The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Reading your post is the first time I had even thought of it from that aspect.
    It makes some sense....
    I do sort of wonder though, that if the studio albums weren't selling much, why would a live album... but I guess one could look at it from the perspective of - if someone hears it they may pick up on the vibe created by the artificially raised crowd noise, and feel they're missing out.... perhaps that was why the audience noise was done that way.... and also why the album came out much sooner in the US, and named The Live Kinks...
    Interesting stuff

2. mark winstanley

I keep sighing when I read these posts...
    I haunted record stores... sometimes all I would do would be look through the albums to see what was there....

3. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Interesting, indeed. I was just thinking about the Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl. They were recorded for a possible live album to be released in the US only. I believe that the feeling was that their UK audience already had most if not all the songs & that they wouldn't buy an album w/the same songs. Maybe Pye thought about the same thing w/regards to the Kinks.

4. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident

Talking of the impact of the Batman theme tune on British bands of the time, let’s not forget that the “Bat-mannnn!!!” vocal melody was lifted wholesale by George Harrison for Taxman.

5. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

There is also this great version by The Ventures released in 1966. I love this entire Ventures album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN3apaqjFQs

6. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I never cared much for Kelvin Hall. I will have to re-visit it today after all the comments claiming their love for it. I guess it's an interesting document of live Kinks show, but I could do without all the audience noise. I generally do not listen to many live albums and I struggle to even get through this album. I will have to report back if I have any newfound appreciation for it.

All Down The Line, Zeki, ARL and 2 others like this.
  7. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Not me! I clearly recall when the Yamaha Music store in Sendai, Japan installed listening booths. Customers could take an album up to the counter and ask to listen to it. Headphones were hanging from a hook at each booth. I was able to sample the Deep Purple with “Mistreated” on it, live Ten Years After (“I’m going home....”), (bought both of ‘em), Heep’s “Wonderworld” (nope, couldn’t get over the awful album cover), etc. So maybe 1974? ‘75? Anyway, I thought it was a wonderful customer service. A joyous moment.

And now it’s like being thrust into heaven with streaming.

Despite what I said above, I agree with this, too. A paradox, I guess!

Back to Kinks.

8. mark winstanley

78 Records used to do that in Perth too.
    I rarely did, but on a couple of occasions I did

9. Smiler

Smiler Forum Resident

Wow, 55 years and I never made that connection!

10. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

Maybe and maybe not.

Taxman was recorded on 20/21 April 1966.

The Batman TV show was first shown in the UK on 21st May 1966.

11. DISKOJOE

12. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

13. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

I think those dates get George off the hook. But there is that similarity which Ray also identified in his pithy review of Revolver in early August 1966:

"Taxman" (by George)--lead voice, George: "It sounds like a cross between the Who and Batman. It's a bit limited, but the Beatles get over this by the sexy double-tracking. It's surprising how sexy double-tracking makes a voice sound."

If that tangent isn’t enough, I highly recommend Stevie Ray Vaughan’s cover of Taxman - flashy guitar and Howlin Wolf-ish vocals.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  14. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

There you go. The Beatles invented Batman.

15. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

16. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Uh oh. Without Mark to guide the discussion we are now riding across open countryside :D

17. charliez

charliez Charlie Zip

I wouldn’t trade the streaming world for the past, but I do wax nostalgic for the joys of finding that impossible album in the pre-eBay pre-iTunes days. My two favourites were coming across The Great Lost Kinks Album in a Bloor St 2nd hand shop in Toronto (I’d been looking for it for years!), and finding Having Fun With Elvis On Stage in a hole-in-the-wall store in Louisville. One of those albums got a lot more spins than the other (I’ll let you guess which)!

18. Zombeels

Zombeels Forum Resident

Autumn Almanac

Sorry late review for this song. My all time favourite kinks song. Ray is always giving us an angle of the trials and tribulations of the simple English life. This one works on all levels.

19. mark winstanley

Lol

20. mark winstanley

I'm not too interested in records these days, but the memories of flicking through them for hours is indelible.
    I'm not very interested in streaming.

Smiler likes this.
  21. mark winstanley

The Batman thing is quite interesting, the tv show was funny and campy, and seemingly popular everywhere. I find it hilarious that bands played the theme song.... it kind of seems like Metallica playing the Mutant Ninja Turtles theme at a concert or something :)

CheshireCat, ajsmith and Steve62 like this.
  22. DISKOJOE

Batman was an extremely popular show in the 1960s when I was a boy. To me the Adam West Batman is THE Batman. My friend Dave actually met Adam West several times at fan conventions. I have the complete series on DVD & watched the whole thing several years ago while recovering from hip replacement surgery.

23. mark winstanley

It was big in the seventies too... I probably saw every episode :)

24. DISKOJOE

I know I did several years ago. Let's just say that I still mostly enjoyed it, but I could see the limitations by the time season 3 came around :sigh:

croquetlawns and mark winstanley like this.
  25. mark winstanley

Holy snappin' duck turds Batman, how could you say such a thing:)

Zeki and DISKOJOE like this.