Dune to be directed by Denis Villeneuve (Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It looks like doo-doo-Doone

jamesc and hi_watt like this.
  2. How about we wait for the movie first?

Lynch’s 4Kof Dune had a documentary that was supposed to be part of it. My guess is that Lynch or Universal nixed it as part,of,the release. As to his Director’s Cut, it has some interesting moments but it even more flawed than his theatrical version.

‘I’m personally looking forward to this new version.

3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Don't get me wrong, I was just making a "pun" (if you can call it that :laugh: ) on the previous post I quoted.
    Like most of you I am looking forward to this movie, and have been since it was announced years ago...

Shoes1916, wayneklein, FVDnz and 3 others like this.
  4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

So Villeneuve is pissed theyre showing this on HBO at the same time as the theater release? I don't blame him! How does that cut into a director's "percentage" of profits?

5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

6. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Damn this looks bloody amazing!

7. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I agree, though it gives the impression that a lot of slo-mo is used, which tends to annoy me. I realize the final release may be different!

JohnK

8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Trailer #1 from Sept of last year

FVDnz likes this.
  9. Drew

Drew Senior Member

The production looks amazing on the screen. But I haven't seen a scene yet that looks like it's been adapted from the book to the movie faithfully.

10. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Good breakdown of the trailer from a huge Dune fan

FVDnz, ibanez_ax, Pete Puma and 2 others like this.
  11. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Really excited to see signs that this production is striking the proper balance between character advancement and tremendous visuals, sets and extras required to bring this book to the screen!

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

New trailer just dropped on July 22...

Leviethan, samurai, FVDnz and 6 others like this.
  13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

There are two songs from the Hans Zimmer soundtrack now available for streaming (Paul's Dream & Ripples in the Sand) 12min:18.

FVDnz likes this.
  14. Rycherocker634

Rycherocker634 Forum Resident

I don't usually watch trailers for movies I know I want to see but OMG that looks incredible!

15. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

It looks the way it looks, that really has no bearing on how good the film actually is. The script is so much more important and we have no idea what that is.
    My feeling is this would have been better as some kind of HBO series unless they give Villeneuve the same kind of artistic freedom that Jackson had with LOTR.
    So what I am saying is that unless the movie is about 4 hrs long its going to suck no matter how "good" it looks.

Vidiot likes this.
  16. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

LOVED the new trailer. I have a good feeling about this.

Dune being done in two parts. That'd be 4-5+ hours total. That should do it justice.

From Wiki...

Planned sequel
    Although the sequel has not yet been officially green-lit by Legendary, Villeneuve has stated that the 2021 film will roughly cover the first half of the novel, with a follow up covering the remaining half. He explained, "I would not agree to make this adaptation of the book with one single movie", says Villeneuve. "The world is too complex. It's a world that takes its power in details.

Shoes1916 and slipkid like this.
  17. GregM

GregM The expanding man

The previous screen adaptation of Dune had a script that didn't stray too far from the book, but the result was terrible, I thought. A successful film would need the right visuals, score, actors and camerawork to create a feeling of spirituality and political turmoil that we enjoyed in the book. I agree the best vehicle for this would have been a miniseries on HBO, but hopefully Legendary and Villeneuve have the same type of treatment built into 2-3 feature films.

The screenplay for Dune is indeed critical but not as important as the execution--not even close, I'd say.

The trailers indicate that level of sophistication where you can see the sum is greater than all the parts in conveying some of the mysticism and spirituality of Dune. No, it's not just a look and feel. Villeneuve is gifted in that. You could see signs of it in his earlier work like Sicario and Arrival.

slipkid likes this.
  18. wondergrape

wondergrape Forum Resident

Well, everything matters. It's okay to be excited.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    John Moschella likes this.
  19. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

A couple script reviews have been largely positive where one even compared the film to the Godfather. Film looks to be in very capable hands. Run time has been reported to be 2 hrs and 35 minutes in duration.

Definitely going to catch this in an IMAX screen. Don't even bother watching at home! Please film be successful, please film be successful...

And to all those lucky buggers who got to catch the Sneak Peak prior to the online trailer release - hope you all enjoyed it. First 10 minutes of the film with a "Dune, Part 1" reveal? That should hopefully give the general audience an idea...

20. John Moschella

So that means you go to see the film and it's half a story. Then if it's not a financial success you're done. Not quite the same.
    But it sounds better than trying to do the whole thing in 2 hrs.

JediJones and slipkid like this.
  21. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Apparently, the film will have a satisfying ending just to keep the first half of the story contained. I'd expect the second film would begin with the time jump so it doesn't sound like there will be a cliffhanger.

slipkid likes this.
  22. John Moschella

The problem with the Lynch film was that it needed to be 4 hrs. I went to see this when it came out. I thought the first 45 min were great. Then everything went too fast, that and the awful voice-over really killed it.
    I bet you could make a great looking trailer from that piece of trash.

slipkid and SJP like this.
  23. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Exactly!

It's like some studio higher-ups said "hey, let's get this wrapped up now and the movie went into warp-speed suckatude.

John Moschella and slipkid like this.
  24. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

He directed Arrival???

This Dune is going to be GREAT!!! :love:

FVDnz, Simon A and Rycherocker634 like this.
  25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I need to dig further into Villeneuve's back catalog. I've seen all the later stuff but not his first three (August 32nd on Earth, Maelström, or Polytechnique).

I've been meaning to re-watch Blade Runner 2049 and Enemy again for years now, but of the others I've seen although I like Sicario a lot I think Incendies is his best work.

It would be fantastic to say that after seeing Dune I think that IT is his best but that would be really saying something....

FVDnz likes this.