Denafrips Dacs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bever70, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Influxor

Influxor Active Member

Right on :)
    I am going to let it stay powered up on a desktop system in my computer room for a few weeks and then rotate it back into my main system.

2. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Just remember when you move it back to main system, it will take time to stabilize again after being powered off for the move.

bever70 likes this.
  3. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Don't forget to try NOS mode.

bever70 likes this.
  4. Beatles4503

Beatles4503 Senior Member

Placed an order this morning for a Denafrips Pontus II DAC. I'll pair it with my Bluesound Node 2i and I'll likely use both optical and coax inputs and see which offers the better sound.

inzite and Harris11235 like this.
  5. ernest787

ernest787 Forum Resident

Very interested to hear your thoughts when you get it. I have a node 2i and am still debating which dac to pair with it and the pontus is in the running

jthifi and Harris11235 like this.
  6. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

Same here! Keep us updated.

GLUDFSSR likes this.
  7. inzite

inzite Forum Resident

I am almost 2 full months into node2i via pontus ii. huge upgrade.

Harris11235 likes this.
  8. Beatles4503

At this time I am really enjoying the iFi Neo iDSD DAC. Being a mainly vinyl guy, all of this digital and streaming is a bit new to me. Cannot wait to hear what the differences might be between the dacs. Not unhappy at all with the iFi just curious as to other products performance.

Swann36 likes this.
  9. oktapod

oktapod Forum Resident

OK, a non-update but I couldn’t let this lovely topic sink to the nether regions of page n ,….
    Anyway, I am thinking about taking the punt on the Venus II in preference to the Pontus II, mainly because I want to change from the Mytek and mayhap the Pontus II might not universally improve on the Mytek, whereas the Venus II almost certainly will. More expensive, yes, but sometimes you just need to make a decision…. may leave it a few weeks before ordering for practical reasons, but unless something better is available at or around that price, and given that I am unlikely to be demoing any of this stuff at home, it’s probably going to be The One….

timind likes this.
  10. ernest787

ernest787 Forum Resident

Well I ended up buying the ares II that was listed in thr for sale forum. Wasnt planning on it but have a headphone amp sitting there collecting dust and figured might as well sell that and pick up the ares.

Cant wait to get it in and hook it up

rockin_since_58 and bever70 like this.
  11. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

I saw that. Great deal. The Ares II has really changed my listening habits. I'm still in a honeymoon period where I'm listening to favorite CDs to see how they sound through the Ares. Haven't spun much vinyl at all since it arrived (I will get back to vinyl eventually).

Since I can't play SACDs through the Denafrips, I've got my Cambridge universal player set up to both feed the Ares II and go directly to my preamp, which gives me a convenient way to do A/B comparisons. I'm still thrilled at how smooth and analog-like the Ares II is. Last night I was listening to a favorite Keith Jarrett solo piano album (Staircase), and I was struck by the way the Ares handled the piano tone -- so "round" and pleasing.

I hope you get similar results.

Jeff SSM, jmadad and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  12. Calvin_and_Hobbes

Calvin_and_Hobbes Music Lover

Surprisingly, I've had the same experience of listening to less vinyl after getting the Pontus II. This has been for the last two months.
    I think the lack of listening fatigue along with the ease of listening to local files or streaming has finally made digital audio viable for me after actively avoiding digital for the last 32 years!

Jeff SSM, bever70 and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  13. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

That doesn't surprise me at all.

14. jazzsurfer

jazzsurfer Forum Resident

For those who upgraded to the Pontus please explain why you felt you needed to from the Aries 2. I’m ready to pull the trigger on one of them

Swann36 likes this.
  15. Calvin_and_Hobbes

I can do better than that. I can tell you both why I decided to move from the Ares II to the Pontus II as well as my impressions after getting the Pontus.

In terms of the Ares, I liked it. The Ares II was loaned to me by a friend so I had the choice of either getting an Ares or something else. It was reasonably easy to listen to, though I found that a Synergistic Research UEF Blue power cord loaned by the same friend significantly reduced listening fatigue for me. It was decently good at playing music. Nothing more. Nothing less. I liked the general sound quality of the Ares II, but thought I could get more engagement out of a DAC.

Enter the Pontus. The Pontus is at a whole different level of engagement and resolution. It is at a whole different level of musicality from the Ares II. I think it is at the crux of where higher priced DACs start delivering lower and lower marginal sound quality improvements. I can see the Pontus being an end game DAC to me as I'm not so interested in trading in gear just to trade gear.

