and off. I definitely hear a consistent difference. With meters off, the sound a bit cleaner on top, but a bit duller too. With the meters on, the sound has a bit more character in the top end. The treble has a bit of "glow" to it. I think I like it better with meters on.

MikeJedi likes this.
  3. George P

George P Notable Member

Today I listened to a bunch of stuff and I am happy to report my burn in is going smoothly. I'm at 56 hours and focus/clarity is improving a lot. Looking forward to listening more tomorrow.

I found one CD that I don't normally listen to that was unlistenably bright. For the first time, I tried the tone controls and was able to tame the treble enough to enjoy the CD. What amazed me was that even with turning the treble knob a good amount (to about 9:30 on the dial) the resultant sound was not dull or odd. I was very surprised to hear this, for on my old A-S801 (and every other amp I have owned) the tone controls, when used, do not cause a smooth, musical sound. I would inevitably have a dull or bloated or oddly uneven EQ effect from using the tone controls. Not so with the A-S2200. These tone controls are great. This is incredible news, for despite buying tons of great masterings, I have quite a few CDs that need some tone control adjustment to enjoy.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  4. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

I have found the exact same thing to be true of the Kyocera A-910 and A-710 integrated amps. The only two pieces I have(out of "a bunch" :)), that have natural sounding tone controls(and at extreme settings). They sound like "tone controls in pure direct mode".

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  5. woodpigeon

woodpigeon Forum Resident

I found the War On Drugs “A Deeper Understanding” CD a bit hard on the ears but winding the A-S2100 treble knob back a little bit evens things out nicely.

George P likes this.
  6. George P

George P Notable Member

For best sound quality, are 1200/2200/3200 owners leaving their amps on 24/7 (not on standby)?

7. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

yes. However I find that it only needs about 15 mins to warm up after you turn it off. I keep mine on all the time unless I’m going to be gone for more than a day.

8. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks.

Wow, 15 min warm up is fast!

Vibrolux_Reverb likes this.
  9. Vibrolux_Reverb

to my ears that is all it really needs. I’m sure there are marginal improvements an hour after, but turn it on, give it a few minutes and start to enjoy.

George P likes this.
  10. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

No. I turn it on about 20-30 minutes prior to a listening session. I completely shut it down while not in use.

George P and rednedtugent like this.
  11. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Try out some LPs as well. It should have a great phono stage. The one in the 3000 is excellent.

12. George P

George P Notable Member

Do you think they voiced the amp with the meters on or off? The more I compare, the more I think they voiced it with the meters on.

13. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Ordered a Pangea AC14SE for my AS2200. Figured why not for 58.00 :)

George P likes this.
  14. George P

George P Notable Member

I use these inexpensive, hospital grade power cords for my A-S2200 and my SA-KI Ruby. They were recommended by a number of people on this site a few years back. I am glad I took their advice, for they are clearly made better and sound better than the stock cables: amazon link

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    Shawn and MikeJedi like this.
  15. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I leave all of my gear powered of and in standby mode. I do not find any SQ difference with my Yamaha A-S1000 when it's first powered up or after an hour or two of use.

Shawn and cporcp like this.
  17. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks for sharing that. My A-S2200 definitely benefits from hours of warm up. Last night, as an experiment, I turned it off and this morning it didn't sound nearly as good, even after about 30 minutes of warm up. As I did with my A-S801, I'll be leaving my A-S2200 on 24/7.

18. LostArk

LostArk Forum Resident

Thinking of picking up a 2200 or 3200. If anyone has the scoop on the best authorized dealer to buy from PM me. Thanks!

MikeJedi likes this.
  19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I've had very positive experiences with Safe and Sound. You could try giving them a call and see what they would do for a discount on the A-S2200/3200. I bought an open box Marantz SA-10 from them at a substantial discount. When it arrived it looked like new with no indication it was ever out of the box.

Yamaha A-S2200 Natural Sound Integrated AmplifierBlack

aunitedlemon and MikeJedi like this.
  20. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

HIFi Heaven in Wisconsin … you can call them .. excellent customer service and very very fair on pricing. Talk to Randy. Very pleased with my 2200 :)

21. Vibrolux_Reverb

ditto. You'd be amazed at the deals that have sometimes. I got my A-S1100 as a like new item for $1600. It was brand spanking new as far as I could tell. One of the best purchases I have ever made.

MikeJedi, Bill Mac and Shawn like this.
  22. UL Listed which is good to see.

23. hoffmanuser2020

hoffmanuser2020 Forum Resident

What? I thought the sides were high-gloss metal? Here's a photo of the A-S3200 from online.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

As far as I know all of the A-S*200 amps have wood sides. The A-S3200 is unique in that there is no exposed hardware. If you look at the picture you posted you can see wood grain at the top of the left side.

25. George P

George P Notable Member

[​IMG]

My AS2200 has the piano black sides.

RiRiIII likes this.