Remember the Abbott and Costello TV show? Being restored from the camera negatives at long last..

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, May 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hifidelitybill

hifidelitybill Forum Resident

Ever notice in the tv show Lou gets smacked around by just about every cast member.

2. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Forum Resident

Once again, your support and generosity is outstanding. I am delighted to announce that Stretch Goal #2 has been met and the two audio commentaries with Gilbert Gottfried, Frank Santopadre and Ron Palumbo will be included on this set!

I've gotten several inquiries about the rather unusual survival rate of these original 35mm picture and track negatives. That's not always the case with an independently produced and syndicated show from the dawn of television.

Honestly, I was in the right place at the right time 37 years ago to track them down and ensure their survival. If I hadn't been proactive with my research, most (if not all) of these master 35mm negatives would now be gone.

Check out today's update on the campaign for the full story:
    Update 13: Saving the Original 35mm Negatives · Pre-order THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW Season One Restored!

[​IMG]

3. Bob Furmanek

Yesterday's update got a nice response so I thought I'd share a little more info with you. These are the eight picture and track negatives (totaling forty-eight reels) that I saved from destruction at Film Salvage in the mid-1980s.

#1 Drug Store, #4 Vacation, #7 Vacuum Cleaner Salesman, #11 Westerner, #17 Wrestling, #19 Chimpanzee, #25 Police Rookie, #26 Safari. (These are the correct episode titles.)

I had mentioned Don Buckles as the gentleman who initially took my call and dug in the warehouse for the elements. Another person mentioned in my original handwritten notes was Robert Freedman. They went to bat for me and took the time to actually look around for the material. This was a HUGE building with literally thousands of film cans and reels. I remember they were physically slicing through films on a bandsaw to destroy them while I was inside.

I also found dozens of 2-inch quad videotapes and was able to secure those masters. One of them was a color George Burns NBC special from June 1960 that was eventually restored by the UCLA Television Archive.

Thank goodness Mr. Buckles and Mr. Freedman made the effort or these precious Abbott and Costello 35mm negatives would be long gone!

[​IMG]

4. Bob Furmanek

5. Bob Furmanek

6. Bob Furmanek

This delightful ad from Broadcasting dated February 2, 1953 shows the great appeal and huge success of this syndicated show from MCA TV Ltd. Rather than use a current image, they added a mustache on Bud to this 1946 TIME OF THEIR LIVES publicity photo!

[​IMG]

We have three weeks to go on the campaign. If you'd like to get this exciting Blu-ray and DVD release hot off the presses, preorder it today!

Pre-order THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW Season One Restored!

7. Bob Furmanek

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'll buy it just for that: those guys are hilarious, and Gilbert will undoubtedly go into his "Strawberry Malted" impression from the 1978 Bud & Lou TV movie.

Bob Furmanek likes this.
  9. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

I LOVE all these survival/discovery stories!!

Any chance of writing a book about the minutiae of the circumstances? LOL

An Aside:
    Was the classic, hysterically funny, "sharing the turkey sandwich/why keep coaxing me?" episode in season one, or was it later in the series?

Bob Furmanek likes this.
  10. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I'm a little behind on my film soundtrack recording techniques; push-pull?

11. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Here is an old article that does not include enough info, but it does have a picture and a sample sound comparison. I hope they are using a better more proper way there now. I'm sure Bob F has a place doing better....
    The Challenge of the Push-Pull Track

12. Bob Furmanek

Thanks, we're too busy doing the work to actually write about it!

That's season one, episode 14: HUNGRY. A gem!

longdist01 and Saint Johnny like this.
  13. Bob Furmanek

The 35mm push-pull transfer and vital processing is being done by Simon Daniel Sound - on original Westrex equipment. The audio quality is phenomenal!

Simon Daniel Sound

14. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Forum Resident

This seems like a worthy endeavour, good luck to you.

I’d love to see a Blu-ray of The Phil Silvers Show.

15. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Those were fascinating. It is amazing , astounding, incredible, etc that Bob was able to procure as many negatives as he did. Abbot and Costello are , for me, the greatest comedy team of all time. Great work!!

Its time for a big budget movie about Bud and Lou. They could do better than the 1980 TV movie.

longdist01 and Bob Furmanek like this.
  16. Bob Furmanek

longdist01 likes this.
  17. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Bob....Do you like cranberries?

;)

longdist01 and Bob Furmanek like this.
  18. Bob Furmanek

I LOVE 'EM!

Chip TRG and longdist01 like this.
  19. Bob Furmanek

longdist01 likes this.
  20. Bob Furmanek

JM Jones likes this.
  21. Bob Furmanek

22. Bob Furmanek

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

any further updates on this wonderful event?! I can't wait for this...

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Negative optical tracks have always been difficult to use for video transfers. It is possible to coax good sound out of them today, and there's specialized equipment that can play negative optical tracks. Variable-density adds another level of difficulty.

Saint Johnny and longdist01 like this.
  25. Bob Furmanek

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.