Other DACs I've recently heard were:
    Qutest (in my system for 2 months): Sounded good. Sound seems artificially hyper-detailed on the main parts of the music, but doesn't resolve all parts of the music as well as the Pontus
    Schitt Yggy: I had a brief listen. It sounded good. I think the Pontus is better at conveying textures
    Chord Hugo TT/MScaler: This was strangely uninvolving in its sound. It might be good from an "audiophile" perspective, but I wasn't engaged at all in the music coming from it.
    Simaudio Moon 280: Decent sound that was not fatiguing, but lacking in engagement compared to the Qutest

The Pontus gives me all of the engagement of the Qutest, but with more resolution of textures in music and clearer presentation of the different parts of the music. 2 months after getting the Pontus, I'm still marveling at how good music sounds on it.

adamos, ubiknik, Tony C. and 6 others like this.
  16. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

My audio dealer wants me to try out the Moon 280D, says it would do wonders in my system.
    Have not heard it yet, but seeing that you have heard it as well as the Pontus I am having 2nd thoughts.
    So to you the Pontus is a clear winner over the Moon?
    Would also like to see if anybody can compare the Venus II to the Pontus II.

17. Calvin_and_Hobbes

Well, it was not a direct comparison for me, but I think my impressions would still hold true for these reasons:

I listened to the Moon 280D versus the Qutest and the Qutest had noticeably better pace and sounded more musical to me. The Moon 280D was not harsh and easy to listen to, but failed to engage me in the music. The Qutest did.
    Compared to the Qutest, the Pontus II has a different type of pace, but still very good. The Pontus also conveys more texture than the Qutest. The presentation of the Pontus is both more refined and more detailed than the Qutest (at the same time!).
    So by process of inference, my guess is that the Pontus is substantially more engaging in sound than the Moon 280 as well as pulling out more of the music.

GLUDFSSR likes this.
  18. oktapod

oktapod Forum Resident

Me too. I’m poised over a purchase of the Venus II, but if the improvement it brings over the Pontus II is minor, I might save the cash. Though I don’t intend to be upgrading again, so even then I’m tempted to err on the side of the Venus II and be done. I’m not willing to spend more money simply because I have to draw a line somewhere and it’s a big jump up from VII to Terminator, plus it’s a bit too big for where it would have to go which would require more upheaval and expenditure on a new rack….

There has to come a point where you say to yourself, ‘that’s good enough’ and be done, right? Right??? :}

Swann36, GLUDFSSR and bever70 like this.
  19. Salparadise

Salparadise Forum Resident

Yes, an equation that’s unique to every individual. For me it’s about achieving balance in the capabilities of each component… and staying on the sensible side of the law of diminishing returns.

I bought an Ares II early this year and was extremely pleased. I realized that the amplifier had then become the bottleneck. So I built a new amp, a significant upgrade, and after listening awhile I felt confident that it would be better paired with the more robust Pontus II, so I placed the order. It feels subjectively balanced now, and I’m comfortable with what I spent.

PoetryOnPlastic likes this.
  20. Itamar.K

Itamar.K Well-Known Member

Did anyone compare the Puntos/Ares with one of the PS Audio DACs? NuWave DSD or Stellar line?
    The Pontus II caught my eyes...

21. Beatles4503

So my black Pontus II arrived today! :agree: Just placed my order this past Monday...how'd they do that?

Thing is built like a tank. You'd swear you were unboxing an integrated amplifier judging by the size and weight. Top not finish on the Pontus II.

Connected via optical and coax to Node 2I. First impression is it sounds really really good. I have a USB cable coming today sometime and I'll hook that up as well. Not sure which input will sound better? Reading around it would seem the USB may provide better performance. Clearly better sounding to me in my system than the DAC in the Node 2i and also better than the iFi Neo iDSD too.

The iFi is excellent sounding but the Pontus II (at roughly $1,000 more) provides a more relaxed but yet extended performance. More like my analog rig for sure. Great highs, beautiful full midrange and tight deep bass. Crazy good dynamics rivaling those of my analog rig.

Early impressions so far.

Regards,

Tim

Eigenvector, inzite, Swann36 and 3 others like this.
  22. oktapod

oktapod Forum Resident

Going to order the Venus II. That is all.

23. moops

moops Senior Member

Nice review of the ARES II from Darko, he tries to define what makes the ARES II just a little different.

I think he does pretty well.

24. ernest787

ernest787 Forum Resident

Just got my Ares II in and hooked it up. Was only able to listen for like an hour but I am super excited for it.

I cant wait to really sit with it this weekend

OC Zed likes this.
  25. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Make sure to not turn it off ever. It takes days to fully stabilize.