Is there an obscure band, musician, song that you love? Share with us. Post it on this thread..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 30, 2021.

1. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

John Wesley Harding (aka Wesley Stace)

2. bananapeel

bananapeel Active Member

only "popular" in japan, mayumi kojima is a japanese jazz musician known for being in some ads for nintendo

3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Don't know why Two Loons For Tea wasn't bigger. Definitely put them in the "Dream Pop" sub-genre. Shot this back in 2008 when they played Chicago.

heavymetaljim likes this.
  4. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

If there's one soul singer I would recommend anyone check out, it's George Jackson. He wrote music for the likes of Wilson Pickett, James Carr, Clarence Carter, Candi Staton, and Ann Peebles, but never had a significant hit of his own. The songwriting demos he recorded at FAME Studios in the late 60's/early 70's are phenomenal, delivered with a sense of earnesty few artists can capture. All they're missing is a horn section, but you barely notice their absence after a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om_xcBKAtHw&ab_channel=WallakAt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QxfmCQC3sE&ab_channel=spinning45s

5. saturdayboy

Really great stuff!

6. saturdayboy

More from Canada:

7. Dovetail7

Dovetail7 Pragmatic Purist

The Felice Bothers

8. One of the best & most criminally overlooked bands to come out of the UK ever...

9. Rubberpigg

Rubberpigg Senior Member

Green Magnet School - Throb

10. Lurgan Lad

Lurgan Lad Forum Resident

"Mornings" the late sixties composition written by Chuck Perrin and his teenage sister Mary.
    Recorded in a concrete block studio in a cornfield in Southern Illinois.
    Self financed by the young duo

11. They made my favorite album in 2006 and I'm still waiting for a second album.

12. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

They were called "Soul Country" on their first two albums. Americana for the rest.
    I call them a diamond in the rough of 90's candy country.

clhboa likes this.
  13. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

From Columbus, Ohio. I saw him more than live a couple times when I attended The Ohio State University.
    A talented guy who never got the breaks and who eventually tragically ended his life ...:(

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  14. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    clhboa and Boggmeister like this.
  15. simoncm

simoncm Forum Resident

Amory Kane - Just To Be There. My brother had one track - The Inbetween Man - on a CBS sampler, and I thought it was great, so when I found the album in a street market in France, I grabbed it! And it's all good.

CantonJester likes this.
  16. Mandocello

Mandocello My irritability keeps me alive and kicking

17. GroovyBaby

GroovyBaby Forum Resident

Lake Street Dive are a favorite of mine.

The band was formed after meeting as students at New England Conservatory of Music in Boston in 2004. The band's founding members are Rachael Price, Mike "McDuck" Olson, Bridget Kearney, and Mike Calabrese. Keyboardist Akie Bermiss joined the band on tour in 2017.

Their vocal harmonies shouldn't be overlooked. Rachael and the others are something special when they sing together.

Rachael Price – lead vocals, ukulele, guitar
    Bridget Kearney – acoustic bass, electric bass, piano, vocals
    Mike Calabrese – drums, organ, vocals
    Akie Bermiss – keyboards, organ, vocals (2017-present)
    Mike "McDuck" Olson – trumpet, guitar, piano, organ, vocals (2004-2021)

Lake Street Dive Official Website
    -
    Lake Street Dive Plays "I Want You Back" On a Boston Sidewalk

Sandy Dee and stefane like this.
  18. GroovyBaby

GroovyBaby Forum Resident

Lake Street Dive - Rich Girl (Live @Pickathon 2013)

Sandy Dee likes this.
  19. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Elizabeth Morris, the frontwoman, was also the harmony singer in Tender Trap during this period. (The 00s-10s band from Amelia Fletcher and Rob Pursey of Talulah Gosh, Heavenly, Marine Research and currently The Catenary Wires.)

Kelby A. Thomas likes this.
  20. agundamwingting

agundamwingting New Member

Anyone aware of Time Travelling Toaster? I'm a fan trying to spreaad the music

21. Kelby A. Thomas

Kelby A. Thomas Forum Resident

Thanks Danby, though not with EM, as you pointed out, I just found Birling Gap by the Catenary Wires and it's sensational!

Okay, a few minutes later and I've sampled Film Molecules by Tender Trap. This stuff is honey to my ears; if you have one, I'd be interested to follow your Bandcamp collection. Thanks again!

22. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

This is a particular favorite Catenary Wires song. It sounds like the best song Stephin Merritt never wrote:

Kelby A. Thomas likes this.
  23. Tain Snap

Tain Snap Forum Resident

Poster Children - If You See Kay (1991)

I spent a year in Champaign, Il, and the first night I was there these guys gave me a flyer. Sadly I never actually saw them live, but this song is a classic. (Unknown in the UK!)

24. heavymetaljim

heavymetaljim Active Member

I don't know why they are not more popular but great channel and songs in there and some of their covers are great. They even did a metal cover of Jump around with a crazy video.
    But this song and in particular this music video deserves way more attention :

Brickie likes this.
  25. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Go to YouTube and find Alzo (Fronte). He passed away several years ago but he left behind some beautiful music with infectious melodies with heartfelt sentiment. His first album, Alzo, is a joyous listen not only for the songs but for the amazing production. Recorded in 1971, I obtained it from a major radio station's cutout bin and why they never played it is beyond reasoning although there was high competition at the time. If you listen to it, you're in for a treat. I'd say it's his Sunflower type LP . Album title-Looking For You.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    CliffL likes this.